The Dark Mod Forums

Problems updating Doom 3 and running the dark mod

Stalchild

Hey guys, I've been trying to solve this problem on my own forever now, and I realize that google isn't getting me anywhere.

Ok, so I installed doom 3, play it while TDM downloads, and then install the dark mod, and then I get a runtime error on startup for TDM. I google, and I realized I need to be patched, so I download that latest patch, then the updater tells me that it doesn't know which version of Doom 3 i have, but somehow I can still choose a filepath for the updater, so I choose it, update it, and then doom 3 starts up after the updater closes. That's when It crashes, and I get some console looking window with a blue background, this is what it says:

DOOM 1.3.1302 win-x86 May 12 2005 10:40:52

1800 MHz Intel CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & HTT

1920 MB System Memory

128 MB Video Memory

Winsock Initialized

Found interface: {1E31F43E-FC1A-4680-B461-C7D78ACE1BFE} NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet - 72.203.167.224/255.255.252.0

Sys_InitNetworking: adding loopback interface

doom using MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 for SIMD processing

enabled Flush-To-Zero mode

enabled Denormals-Are-Zero mode

------ Initializing File System ------

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game00.pk4 with checksum 0x29cdb978

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game01.pk4 with checksum 0x51c6981f

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game02.pk4 with checksum 0xf3ec6f7

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4 with checksum 0x5d4230ea

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak000.pk4 with checksum 0x28d208f1

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak001.pk4 with checksum 0x40244be0

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak002.pk4 with checksum 0xc51ecdcd

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak003.pk4 with checksum 0xcd79d028

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak004.pk4 with checksum 0x765e4f8b

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak005.pk4 with checksum 0x8ffc3621

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak006.pk4 with checksum 0x95b65ab

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak007.pk4 with checksum 0x666bdb3c

Loaded pk4 C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak008.pk4 with checksum 0x23ae5993

Current search path:

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3/base

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak008.pk4 (3 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak007.pk4 (38 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak006.pk4 (48 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak005.pk4 (63 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak004.pk4 (5137 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak003.pk4 (4676 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak002.pk4 (6120 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak001.pk4 (8972 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\pak000.pk4 (2698 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4 (2 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game02.pk4 (2 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game01.pk4 (2 files)

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game00.pk4 (2 files)

game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0

Addon pk4s:

file system initialized.

--------------------------------------

----- Initializing Decls -----

------------------------------

------- Initializing renderSystem --------

using ARB renderSystem

renderSystem initialized.

5206 strings read from strings/english.lang

Couldn't open journal files

execing editor.cfg

execing default.cfg

execing DoomConfig.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

5206 strings read from strings/english.lang

----- Initializing Sound System ------

sound system initialized.

----- R_InitOpenGL -----

Initializing OpenGL subsystem

...registered window class

...registered fake window class

...initializing QGL

...calling LoadLibrary( 'opengl32' ): succeeded

...calling CDS: ok

...created window @ 0,0 (800x600)

Initializing OpenGL driver

...getting DC: succeeded

...creating GL context: succeeded

...making context current: succeeded

------- Input Initialization -------

Initializing DirectInput...

mouse: DirectInput initialized.

keyboard: DirectInput initialized.

------------------------------------

sound: STEREO

...using GL_ARB_multitexture

...using GL_ARB_texture_env_combine

...using GL_ARB_texture_cube_map

...using GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3

...using GL_ARB_texture_env_add

...using GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two

...using GL_ARB_texture_compression

...using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc

...using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

maxTextureAnisotropy: 16.000000

...using GL_1.4_texture_lod_bias

X..GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette not found

...using GL_EXT_texture3D

...using GL_EXT_stencil_wrap

...using GL_NV_register_combiners

...using GL_EXT_stencil_two_side

X..GL_ATI_fragment_shader not found

X..GL_ATI_text_fragment_shader not found

...using GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

...using GL_ARB_vertex_program

...using GL_ARB_fragment_program

...using EXT_depth_bounds_test

---------- R_NV20_Init ----------

---------------------------------

----------- R200_Init -----------

Not available.

---------- R_ARB2_Init ----------

Available.

---------------------------------

----- R_ReloadARBPrograms -----

glprogs/test.vfp

glprogs/test.vfp

glprogs/interaction.vfp

glprogs/interaction.vfp

glprogs/bumpyEnvironment.vfp

glprogs/bumpyEnvironment.vfp

glprogs/ambientLight.vfp

glprogs/ambientLight.vfp

glprogs/shadow.vp

glprogs/R200_interaction.vp

glprogs/nv20_bumpAndLight.vp

glprogs/nv20_diffuseColor.vp

glprogs/nv20_specularColor.vp

glprogs/nv20_diffuseAndSpecularColor.vp

glprogs/environment.vfp

glprogs/environment.vfp

glprogs/arbVP_glasswarp.txt: File not found

glprogs/arbFP_glasswarp.txt: File not found

-------------------------------

using ARB_vertex_buffer_object memory

using ARB2 renderSystem

found DLL in pak file: C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4/gamex86.dll

copy gamex86.dll to C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\gamex86.dll

3 22 800 600

Regenerated world, staticAllocCount = 0.

Shutting down sound hardware

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success

...deleting GL context: success

...releasing DC: success

...destroying window

...shutting down QGL

...unloading OpenGL DLL

wrong game DLL API version

So I google some more, and one way or another I read I need a no cd-patch. so i download it, and install it, nothing changes..

So now I do a fresh install of everything, and I even change file paths, like that would matter. And I mess around a while and mess with different fixes, and nothing changes.

So I visit the forums, check out the FAQ, and I read where I need to have version 1.3.1.1304.

So I make a fresh install of Doom 3 again, and I check out the version number in-game (Doom 3 works until I patch it) and it is 1.3.1.1302.

So before I patch it, I try a fresh install of TDM AGAIN. and now it runs vanilla Doom 3. like the application was just doom 3 with a different icon and filename.

I patch the game. and now I get the same exact console thing again.. the Wrong game DLL API Version one.

So I guess my main question here is, what do I do to get this game to patch?

pre-patch : Doom 3 runs fine, TDM gets a runtime error

Post-patch : Doom 3 crashes and I get an error log or something, and TDM starts up Doom 3, which crashes as well.

It loads up fine, and right when the initial loading is done (right before the main menu) bam. crash.

I hate to have my first post be a problem, but I don't know where else to go. I appreciate the help guys.

"What business have you in Ikana Kingdom, land where only the dead roam? This is no place for one as full of life as you." Sharp

found DLL in pak file: C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4/gamex86.dll

copy gamex86.dll to C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\ [PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\base\gamex86.dll

wrong game DLL API version

This makes me believe that The Dark Mod is either not installed so you've got "..\Doom 3\darkmod\tdm_launcher.exe" or you've got another doom 3 mod meshed into your D3 base somehow.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

This makes me believe that The Dark Mod is either not installed so you've got "..\Doom 3\darkmod\tdm_launcher.exe" or you've got another doom 3 mod meshed into your D3 base somehow.

I have no other mods, Doom 3 is a completely fresh install, I have never even owned Doom 3 before today.

And the complete filepath is

C:\Users\Claude\Downloads\[PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)\Doom 3\The Dark Mod\tdmlauncher.exe

From what I gathered from the download page for TDM that's how it ought to go, I've also tried the default installation filepath for Doom 3 (I doubt that the file path really matters anyways) and just making a folder in my documents.

"What business have you in Ikana Kingdom, land where only the dead roam? This is no place for one as full of life as you." Sharp

It's right there in the first line of the console dump.

DOOM 1.3.1302

It should be 1.3.1304 :)

Id software released two 1.3 updates...they should really have named it something else as this causes problems all the time.

We should have the correct links on this page.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installation#Weblinks

It's right there in the first line of the console dump.

DOOM 1.3.1302

It should be 1.3.1304 :)

Id software released two 1.3 updates...they should really have named it something else as this causes problems all the time.

We should have the correct links on this page.

http://modetwo.net/d...lation#Weblinks

Well that's the problem.. I think you missed a part of my post

"So I make a fresh install of Doom 3 again, and I check out the version number in-game (Doom 3 works until I patch it) and it is 1.3.1.1302.

So before I patch it, I try a fresh install of TDM AGAIN. and now it runs vanilla Doom 3. like the application was just doom 3 with a different icon and filename.

I patch the game. and now I get the same exact console thing again.. the Wrong game DLL API Version one."

The issue is getting Doom 3 to patch to 1402. Once I patch it, it crashes. Which is weird. because post-patch, I crash and the log says that I am 1.3.1.1302.

If I am still 1.3.1.1302, what did the updater change to make me crash I wonder?

I read your post, but you asked the question....'where do I get this patch'...so I posted our wiki link which should have the correct patch.

Don't use any other patch after you install Doom 3, just download the correct patch from the links on our wiki and patch with that one.

When I said " I don't know where else to go" I wasn't referring to a download link or anything, just somewhere for help in general.

That's what I did. I uninstalled everything after the first failed attempt, and then reinstalled everything again, including TDM, and then I went straight to the wiki page, and downloaded the patch, and then that's when TDM started running Doom 3, which crashed shortly after startup.

Is it possible for me to unzip the contents of the patch and manually install them in the directories they belong in?

Very weird. I responded to your inquiry about unzipping but it didn't post.

Anyway, I don't think that would work very well.

The 1.3 patch is notoriously difficult to install sometimes. It has to do with the way id software made the installer, it puts the wrong installation path in automatically...so you have to be really careful when you use it.

I think it has to be typed in manually. So if your doom 3 game is installed in c:games/doom3, I think you have to type c:/games or something like that...because if you type c:/games/doom3, it will end up installing an extra folder like c:/games/doom3/doom3.

Don't ask me why they did it this way...they just did.

As for everyone being just as stumped as you, well...you'll need to give other team members more than two hours to respond. :( We're all in different time zones around the world, with families and jobs...we don't get paid to sit here all day. ;) Give them at least 12 to 15 hours to respond...not everyone is going to be able to see your post within two hours of posting. Patience, please. There is obviously something going wrong with the patching process.

I would also suggest 'not' installing Doom 3 into such a long and convoluted folder structure. It is recommended to install doom 3 to something very simple like c:\games\doom3 with absolutely no spaces.

Yeah it has been an hour...

And after all, you've "been trying to solve this problem on my own forever now"

I wonder though, how you've been trying to solve this forever and yet "I have never even owned Doom 3 before today."

Also?

I wonder if the "%20DOOM%203%20%28Extract%20and%20Play&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a"]...Downloads\[PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)..." part of your messages has a hint as to why things are going awry?

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Yeah it has been an hour...

And after all, you've "been trying to solve this problem on my own forever now"

I wonder though, how you've been trying to solve this forever and yet "I have never even owned Doom 3 before today."

Also?

I wonder if the "...Downloads\[PC Game] DOOM 3 (Extract and Play)..." part of your messages has a hint as to why things are going awry?

That part may be a definite. And 5 or 6 hours is forever, when it's the only thing you are doing.

I have a legit copy of Doom 3 now, and it seems the problem is fixed.

I'm not sure what was wrong before but the patch has installed correctly now, and everything is go, now TDM is installing. IF it doesn't work this time, I'll wait for thief 4 for a while..

Thanks guys, sorry for the impatience.

Nice, now TDM loads up fine, no errors at all, but instead of actually running TDM, it runs Doom 3, which doesn't really work, the taskbar is visible, and the screen blinks white on and off..

But Doom 3 works fine If I go ahead and run it through Doom3.exe

Any help?

Nice, now TDM loads up fine, no errors at all, but instead of actually running TDM, it runs Doom 3, which doesn't really work, the taskbar is visible, and the screen blinks white on and off..

But Doom 3 works fine If I go ahead and run it through Doom3.exe

Any help?

So if you run TDM Launcher from the dark mod folder, it runs doom 3?

The problem is the name of your dark mod folder. It must be named "darkmod". There are a few stray bits of tdm code that reference that name specifically.

Ok yep, that was it right there. I noticed it was making a separate folder called "darkmod" and I was wondering why it wasn't in TDM's directory..

The game is working, and I have played the training mission for about a minute, so it works.

I declare my issue resolved.

Thank you, denizens of TDM's forums..

:D

Nah, I don't really talk like that.

If you come back and get this message, you might try following the video tutorial I made:

part a - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD_s7ftsQdc

part b - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts-S8j5daAA

(watch in 720 HD!)

Hehe, the first four minutes are awesome!! :D Not that I would want to make fun of you, but you come along with a pretty funny attitude. :)

Anyway, maybe you should make a security copy of your Doom 3 disc. It seems to be in a bad shape.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, right! I had very much fun watching this Videos while waiting for NHAT-campaign release. This videos are very helpful, indeed, because there went everything wrong what could´ve been, almost. Beginning with Autoplay. ;) But this must be some slow machine, and this keybord, my goodness. :P

But I was very glad to see tutorials for DarkRadiant, I will surely follow them. Thanks a lot Komag! :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more