The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex 3

Unstoppable

yes, DX 3 is going to for sure. Exactly how much more info it will give will be a mystery until then though. I haven't heard anything about thief 4 at e3, but I would be shocked if it was- I think it's way to early in it's development for that.

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

The trailer it's good, with a *real* cyperpunk atmosphere, outstanding art direction, and a good mix of macho heros cliches (Crysis, Xmen, splinter cell, Neo/MAtrix, etc etc) .

But, it's not at all the game, it's a (good) CGI motion picture with some blockbuster style scene, produced with a lot of money, remembering the first masterpiece game atmosphere.

I'm waiting the *real* game to say "wow" or "boo".

Just my 0,02

from whats been said on the eidos site, the studio doing dx 3, once dx 3 is finished the team will switch to developing thief 4, and as the engine for dx 3 will be the same engine for thief 4 it shouldn't be such a steep learning curve for the team making it.

It doesn't look half bad, with good art direction throughout. The third person view is dubious. Still, it will be the gameplay that will make or break it. I remember how I was uninterested in original DX right up the point I played that first demo - which showed how it was much more than a basic shooter.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Other non official preview info about the game:

(taken from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397251&page=7 )

THe preview was written by Tom Francis, he loves Deus Ex.

"Hmm, this kind of is Deus Ex"

"I doubt it will be better than Deus Ex 1, but I think it might be comparable".

Adam Jensen is your name and you were a security guard until some aug'd guys removed your arms.

The story is self contained within the game and is seperate from the other 2 games.

The game is primarily a stealth game, but light levels don't affect it. Adam is able to cover against walls etc and when he does so the game goes into third person, and you can see around corners.

Silent take downs are also in third person, you can take people down non-lethally or use your augs to kill people in a very gorey silent way.

Crossbow is in!

Guards you knock out can be brought back to their senses by other guards, who then hunt for you.

You start with just your arms augmented but you can buy more augs for yourself from a Limb Clinic. These augs can then be upgraded with experience points (a metaphor for Adam Jensen getting used to them).

Augs use energy, no energy and you can't use them. You can upgrade your energy bar throughout the game with new pips and the lowest pip recharges itself slowly.

Augs listed:

Enhanced vision

Mind Reading

Mind Control (like in the trailer where he makes the guy shoot himself)

Cloak

Claymore system

Icarus landing system (jump high, stun enemies when u land)

Strength (more carrying space and upgrade to carry heavy stuff)

Wrist Blades

Hacking module

Mysterious splayed hand abilities.

Running and shooting at people will get you killed, you can die from 2-4 bullets hitting you.

Health regens there are no med packs.

You can't lose limbs (aww).

The city in the trailer is an island city built off the coast of Shanghai by one of the leading cybernetics companies. When the government wouldn't let them expand the city they just build another one on top of it. So it's a double decker island city. The developer say it's bigger than Liberty Island in the first game.

You have a female pilot.

A few characters from the original game make cameo apperances and some of the original voice actors return. The only one that seems for sure is Tracer Tong, who at this point is a computer hacker.

There is an expansive conversation system. Minor characters you just get the information from and move on, but major characters it's possible to have long conversations with resulting in either getting what you want, failing and having to try again or pissing them off so much that they won't ever talk to you again biggrin.gif The example they give is a heated argument Adam has with a mob boss.

Theres a line from Steve Szczepkowski the audio director when talking about the voice actor for Adam "That's his natural tone. I didn't want a mimic of JC, but he needed to sound like he's from the same family." Make of that what you will.

Hacking takes place in real time on screens in the game and is a minigame, screw up and a timer countsdown before you fail. Since it's real time a guard could attack you whilst you're doing it.

Theres a cover system.

You can pick up all sorts of stuff, use it as cover etc or throw at people to kill them.

This is a *really* good point IMHO:

"We don't want it to be a run and shoot game" director Jean-Francois Dugas tells me, "If you try to run at enemies, 2, 3, 4 bullets and you're dead." :D

I have been following this game on the new DX HR forum too.

Th only thing I really don't like about the game is the 3rd person bits. I am told they will not be as optional as the game info make out. Hopefully, there won't be much of it and if it's generated by an aug, I may be able to just not use those augs.

But still we have yet to see any gameplay trailer. That's going to make a heck of a difference in the way people view this project. Someone said above, they wish game devs would make trailers out of actually gameplay instead of movie style. I agree 100 % The trailers are often very misleading and the game turns out to be nothing like you think it will be by just watching the trailer alone.

I do not like the idea of a cover system either, but I understand this can be turned off in the options. I hope and pray that info is correct. There is nothing wrong with the good old crouch and use Q and E to peek method. Why they would even think to change that system is way beyond me.

I'm such a big fan of Deus Ex that I have all store bought versions.. ( Deus Ex 1 regular, Deus Ex GOTY and Deus Ex 2 - bought the month they were released) in a vault locked away and I have back up copies to work from. Plus all graphics enhancement mods like New Vision, HDTP and the EBNSeries. I want nothing ever to happen to my beloved Deus Ex. :-)

I have often said, after I have played the new Deus Ex and the new Thief 4, I can die a happy man.

Eidos better not screw this up for me.

I don't have a problem with that. Canon is overrated in gaming; DX:IW had a lot of it, but it didn't help it in the end - actually, by dedicating too much screentime to continuity, it lost its connection with the wealth of real-world conspiracy theories the original used so well.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

hm i dont mean storyline , i mean gameplay or game-essentials.

"Silent take downs are also in third person, you can take people down non-lethally or use your augs to kill people in a very gorey silent way."

this really sounds just like thief3's blackjack/ dagger combo. Meaning that its just a cosmetical choice.

Edited by _Atti_

its a prequal to dx 1 set 60 years before the event's of dx1, as far as I can tell all stealth killing is in 3rd person mode which cant be changed to 1st person, it just depends how they move from 1st person to 3rd person as sometimes that done badly can really mess things up, it doesn't mention if body awareness is there, didn't like that in thief 3, as it messed around with playing, the auto climbing ladders in thief 3 was also irratating, especially when you didn't want to climb a ladder and body awareness decided to climb the ladder. Am guessing if stealth isn't done via light and shadows, then its done via line of sight. So does that mean you can pick up a cardbord box and put it between you and a guard and the guard wont see you, although I guess there'lled be something there to make a guard investigate a cardboard box moving around.

Am guessing if stealth isn't done via light and shadows, then its done via line of sight. So does that mean you can pick up a cardbord box and put it between you and a guard and the guard wont see you, although I guess there'lled be something there to make a guard investigate a cardboard box moving around.

As I found out recently, it seems our own TDM crew sideskirted this problem simply by making objects that are picked up as transparent to AI, so they can see right through it. If its that simple to fix here in TDM, i very much doubt that it would be a big problem in dx3.

I believe it's 25 years before Deus Ex not 60. Deus Ex was 2052 Deus Ex 3 is 2027. Check out some excellent screenshots, previews and interviews. Warning spoilers.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109915

ss_preview_8.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

On whether weapons will have different ammo for both non-lethal and lethal combat...

"No, we're going more with a full cast of weapons. All of them have their unique abilities - so there's a range of lethal weapons and a range of non-lethal weapons. And it's not universal ammo: it's a specific ammo for each. We wanted to make sure that each weapon had a clear-cut functionality."

Edited by Unstoppable

It doesn't look half bad, with good art direction throughout.

Here's to hoping that the entire game isn't in sepia, though. Films and games that pick a single colour and stick to it often feel boxed in and tiring in my opinion. I actually quite liked Alien 3 for it, but that's an exception.

One thing about TDM that I've mentioned before, and it's up to the mappers to alter, is that the default yellows eminating from torches make missions look monotonous.

They are pretty damn good concept art, though.

It looks two thirds mouth-wateringly great, but that one third could break it. The jury is still out.

Vids were pretty good considering, the models and art direction seems good and very much in the spirit of DE1.

However so much for "PC Exclusive", everything about the controls looks console-tarded, the retarded amount of takedowns and other useless 3rd person crap seems amazing and truly off-putting. I really really... really hate the weapon selection screen and the cover system, they are not from a PC FPS at all and should never be seen on a PC. I know how to crouch and I know how to use a mouse. I still don't understand takedowns, they break immersion more than anything, they should be kept for FMV type stuff. The way the player blatantly loses control while watching that scene in the air-duct... well that's just a let down to see :/

I think I'll once again skip this one and just keep my memories of DE1 untainted.