The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Builder's Influence (2010/03/20)

Springheel

Ok... I have tried...

I just spent the last hour scouring the map for loot. I can only get 4065/4515.

I found 2 locations outside which had some loot... on a balcony and in a window sill.

I found a couple of rings, 1 in a large blue vase, 1 in the cabinet with the glass door in the archives.

I have picked up every frobable item in the place. Looked for buttons, switches, ceiling panels, books, etc.

All chests have been looted. Nothing to pickpocket... nobody carries anything.

What might I be missing? Please give me a hint. Even if there is a good secret... just point me in the right direction please.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Slight hint:

upstairs room, secret switch

Big hint:

upstairs room, secret switch in book case

Big Nudge:

upstairs room with open window, secret switch in book case

Big Kick:

upstairs room with open window, secret switch in book case slides painting on wall

Slight hint:

upstairs room, secret switch

Big hint:

upstairs room, secret switch in book case

Big Nudge:

upstairs room with open window, secret switch in book case

Big Kick:

upstairs room with open window, secret switch in book case slides painting on wall

Nice... Funny how I had looked at the spot where I needed to about 4 times, but never quite thoroughly enough.

Now I am only missing 100 loot.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Excellent mission , thanks very much Springheel and Railgun , enjoyed it a lot . My audio kept dipping in and out throughout , I probably need to update the drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, i played through and thoroughly enjoyed it :) except for the problem where loading causes crashes.

I reckon the roof you need to climb along to get the gold jar and gauntlet at the start is a little too unpredictably unforgiving

I think a pair of guards got stuck on a door at some point (the one behind the stairs coming up from the basement

It also would have been nice if you made it so that the doors that didn't open, didn't have a handle.

overall a good play. I reckon 7.5/10 personally (would have been 8.5 if the loading worked. :)

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

I can't open / close any doors after getting the Mayor's Office Key. :o

Console:

WARNING: Door hatch is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING: Door func_static_1000 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING: Door secret1 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING: Door MapDoor is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING: Door bureau_drawerC3 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING: Door atdm_mover_door_2 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING: Door atdm_mover_door_5 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING: Door FootlockerLid3 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING: idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model

Replayed the mission without any problems after restarting the game.

Edited by id3839315

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, a very nice mission, although I cant 'use' scrolls and books in inventory. Interface crashes after typing 'Enter' or rightclicking these items, so it's impossible to even opens doors and ready weapons or any other items. Any solution?

Also there are some areas where the character gets stuck. I think this can be a general problem of DM machine, 'cause the same issue happens in other missions too.

Edited by WReis

If 'right-click' means 'frob' then that is the wrong control. To use inventory items you need the 'use' control (see settings menu.

[edit] But I think you know that so more likely it is a TDM update problem (see Heart thread) If it is only partly updated then there may be a clash.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Completed this mission just now.

I have to say that this was one of the best missions I've encountered so far. Impeccable performance!

The only thing I didn't like was the sad feeling when everything was done and I had to leave the building and I realized that the enjoyment is about to end.

Many thanks!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

It was very well done, just finished in 47 min, 3550 loot. I don't know where that other 1,000 is stashed, but it's stashed well.

Great story and beautiful architecture.

------------

Found a few things if you ever update:

alot of the chest lockbars and both grandfather clock pendulums are off axis. Looks a bit strange but doesn't effect anything.

in the kitchen, bottom shelf, one of the bowls is floating up at the bottom of the shelf above it. Must've accidentaly got nudged.

----------

mod related:

great fps, locked at 60 or 30 all the time (vsynch). Never went below until a guard bumped me or saw me at the inside of front door. Not sure because the light does bleed in from outside, but I don't think I was lit up.

Anyway, I snuck to the corner and he was searching, but the locked front door was right there so he was fighting with it, trying to open and go through, but didn't have the key(or lockpicks I guess).

Right then my frames tanked, between 6-15. Super choppy, I went upstairs, closed door back to 60. open door, 15...

Until he was done playing with the door, then it went back and stayed at 30+.

So he was obviously over thinking about the locked door.

Maybe there can be a spawn arg on lock pick doors that will tell the ai not to open them if it's still locked.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 2 weeks later...

It's a while since I played but I believe it is

on a shelf or in a cupboard among or behind some other stuff in the same room as the readable. I think the other objects are books and it might be the big desk with openable cupboards I'm thinking of.

Tis was a great and really beautiful mission. If I could rate this I would give Appearance a 'near perfect'! All those details and things to frob and look at. I loved the story/readables too.

But in the book about the history of the Inquisition were at the end three or four blank pages. :(

I´m missing exactly 300 loot. I missed the balcony-loot. Everything else mentioned in here I´ve found. Is there something in the basement in between the barracks and where the winebottle-wall (what is the word for this again?) was? Because of the sitting guard there and the patrolling guard I didn´t searched there.

On first try yesterday I got two guards blocked by the open door on the dining hall, the door opposite the toilets.

As I reloaded the mission tonight no one was blocked. But later I got, I think, the same as Aida, a guard making love to a double-door, the one behind the stairs down to the basement. The left door on the mayors office missed the shining glass effect the right door had. The glass effects were very nice, though I would have liked to see myself in it as I stand right before it.

But that´s it, nothing else bothered me. No crashes too, and I saved often.

The gameplay was damn good. Not too hard, but everything else than easy. Never before I crouched so much. :) The loot-positioning was very nice and believable. Overall this mission is one of the best actually because there is so much in it. I even saw some pots I never saw before. Was very nice to have almost everything frobable. That leads me to a question:

Is the overall-performance related to the amount of frobalbe objects? Because I wondered why some objects weren´t frobable.

And who was the guard in the private records room? Why isn´t he replaced by the builders? Or is he the symbol of the resistance of the mayor and actually guarding against the bulders?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Or is he the symbol of the resistance of the mayor and actually guarding against the bulders?

Bingo. :)

Is the overall-performance related to the amount of frobalbe objects? Because I wondered why some objects weren´t frobable.

Moveable objects only have a performance hit when they are moving as the engine has to calculate collisions. So if you throw 50 things at once and they are all bouncing you'd see a hit. But throwing one or two things shouldn't matter much.

Can't say what reasons the authors had for what is/isn't moveable but mod-wise there are several reasons:

The major on is - Collision models: have to be VERY simple, so an arrow will stick into the air between a moveable chairs legs.. So if it doesn't have to move it's better to have a static object.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Moveable objects only have a performance hit when they are moving as the engine has to calculate collisions. So if you throw 50 things at once and they are all bouncing you'd see a hit. But throwing one or two things shouldn't matter much.

Can't say what reasons the authors had for what is/isn't moveable but mod-wise there are several reasons:

The major on is - Collision models: have to be VERY simple, so an arrow will stick into the air between a moveable chairs legs.. So if it doesn't have to move it's better to have a static object.

Yes, an static objects are surrounded by monsterclip, an area which the AI cannot enter. This makes them nice easy obstacles for the AI to avoid.

As a mapper, I'm slightly scared of putting a lot of moveables. If the moveables are on the ground, they could make the AI stuck! :o

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 3 weeks later...

As a mapper, I'm slightly scared of putting a lot of moveables. If the moveables are on the ground, they could make the AI stuck! :o

They just kick them out of the way, unless they're really big like crates. They usually know to navigate around those things they can't kick, but it might not kick in until they get pretty close to it.