The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lord Dufford's (2010/03/31)

stumpy

14 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom.

• Poor/Tolerable
    • ok
    • good
    • excellent
    • near perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Poor/Tolerable
    • ok
    • good
    • excellent
    • near perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor/Tolerable
    • ok
    • good
    • excellent
    • near perfect

there's a lever on the wall above the lockbox round the corner that opens something if you were standing on something when you unlocked the lockbox, the levers on the wall behind the ladder, if that doesn't work, noclip through the floor. near the note on the wall.

Thanks for the response, stumpy, but

I'm not seeing a lever behind the ladder. I see a rectangular-shaped metal plate on the edge of the corner behind the ladder, but I've tried frobbing it and nothing happens. Is this the lever or does it cover the lever? You've confused me about standing on something when unlocking the lockbox. What do I have to stand on?

lionroom.jpg

top arrow shows location of lever,

bottom arrow shows what it should open,

if levers not there, then noclip through the red door, as recent patch may have caused bugs to appear.

just checked it with the 1.02 tdm update and there doesn't seam to be anything missing.

Edited by stumpy

Thanks so much, stumpy. The lever is not showing up in my game; all I see is the metal plate without a lever protruding out. But I just noticed that my Dark Mod version is still 1.00, even though I thought I updated. That must be why the lever is not appearing.

• 1 month later...

Where are the sewers? I found the sewer house and clicked both levers. Than I lockpicked the nearby door to get to the stables and was in...

Yeah, all the negatives were pointed out before. I don´t like missions, where I am almost alone. The ambient light was annoying, cause it was sometimes so dark and on other places there it seemed to be too bright in the shadows, but mostly it´s dark.

The readables so far are fun to read. Well, that one book in the guard quarters, next time you could split the text to more books around the rooms.

I was too stoopid to read the first clue, but I saw explanation here in the thread. But it´s morning here so I have to wait for the night again.

I really hope for an updated version, if this is really meant to be the start of a campaign. It seems to be the weakest mission I played so far, but the story motivates me to go on...

About the shaft with the chain: I read here that someone got in without getting down the chain. How´s that? I came from upstairs. I really would´ve liked to venture in the tunnels and to see some Haunts the scroll there talked about, but there are only skeleton feet´s to look at. biggrin.gif

And I really would like to know what that is there above the lamp:

post-3744-127986622323_thumb.jpg

It´s not wood around it so it´s not some kind of protection against a fire?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 3 weeks later...

How about having this mission added to the Mission Download site ?

I can't find it here : http://www.mindplace...od/missions.php

I am not requesting a download-link here!

Rather I am asking for a mirror, where this mission can survive the next decade,

since private websites tend to disappear rather quick.

Edited by gnartsch

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Decided to redo this on hardest difficulty and have a quick question. Got all the way through and found I was missing some loot and after endless searching used tdmshowloot. This showed it to be

in the wall between the great hall (near the stairs) and unused kitchen. After more endless searching I used noclip and found a small room there with coin and two chests. Now my question is was there a switch somewhere that would grant me access to this room? I couldn't even find a way out so again used noclip.

• 2 months later...

That is weird... on the websites FM download list, this fan mission isn't on it....

Tried it out, I thought that the town was amazing, looked very much like I think a town would like if you could go down a few blocks. But this is a little deceptive because you can't go into any of the buildings, except the ones that are necessary for the main objective, in other words the castle, sewers and the buildings that opens the sewer grates.

Even the sewers are quite small.

I would have liked more AI because it made the whole mod rather boring, and while the castle felt huge at first, I realized it was mainly because of most of the rooms being like twice as big as they normally are in Thief games. And some of the rooms are bare but there's a story explanation for it.

The concept of the Belchers was funny, and scary. Pagan stuff always is. Glad I didn't meet one and also feel a bit cheated I didn't get to see one either :(

The dragon thing was a little silly to be honest, I never knew they existed in Thief, and anyone in the mod or in real life who would say they do exist would have to be a bit thick headed so when it appeared in my objectives in the beginning I had a little laugh. The objectives seems to take the concept seriously and when I find out that the original Dufford really did meet one I was double surprised. OK so they rarely go outside a volcano but really? You'd think they would go out to eat which is what Dragon lore states, & considering how huge they are people would know about them a tad more then the FM suggests, so why wouldn't they have been mentioned in previous Thief games?

But in the spirit of Creative expression and all that I won't say its bad thing.

The clues had me confused, heh, a little weird that you can't open the panels unless you get the right clue first. And theres no way I would have found that hidden brick with the gears inside unless I read it here.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It loads fine for me. I'd say it runs better too.

I would make sure that you've deleted any old saves for this or any other mission.

I'd also download a fresh copy.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It wasn't exactly a dragon but an ornithopter that spat fire, but after 10,000 years stories changed it from being a machine with a strange age slowing power source to a magical beast. I have got half a unfinished map for a ornithopter hanger, and part of a story for inventers guild using ancient drawings to build a Dragoon riders ornithopter.

It should be compatible with version 1.07 played it the other day.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I installed Doom 3 with patch 1.3.1 from the scratch and run the tdmupdate, so I had a new and clean install from the darkmod. Downloaded again the dufford pk4 file. Then ran it in Darkmod. But still no luck. During the loading screen I still get this windows error

kgei8wmp.jpg