The Dark Mod Forums

frob_master question

grayman

I have two items. When I frob A, I want B frobbed at the same time. (I.e. they both get placed in my inventory.)

I can successfully frob_peer them together so they highlight at the same time when either is w/in frob range.

But I can't get them to frob simultaneously by using frob_master. Frob A and B is still there. Frob B and A is still there.

The frob wiki suggests that when you frob one object in a peer chain, everything in the chain gets frobbed. ("... frobbing any link in the chain will call the frobaction on the whole chain")

But if A says:

frob_peer B

frob_master B

and B says:

frob_peer A

what really happens when you frob A?

When you frob B?

Thanks!

You can also 'bind' them together, if it's possible. Both things will go into inventory, and both will be dropped at the same time with the 'drop inventory' command.

I had already tried binding.

Bind A to B, frob B, and A disappears.

But it doesn't go into the inventory.

I think binding only has to do with the physical connection between things. I.e. bind a doorknocker to a door, open the door, and the knocker moves with it. Make the door invisible and the knocker also becomes invisible.

Here's my problem:

I've set an objective to retrieve the shortsword. However, when you frob the found sword, it's put into inventory so that you can use it as a weapon, but it's not put into the (different) inventory where "normal" items are put. And the "in player's inventory" Objective type appears to only pay attention to "normal" inventory items. Not weapons.

So I thought I'd create a custom item from the shortsword model, and tie it to the sword weapon somehow. Then I could pick up the item to satisfy the objective, and get the weapon simultaneously so it can be wielded.

But the frob_peer/master keywords don't look like they were designed to handle this, and I'm still searching for some way to make this happen.

Oh, yes. As you've obviously found out, weapons don't use the same inventory code that, lets say -keys- do.

Here's what I've done. You can check off the "find a shortsword" objective with an atdm:targetsetobjective_state entity.

Create an atdm:weapon_shortsword.

Create an invisible (nodraw) atdm:frobable_base brush around the sword.

Frob_peer the frobable brush to the shortsword AND the shortsword to the brush. Have the brush target an atdm:target_setobjective_state.

Yep. There's more than one way to check off an objective.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Oh, yes. As you've obviously found out, weapons don't use the same inventory code that, lets say -keys- do.

Here's what I've done. You can check off the "find a shortsword" objective with an atdm:targetsetobjective_state entity.

Yep. There's more than one way to check off an objective.

TADAAA!

Thanks, that solved the problem.