The Dark Mod Forums

Campaign Announcement

Goldchocobo

Hi everyone,

I thought I would give everyone a little update...

Plans to release the campaign by the end of this month are still en route. Me, Mortem Desino, and our voice talent are currently finishing up dialogue/cutscenes. The work on the maps themselves are pretty much finished :).

Here are a couple more shots for everyone to enjoy.

Sewers.jpg

Every good thief mission needs a sewer romp! Sewers with caves.

cave.jpg

This cave was unbelievably fun to create. It looks insanely beautiful in game... really surprised me how it turned out.

bums.jpg

Bums being bums.

citywatch.jpg

Those City Watch douche bags deserve a B&E!

clocktower.jpg

Ye olde massive clocktower.

We will need a couple beta testers later on, if anyone is interested...

Be sure to help the TDM community, and let everyone know of the upcoming campaign! We will be doing a trailer for youtube soon, and hope some awesome Thief/Darkmod fans will help spread the word!

Till next time!

GC

• Like 1

Oh, I have a feeling you won't need to worry about getting the word out with this campaign wub.gif. That second pic looks fantastic, can't wait to see it in-game. I tried a similar type of setting (sewer / cave combination) in DromEd and the results were... not as good rolleyes.gif.

Holy crap, GC, these are awesome! That cave one especially is :wub:. Are you secretly a whole team of mappers and not just one person...? :o

Lol, nah I just work really twitchy fast like. The cave wasn't hard TBH, 2.5 hours of work. It's just a matter of knowing how to bend patches around via vertex editing. It just really surprised me how beautiful it turned out - not by my skill, I mean, but rather chance methinks.

Oh, I have a feeling you won't need to worry about getting the word out with this campaign

This is the best chance TDM has had in a long time to gain a massive fanbase almost overnight, and although you may be right, I think maybe taking a more active role than just letting it develop organically might be in order.

The kids want playable content, and this is the good stuff and a campaigns worth of it. I think a (free) huge marketing campaign is in order (not just youtube trailer). Set a specific release date and tell us the name of the campaign, and I'll start posting flyers all over campus (I live in a big college town) and maybe spamming some SS's to the campus FirstClass email system under announcements and such. I encourage others to engage in similar activity whether physical or digital. At the very least, with all of todays social networking hocus pocus shenanigans (that i do not participate in), something great must be achievable. spam GCs SS's everywhere! Long live TDM!

This is the best chance TDM has had in a long time to gain a massive fanbase almost overnight, and although you may be right, I think maybe taking a more active role than just letting it develop organically might be in order.

The kids want playable content, and this is the good stuff and a campaigns worth of it. I think a (free) huge marketing campaign is in order (not just youtube trailer). Set a specific release date and tell us the name of the campaign, and I'll start posting flyers all over campus (I live in a big college town) and maybe spamming some SS's to the campus FirstClass email system under announcements and such. I encourage others to engage in similar activity whether physical or digital. At the very least, with all of todays social networking hocus pocus shenanigans (that i do not participate in), something great must be achievable. spam GCs SS's everywhere! Long live TDM!

The kid's do want playable content - and more then just a fm, something long a coherent, with a storyline.

I sent you a PM :)

It's also important on release to put a thread in ttlg Thief FMs now and *include* screenshots to attract interest. :)

[EDIT] I mean of course, a new thread when it's released not the one that is there now. :)

btw probably good idea to prefix your header there with TDM:

Nice bums. :wub:

I think you should totally do a Moddb preview thread with the videos and shots, that is extra exposure outside the current Thief community - if you can get something like The Way to Blackheart Manor to them (even if it is shorter), they will appreciate it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It's amazing to see what great skills y'all have together. I hope one day I'll be able to create something close to it. Another FM I'm really looking forward to play. When this campaign will be released it's going to be another huge step to let other people know about TDM. Great job so far, keep up the good work, but I don't need to tell you that of course :D

Hi Gold

If you need another BT I have done lots of testing for both T2/TDS and TDM. Bloody awesome cave btw, me is drooling...

:-)

ps. I know I have asked this before, but can you tell me the4 exact particle effect you used to create the mist in the cave and in the tower..?

Edited by Bikerdude

I guess you're right if the aim is to get the word out to people beyond these forums and TTLG. I'd suggest letting Rock Paper Shotgun know about this one, they've posted about TDM in the past and a lot of their visitors hold Thief in high regard. Hell, the same goes for Slashdot (I often find Thief / System Shock mentioned in games related Slashdot comments). I don't have an account there but if anyone else does I'm sure there would be interest in knowing about TDM given that it's also available on Linux.

A lot of vertex pushing... The hardest part I find is making the seams line up. Did you say you had a trick for that, GC?

BTW, I just now noticed from this that the TDM FM forum has quietly been integrated back into the main FM forum. :ph34r:

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Not entirely quietly, and not to everyone's delight, but it is there and thanks to the moderators for it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A lot of vertex pushing... The hardest part I find is making the seams line up. Did you say you had a trick for that, GC?

+1

I tried building a cave out of patches but somehow I still don't get it right. Aligning the vertices is easy using the grid, but the textures...

Looking forward to something to learn from...

:)

+1

I tried building a cave out of patches but somehow I still don't get it right. Aligning the vertices is easy using the grid, but the textures...

Looking forward to something to learn from...

:)

texture alignment with odd shaped patches can be tricky until you learn the dark arts of the texture tool. even then, it can still be a pain if you don't have any vertex alignment on your patches, and then it usually becomes messy time consuming guesswork.

Those shots are very impressive! I too can't wait to explore that cave!

My only tiny gripe is that one of my pet peeves is window objects entirely on the outside of walls, instead of realistically carved into the wall. For me, it's immersion breaking, because I KNOW that the window is just a fake game object slapped on the exterior of the wall. But I realize most people don't mind them at all, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

The pics look fantastic, the only critic I'd have is that they miss "dirt". They look too clean, too shiny, esp. the walls, floor and the cave. But I am sure you know about this :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax