The Dark Mod Forums

Need an animator?

Amita12

I just tested the animation, but it didn't work. I was able to Dmap the map and load the map, but the beggar was using the normal walk instead of the walk i animated...

@Serpentine: It's no big deal :) . If you're interested in animating, i recommend getting the book The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you replace the bolded part below with the right path and filename of your exported animation?

anim walk models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/walk.md5anim

Did you replace the bolded part below with the right path and filename of your exported animation?

Yes. I think it's because I didn't export the animation with the beggar mesh. The only problem is that I can't get the beggar mesh in Maya 2009. It keeps crashing at the last step.

You don't need to export it with the beggar mesh. D3 doesn't care what mesh you use to make the animation as long as the number/name of joints match up.

I used the proguard rig to make the existing beggar animations; isn't that what you're using as well?

Yeah, I used the rig from the idle_beggar

Ok, so I'm confused about where a "beggar.ase" would come into things.

If you're pointing to your own file, there's no way I can see that it would still use the default walk without throwing an error of some kind.

Ok, so I'm confused about where a "beggar.ase" would come into things.

If you're pointing to your own file, there's no way I can see that it would still use the default walk without throwing an error of some kind.

The beggar.ase was before I used your method.

If you'd like to give it a shot, it's in the model_src repository in the beggar-2010 folder. It's titled walk_beggar.

repository

Is this an internal locale? I'm supposing so, but, if not, I'd like to try and mess with getting a look at the animation/model thing as well; for the coolness of seeing a bit of Mike's work AND as a little bit more of educating myself as far as how these things, as described and nicely detailed by Springheel here, work...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

If you'd like to give it a shot, it's in the model_src repository in the beggar-2010 folder. It's titled walk_beggar

Hmm, when I try to export it I get some kind of "internal error" message. What version of Maya are you using?

Hmm, when I try to export it I get some kind of "internal error" message. What version of Maya are you using?

You can open it up in an older version and save it out as such. There's a setting in Maya (that I can't remember where it is) that allows you to ignore software versions.

Or, if you like, I can give you a copy of the md5anim file instead.

Is this an internal locale? I'm supposing so, but, if not, I'd like to try and mess with getting a look at the animation/model thing as well; for the coolness of seeing a bit of Mike's work AND as a little bit more of educating myself as far as how these things, as described and nicely detailed by Springheel here, work...

I'm not sure of the rules of access, but I'll post a playblast soon for critique. If you're interested in animating, i can point you in a good direction :) . I've got loads of material and resources (i kinda have to because of school wink.gif ), if anyone is interested.

mike

Thanks. I'm really just a bit of a dabbling dilettante as far as something this involved goes... (actually, as far as a lot of things go)... just thought I might be able to download the "md5anim"and see if I could get it to show in TDM.

I'll happily look forward to the "playblast".

:)

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

That'd be awesome if there was an animation viewer program

I must be confused because I thought what you were up to was "rigging up" "attaching" or "someotherwise" getting the animation into a map so that it could be viewed? Isn't that what you were asking Springheel to help you with around about post #48 in this thread?

Anyway, I took a look. Doesn't seem very "animated" :laugh: I have to say (hoping you really don't mind the criticism). I might expect there to be all kinds of beggars, of course, but that one seems to be about 91 years of age and past his Beggin' Days (~Nazareth-ish ca. '76~). I was more expecting a stumbling, pronounced (if not aggressive) pay-attention-to-me kind of thing. But, these are matters of character and, like I said, the character is bound to be nothing in particular just because I was expecting something different. So for style A+ for not playing up to my expectations! :D

Technically (and this is where my opinion counts even less) it seems fine and dandy; natural and imperfect -- which is perfect.

That'd be awesome if there was an animation viewer program :)

EDIT: Here is a playblast of the animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1rwOmJJI2c

I'm open to critique, so don't hold back!

mike

Hm, it looks like he is searching something on the floor :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

You can open it up in an older version and save it out as such.

No luck. I get an error when trying to open or import it.

I'm open to critique, so don't hold back!

I like the shuffling. To me he looks a little bit too stiff in the arms though. I think the arms could swing a bit further away from the body.

Anyway, I took a look. Doesn't seem very "animated" :laugh: I have to say (hoping you really don't mind the criticism). I might expect there to be all kinds of beggars, of course, but that one seems to be about 91 years of age and past his Beggin' Days (~Nazareth-ish ca. '76~). I was more expecting a stumbling, pronounced (if not aggressive) pay-attention-to-me kind of thing. But, these are matters of character and, like I said, the character is bound to be nothing in particular just because I was expecting something different. So for style A+ for not playing up to my expectations! :D

Technically (and this is where my opinion counts even less) it seems fine and dandy; natural and imperfect -- which is perfect.

Haha, I see. I was just goin for what I was told. I had this walk idea from the description, which was that he was "shuffling". Maybe I'll make another version, though, idk.

Hm, it looks like he is searching something on the floor :)

Haha, I can see that. I was going for "down on his luck", but I guess it would help more if I was able to show the animation in-game with the beggar model.

No luck. I get an error when trying to open or import it.

That's lame :\ ... I'll put in an md5anim file.

I like the shuffling. To me he looks a little bit too stiff in the arms though. I think the arms could swing a bit further away from the body.

Alright, I'll update it with less stiff arms.

Thanks for the crits, it helps!

mike

As long as he is so sadly down-on-his-luck and unenergetic, I actually thought the less-arm-motion one made more sense... but que sera sera... it's great!

How about that "King And I" guy?

Made a second cut and improved some aspects of the animation with ideas and comments given (both here and on youtube).

Yes, I think that's an improvement. I'll put the md5anim in game if you drop it in models_src.

I like that almost-searching walk. It would be nice for a guard looking for his lost keys (maybe alternate with a "stop to look better"). Looking at the video I can almost hear him mumbling. Or with some slight difference it could be a monster that mimic a beggar.

Made a second cut and improved some aspects of the animation with ideas and comments given (both here and on youtube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FMdeaKLYB8

That is much better, probably because he stares ahead instead of down? As for the arms, I *think* if you keep the "stare ahead" and use less swings, it becomes the lurching begger, if you use "more swing and lok down" it would be great as a searching animation. But I am not an animator :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

About the arm swings, that's what I'm thinking about. I guess it's really just more of a balance to have inbetween stiff arms and lively arms. I'll see what I can do to make them less lively, but in the meantime I've put the md5anim file in the beggar-2010 folder.

Also, I tried testing the animation in-game again and it gave me an error saying that the beggar mesh has a different number of joints than the animation huh.gif .

mike

Also, I tried testing the animation in-game again and it gave me an error saying that the beggar mesh has a different number of joints than the animation

Hm, that shouldn't happen. I'll give it a try myself once we've fixed an internal error.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, there's a definite problem here. When I try to test the animation I get an error saying the # of joints don't match up. If you used the regular proguard rig, this shouldn't happen.

Your animation lists "numJoints 67". The regular proguard animations have 71.

Ok, there's a definite problem here. When I try to test the animation I get an error saying the # of joints don't match up. If you used the regular proguard rig, this shouldn't happen.

Your animation lists "numJoints 67". The regular proguard animations have 71.

That's weird, since I was using the rig from the idle beggar animation...