The Dark Mod Forums

Building computer out of spare parts

jdude

Hey all.

After upgrading my brother's computer in the other thread I had a lot of extra pieces left over, and enough to build a new computer :)

Here's what I'm hoping for:

Acer Mobo

1 gb DDR 2 ram

9600 GT Nvidia 512

150Gb HD

Registered version of windows XP

1.87ghz core 2 duo

1 dvd reader/writer

1 projector Daytek 17" monitor

1 wireless mouse

1 keyboard

8usb ports

Hopefully I will be able to sell it for around $500.00 CDN (which will all go towards school :) )

I've got everything in place to the best of my knowledge, I can't get the power button to work, it has green and white chords and the mobo doesn't have any green and white plugs anywhere where these things usually plug in. But reset works and turns it on.

So it has Power and the HD has power as well as the mobo and GPU. When I was at the computer store the other day getting my brother's computer put together with a new Mobo the guy said he tested the old CPU and it worked and he tested the old MOBO and it worked.

Their both in this computer, but when I turn it on and all the lights and such go on there's nothing on the screen. It's like no information at all is being passed to the monitor. I've tried plugging the monitor into the mobo as well as the GPU with no luck.

Here's some pictures I've taken of it. Hopefully it helps:

http://img696.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=comphelp003.jpg

I'm using a Sata to IDE adaptor for the harddrive which is an old one with windows XP installed on it. But even if the computer had no harddrive it should boot to the boot screen of ACER's mobo and you should be able to go into BIOS right?

If anyone needs any pictures specifically I can take them no problem.

Update 1:

Okay I just got the power chord to work. I'm in the midst of figuring out the pins that go in where with a friend. I took a picture that is much clearer for reference. It only has the power button plugged in atm:

http://img251.imageshack.us/i/comphelp011.jpg/

Also the Mobo is an AprireE700 (special thanks to Bikerdude for finding that out)

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireE700/AspireE700sp2.shtml

I'll keep messing around and let you guys know if I make any progress. I have no booklet and have been unable to find schematics.

Hard to say where the plugs go, in the comphelp 005 jpg I think everything will plug in on the far right side, there are green connectors (not that I am sure the green goes to green...)

But along the bottom I see aux, audio (you obviously need to plug that in), then the 3 yellow usb's, then to the right of that is the plugins I mentioned with green. (is there anything near where reset plugs in? maybe you have the reset on the power plug)

Should say something near them, I can't read anything though. Have you searched for a diagram? Do you have a mobo booklet?

You should be able to boot to Bios without an hdd plugged in.

The monitor should only work through the GPU AFTER drivers are installed. I'd pull out the gpu, plug monitor in to the mobo, then see if it starts. Then instal drivers if it does, then last thing is to instal gpu and plug into it.

I'd also try and plug into IDE if possible and skip the adaptor.

----------

Yeah, after zooming in again and looking closely I think the green connectors by the orange are where the power button plugs in, can't read anything around it though, there is aa cable in the way.

You might want to pull everything extrenal, gpu, hdd, and a stick of ram also. a bad stick of ram can waste hours. I'd first try and find the plug, test each stick of ram seperately, go from there.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I've been unable to find the schematics or any usefull booklets online. The mobo is an Acer E700 which is sort of generic, I don't think it was ever meant to be modified or used after it's usefulness ran out, likely Acer wanted this mobo in the garbage instead. I plugged the monitor into the Mobo like you said instead of the GPU. I guess I can unplug the HD too since right now my focus is on getting it to boot to Mobo. I don't care if it windows works atm I just need it to boot properly.

Also turned out I had the reset on the power XD Thanks baddcog :)

I'll pull everything out and take a new pic.

Here's some new clearer pics:

http://img60.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=comphelp013.jpg

Does the computer beep once when you turn it on? (It should, normally - although it could vary between manufacturers.) If not I would definitely suspect a CPU issue. I had this once when I hadn't seated the CPU properly (needed to use more force to shove it in - evenly-applied force of course, you can't just bash it).

As for the pins: It is crucial that every pin goes into its matching hole on the CPU. If that isn't happening, then it won't work, and I can definitely see that causing your issue (it's basically the same problem I mentioned above - CPU not seated correctly). As for bending it back into position, that's risky. If you snap the pin (and it's a very fine wire) then the mobo is fucked, beyond reasonable repair (unless you can somehow reattach it without causing a short-circuit with adjacent wires or anything like that, but that seems way too hard).

But if the bent pin isn't going into the hole anyway, then you really don't have a choice, since that will definitely cause a failure anyway - basically, you won't be any worse off with a broken pin, except that you'll have squandered a potential resource. Pins can be unbent successfully - just be gentle, dexterous, and careful. Use some fine tweezers if you can do that without harming nearby pins, or a needle otherwise.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Lol no but I use a similar system to build TDM maps.

Right now I use a 512mb 3870 + 2gb ram + 1.87ghz e6300 core 2 duo.

I have enough money to buy a new system right now. But I REALLY need to save all my money for school which I'm continuously stressing about right now :ph34r: