The Dark Mod Forums

Linux updater binary is broken

PranQster

I tried running tdm_update.linux (after making sure it was executable) and I only got 'cannot execute binary file'.

I downloaded the updater again, from 2 different sources, replacing the original one and doing 'chmod +x tdm_update.linux' and I still get the same error when trying to run the binary. I can launch TDM 1.00 with './tdmlauncher.linux' just fine, and 'tdm_update.linux' has the same permissions and executable set.

Has anyone successfully run the linux updater?

I'm downloading the new TDM via bittorrent, but it is excruciatingly slow with only 1 seed :(

Looking for a solution...

PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I tried running tdm_update.linux (after making sure it was executable) and I only got 'cannot execute binary file'.

I downloaded the updater again, from 2 different sources, replacing the original one and doing 'chmod +x tdm_update.linux' and I still get the same error when trying to run the binary. I can launch TDM 1.00 with './tdmlauncher.linux' just fine, and 'tdm_update.linux' has the same permissions and executable set.

Has anyone successfully run the linux updater?

I'm downloading the new TDM via bittorrent, but it is excruciatingly slow with only 1 seed :(

Looking for a solution...

PranQster

Just run it and its working fine for me.

what does

ls -la tdm_update.linux

give?

You can try downloading the perl version (rename it to .pl, for some reason my server dislikes linking to a .pl file):

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/tdm_update.txt

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Once Mandriva releases 2010.1 Powerpack, I'll get that and install the 64bit version from DVD. Their "One" release (live CD w/ installer) is 32bit only. Their "Free" version has a 64bit .iso, but lacks the proprietary video drivers, flash, java, etc... I prefer their "One" or "Powerpack" releases for the reason that all of the proprietary software is installed automatically. That saves me the hassle of configuring the non-free .rpm repositories and installing all that stuff myself.

Though I still wonder why they don't offer a 64bit version of their "One" release... maybe I need to dig into their FTP and see if there is such an .iso

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Looks like there needs to be a tdm_update.linux.x86 made... and a rename of the current updater to tdm_update.linux.x86_64 or something like that.

Ah, yes, the last time we made a x32 binary and it was running well on 32 and 64bit. This time we barfed it. Should update it, but I need to compile it on my laptop.

(Actually, we could just tell people to run the .pl script, linux always should have Perl..)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, yes, the last time we made a x32 binary and it was running well on 32 and 64bit. This time we barfed it. Should update it, but I need to compile it on my laptop.

(Actually, we could just tell people to run the .pl script, linux always should have Perl..)

I tried to update today and i have the same failure. It's there a 32bit compiled updater for linux downloadable from somewhere?

Thanks in advance:D

Edited by Ladro

Try this one: http://www.bloodgate...dm_update.linux (3.6 MB, be sure to chmod it after downloading).

It works perfectly, thanks a lot Greebo!B)

The problem now is: the update replaced another time the updater itself with the broken one.

But no problem, next time i'll re-use the updater linked here by you! :D

So THANKS TELS! :D

Don't thank me, after all I was the one who accidentily put in the 64bit version in v1.01 ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The 32 bit version replaces itself with the 64 bit version and a mirrors list and nothing else on my system. TDM is still unplayable on my 32 bit distros :(

Sorry, the tdm_updater will always first "update" itself, but it doesn't know that the version on the server is newer. We need to fix that for the next version. (which will have a 32bit updater, anyway).

Sorry, the tdm_updater will always first "update" itself, but it doesn't know that the version on the server is newer. We need to fix that for the next version. (which will have a 32bit updater, anyway).

No problem, it's working fine with 64bit Sabayon anyways. Do you have a rough timeline on the next version, so that I know when to update my 32bit distros ?

Edited by peispud

No problem, it's working fine with 64bit Sabayon anyways. Do you have a rough timeline on the next version, so that I know when to update my 32bit distros ?

Next update is currently betatested, so should be out soon, but can't tell specifics.

Btw Download this:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/tdm_update.txt

Rename it to tdm_update.pl, place it in your TDM directory and run it via the shell like:

perl tdm_update.pl

That should work on 32bit and do the trick. You might need to do install libconfig-tiny-perl, tho, I am not sure about your distribution.

• 3 weeks later...

Next update is currently betatested, so should be out soon, but can't tell specifics.

Btw Download this:

http://bloodgate.com.../tdm_update.txt

Rename it to tdm_update.pl, place it in your TDM directory and run it via the shell like:

perl tdm_update.pl

That should work on 32bit and do the trick. You might need to do install libconfig-tiny-perl, tho, I am not sure about your distribution.

I have this error:

me@me_desktop:~/.doom3/darkmod$ perl tdm_update.pl

Can't locate Archive/Zip.pm in @INC (@INC contains: lib devel/lib /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at tdm_update.pl line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at tdm_update.pl line 11.

I'm on Ubuntu (10.4 32bit LTS), i presume my Perl path is different.

I tried also the old 32 bit compiled (cfr. http://www.bloodgate...dm_update.linux ), but this binary it's not working too.

This is the shell reply if i use it:

me@me_desktop:~/.doom3/darkmod$ ./tdm_update.linux
IO object version 1.25 does not match bootstrap parameter 1.23_01 at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/DynaLoader.pm line 219.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/IO/Handle.pm line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/IO/Handle.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/IO/Seekable.pm line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/IO/Seekable.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/IO/File.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/IO/File.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at -e line 352.

Any suggestion? :D

Edited by Ladro

I think you just need to install some missing perl libraries:

perl-config-tiny,

perl-archive-zip and

perl-libwww

I don't know what they are called on ubuntu but it should be something similar to the package names above.

I think you just need to install some missing perl libraries:

perl-config-tiny,

perl-archive-zip and

perl-libwww

I don't know what they are called on ubuntu but it should be something similar to the package names above.

Thank you.

I solved by installing this library that was not present on my machine:

libarchive-zip-perl

(on Ubuntu i found this name for archive manager in Perl library... tipically the prefix "perl" it's postponed, but with aptitude i easy found it :-) )

Now the script it's working well and i can update my TDM to 1.02 :-)

(and finally now i can play the GREAT mission by Goldchocobo and Mortem Desino "No honor among thief" B) )

Suggestion: maybe this problem with the updater (and the solution to use the right script) for Linux users, should be on sticky notes for some time (until next release)?

Really thanks to all involved for this update (and the updater :-) ) ;-)