The Dark Mod Forums

My view of The Dark Mod

sneakytaffer

First of all, I would like to thank all of the Thief fans out there who spent years of making this absolute genius mod for Thief. I can remember playing Thief for the very first time in my life. It was first Thief: Deadly Shadows, then Thief: The Metal Age, and finally Thief: The Dark Project. I would play these three game over, and over again. As soon as I found out about DromEd, I was absolutely shocked. The never ending Fan Missions gave me full entertainment for my #1 favorite game, Thief: The Metal Age. I was around 14 years old, so I was pretty insane over Thief. Here I am at 20 years old and I am still being awed by creations of Thief fans. Playing Thief for 6 years taught me a lot about stealth, sneaking, and problem solving. Don't worry, I am not a Thief in real life! So don't worry about creating a monster.

Anyway, the main reason for this post was to give the creators of The Dark Mod my opinions and suggestions help make Thief even more enjoyable by players. I do realize that nothing is perfect and people have completely different opinions about things. Overall, I am completely flabbergasted on how great this mod is, but it does have its share of problems. Personally, The Dark Mod IS Thief 4! As a Thief player, this is my personal opinion about The Dark Mod.

Pros

The graphics are breathtaking! I have an eMachines computer, so The Dark Mod has to be put at the lowest setting. I don't really have the money for $1000 gaming computer, so I stuck with choppy gameplay. I can tell The Dark Mod has way better graphics than Thief: Deadly Shadows.

I absolutely love the new lockpick design! It's more challenging and realistic! Picking the lock while having to listen to the clicks makes lockpicking anticipating and entertaining. On the other Thief games, just holding the mouse button and waiting got boring after awhile. Now, you actually have to concentrate to open things. This new design makes me feel like I am actually in the game.

Guard reaction is much more lifelike than the previous Thief games. They basically have a 180 degree view. Sneaking to the side of the guards is now impossible. The guards are more intelligent and quick to respond to things.

Sneaking is now more controllable in The Dark Mod. Playing other Thief games forced me to slightly tap the "walk" button while walking over metal or tile floors. This gets very tedious, but The Dark Mod lets you crouch and walk slowly across loud surfaces without detection. A lot of annoyances on the original Thief games are now gone.

Climbing obstacles are SO much easier in The Dark Mod. I can remember so many times climbing a ladder, jumping few inches, and falling to my death! Climbing through small windows and holes required a crate to walk on. In The Dark Mod, you can basically climb anything with ease.

Cons

Why does the bow Garrett has is not equipped with a sight on the side? In Thief, I could memorize how far an arrow could go. I was able to hit torches with water arrows at a very far distance. The Dark Mod gives Garrett just a plain bow with no sight. This gives me no accuracy on targets at a distance. It seems impossible to hit the last target on the training mission! We need a sight just like on Thief: The Metal Age.

I am impressed with the random music, but there have been times to where the background music was so loud that I could not hear my footsteps or other guards coming toward me. I am aware that there are sound settings, but when I turn the music down, it also turns down the main sounds in the game. Maybe making a music bar by itself will help with this problem?

The speed requirement is a little to high to run The Dark Mod. I have 2 gigs of RAM speed, and the mod is very choppy. Even with all of the tweaks and low settings, the game lags the more objects or people in the room. Is it possible to remake The Dark Mod without requiring a lot of CPU usage?

I know that all games have bugs, but is there a way to where we can get rid of the "blackjack in the face" bug? Just a few blows to the front of a guard and he is down and out. Maybe the bugs are the result of the lagging I am experiencing?

The ability to pick up things and have it floating in front of you is fun at times, but it gets really annoying. In really tight spaces, I have to look completely up to turn around without hitting the object on the wall. I am not saying that I want this new ability to be gone, but perhaps you could have a setting that lets you hold things the old fashioned way?

I really do miss picking up a body and carrying it over the shoulder. Limbs of the KO'd people get stuck in tight spaces and they have to be dragged across the floor. Garrett constantly looses his grip and I end up spending nearly 10 minutes just to hide a body. I think carrying the body over the shoulder would make things much easier.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Cons

Why does the bow Garrett has is not equipped with a sight on the side? In Thief, I could memorize how far an arrow could go. I was able to hit torches with water arrows at a very far distance. The Dark Mod gives Garrett just a plain bow with no sight. This gives me no accuracy on targets at a distance. It seems impossible to hit the last target on the training mission! We need a sight just like on Thief: The Metal Age.

The tip of the arrow 'is' your bow sight. I think things might be a bit more forgiving in 1.1 as I have been far more successful lately with my accuracy. I have been able to nail a head shot from quite some distance. Give it a bit more time, you'll likely grow accustomed to it. It's possible that a future update could see the addition of a bow sight 'option' in the menu, but it would be very low priority...and there are games out there that get by very well without a bow sight.

I am impressed with the random music, but there have been times to where the background music was so loud that I could not hear my footsteps or other guards coming toward me. I am aware that there are sound settings, but when I turn the music down, it also turns down the main sounds in the game. Maybe making a music bar by itself will help with this problem?

I think this is an issue with how some of the music is setup in some maps. It will probably require some looking into and testing.

The speed requirement is a little to high to run The Dark Mod. I have 2 gigs of RAM speed, and the mod is very choppy. Even with all of the tweaks and low settings, the game lags the more objects or people in the room. Is it possible to remake The Dark Mod without requiring a lot of CPU usage?

I know that all games have bugs, but is there a way to where we can get rid of the "blackjack in the face" bug? Just a few blows to the front of a guard and he is down and out. Maybe the bugs are the result of the lagging I am experiencing?

Can't really call this a bug. I would imagine it to be pretty realistic. If you were whacked in the forehead a few times with a leather pouch full of lead pellets, you might go down pretty fast too. :) For guards with certain types of helmets, some tweaking may be possible to prevent them from going down as quickly...but overall, it makes sense.

The ability to pick up things and have it floating in front of you is fun at times, but it gets really annoying. In really tight spaces, I have to look completely up to turn around without hitting the object on the wall. I am not saying that I want this new ability to be gone, but perhaps you could have a setting that lets you hold things the old fashioned way?

That would require coding a whole new system. We're only at 1.1 yet...there may still be some tweaking achieved to make this better. All depends on time...which our limited number of active coders don't have a whole lot of.

Is it possible to remake The Dark Mod without requiring a lot of CPU usage?

TDM is likely as optimized as it can get right now. Many of us on the mod have or had lower end systems during development. When the Doom 3 source code is released, there may be a few more things that can be done but it likely won't make a huge impact.

The best you can do right now is to use 'fast ambient' and 'standard' interaction shader in the video settings.

I really do miss picking up a body and carrying it over the shoulder. Limbs of the KO'd people get stuck in tight spaces and they have to be dragged across the floor. Garrett constantly looses his grip and I end up spending nearly 10 minutes just to hide a body. I think carrying the body over the shoulder would make things much easier.

lol We hear this so often, I don't know what we can do to get the information out to people. You can shoulder bodies in TDM...once you have frobbd the bodied, as in taken ahold of it, press the 'use' key. The body will them be shouldered. Pressed the use key again to drop the body.

The Wiki has an entire section dedicated to the basics of TDM gameplay. Shouldering is amongst them. :)

We've been pretty vocal about asking people to read it. haha

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=The_Dark_Mod_Gameplay#Junk_Objects:_Bodies

The music is up to the mapper. With newer maps (after saintlucia) a method has been implemented to have portal-based music which has a volume that's controllable by the audio menu in-game.

As for the system requirements:

You can't have your pro of looks amazing even on low combined with the con of requires better computer. The two contradict one another XD

This gives me no accuracy on targets at a distance. It seems impossible to hit the last target on the training mission! We need a sight just like on Thief: The Metal Age.

It is impossible to hit the last target as it's too far away; a bow site wouldn't change that.

Yes, that is a bug, but we haven't been able to track down what causes it yet. It doesn't happen every time, and only with AI that don't have helmets.

Agreed. I don't know what an Emachine is but certainly a reasonable game machine is needed to play quality graphics and interaction. Coders and mappers spend a long time squeezing the best performance we can in Dark Mod.

Some things need practice. The farthest archery target in the trainer really would be extremely difficult in real life with a medieval bow not a modern competitive bow. In-game you might find it takes weeks to improve your archery skills and most targets are much closer. Likewise, we have been using the 'carry' mode for a couple of years or so and it is now really stable and solid. Remember, you can push and pull carried items so pulling it towards you to hug it close makes it easier to turn. The symbolic carrrying of Thief is meaningless to us now and the flexibility and exquisite control of manoevring objects in the 'grabber' in TDM adds hugely to the game experience.

Give the above time and you will be amazed at what you can do. :)

Thanks New Horizon for your help.

You are right when you say that a few whacks to the head can knockout somebody. I was just keeping the "Thief" world in mind. In the old Thief games, an alerted guard can be whacked to death. But I see what you are getting at.

I guess I will have to buy 2 (2 gig RAM cards) for my computer. It will cost me about $100, but my computer will be WAY faster with a 4 gig RAM speed. I have a eMachines Windows 7 with 2 gig RAM speed. Kind of sad how that is not enough. eMachines is a horrible model for gaming computers. What ticks me off about this computer is that it was made with an integrated video card. The desktop is so small that I cannot add anything into it. Can you believe that they integrated a NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE! I guess my computer was not meant for gaming. It makes a really good business computer though.

This is my brand new computer after I accidentally destroyed my old one! :laugh:

http://www.emachines...rod=EL1333G-01w

Edited by sneakytaffer

Agreed. I don't know what an Emachine is but certainly a reasonable game machine is needed to play quality graphics and interaction. Coders and mappers spend a long time squeezing the best performance we can in Dark Mod.

Some things need practice. The farthest archery target in the trainer really would be extremely difficult in real life with a medieval bow not a modern competitive bow. In-game you might find it takes weeks to improve your archery skills and most targets are much closer. Likewise, we have been using the 'carry' mode for a couple of years or so and it is now really stable and solid. Remember, you can push and pull carried items so pulling it towards you to hug it close makes it easier to turn. The symbolic carrrying of Thief is meaningless to us now and the flexibility and exquisite control of manoevring objects in the 'grabber' in TDM adds hugely to the game experience.

Give the above time and you will be amazed at what you can do. :)

Oh I definitely am! Overall, I am having a blast with The Dark Mod. I just need to update my RAM speed.

Before you go spending money: It may be more cost-effective to upgrade some other part of your computer, such as the video card or CPU. 2 GB of RAM should be plenty; it's what I have, and I have no problems running the mod on reasonably high-quality settings.

By the way, it's not "RAM speed". RAM does have speed, but it's not measured in GB. :) By adding more RAM, you're just increasing the quantity, not the speed. It will make your computer run faster, under certain conditions, but it would be a mistake to assume that adding more RAM is a panacea to cure all slowness issues.

If you post your computer's complete specifications, people here will be able to advise what the best upgrade for your system is.

EDIT: Oh, I see you posted the link above. Hmm. Well, apparently e-machines are difficult to upgrade, but possible. Do your research before buying anything. If in doubt, get someone qualified to advise and install your new hardware (they will charge you extra though).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

^^^ beat me to it ^^^

Not to nitpick but when you say 2 GB, it's in reference to a quantity rather than a speed. Volume is measured in bytes, speed in hertz.

Also I'm not sure more RAM is going to help you. I've got 2 GB of RAM myself and I don't experience choppy performance. Your bottleneck is some other component.

It might be the CPU but since you mention performance getting worse as more props are on screen it sounds like you'd see the greatest gains by upgrading the video card. Is anyone else running the game on a 6000 series card?

Edited by rich_is_bored

Is it possible to remake The Dark Mod without requiring a lot of CPU usage?

You can edit DoomConfig.cfg (from darkmod folder) in text editor to decrease size of textures in game. Change proper lines to:

seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"

seta image_downSizeLimit "512"
seta image_downSize "1"

This will set maximum size of textures to 512x512px. Most of textures files are 1024x1024 px. This will of course make them less detailed.

It's only a model...

The bottleneck in this case is definitely the crappy video card, not the RAM - I doubt more RAM would make any noticeable difference at all.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Yes, that is a bug, but we haven't been able to track down what causes it yet. It doesn't happen every time, and only with AI that don't have helmets.

Oh, so that is a bug? I thought t was normal. How many hits are we talking here? I found it usually takes 3 or 4, which seems about right to me.

I guess I will have to buy 2 (2 gig RAM cards) for my computer. It will cost me about $100, but my computer will be WAY faster with a 4 gig RAM speed. I have a eMachines Windows 7 with 2 gig RAM speed. Kind of sad how that is not enough. eMachines is a horrible model for gaming computers. What ticks me off about this computer is that it was made with an integrated video card. The desktop is so small that I cannot add anything into it. Can you believe that they integrated a NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE! I guess my computer was not meant for gaming. It makes a really good business computer though.]

http://www.emachines...rod=EL1333G-01w

Looking at your system specifications, they're really not that bad at all. I don't think you need to upgrade your ram, that's a fair amount...although if you do install two 2Gig sticks of ram, it certainly can't hurt.

I would look into updating the driver for your video chipset though. Sometimes these vendors don't include the best drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_197.13_whql.html

Does this computer of yours have any additional slots? Does it come with a PCIE slot for installing your own video card afterward?

Oh, so that is a bug? I thought t was normal. How many hits are we talking here? I found it usually takes 3 or 4, which seems about right to me.

Armed AI without helmets should only be able to be KO'd from behind when alert. Being able to do it from the front is a bug. It's not a horribly serious bug, as it isn't reliable and you can still die trying to do it, but it really shouldn't be happening at all.

Armed AI without helmets should only be able to be KO'd from behind when alert. Being able to do it from the front is a bug. It's not a horribly serious bug, as it isn't reliable and you can still die trying to do it, but it really shouldn't be happening at all.

Gotcha. Now that you mention it, I think I remember glancing over that somewhere awhile ago. I'm hoping my memory returns, there are quite a few hazy months from when I didn't realize my blood pressure was up. Scary stuff. :(

Before you go spending money: It may be more cost-effective to upgrade some other part of your computer, such as the video card or CPU. 2 GB of RAM should be plenty; it's what I have, and I have no problems running the mod on reasonably high-quality settings.

By the way, it's not "RAM speed". RAM does have speed, but it's not measured in GB. :) By adding more RAM, you're just increasing the quantity, not the speed. It will make your computer run faster, under certain conditions, but it would be a mistake to assume that adding more RAM is a panacea to cure all slowness issues.

If you post your computer's complete specifications, people here will be able to advise what the best upgrade for your system is.

EDIT: Oh, I see you posted the link above. Hmm. Well, apparently e-machines are difficult to upgrade, but possible. Do your research before buying anything. If in doubt, get someone qualified to advise and install your new hardware (they will charge you extra though).

Believe me, upgrading the video card is what I originally planned to do, but the desktop case is so small that I cannot add anything to it. It does have a PCI Express slot, but the low profile cards are too big. Also, the power supply on my computer was designed to handle one card. If I were to add another card, I will be using WAY more power than the power supply can handle. So, if I really want to up-grade the card:

I need a new power supply that is small enough to fit.

I need a bigger desktop case so I can add things to the computer.

The video card I have now is integrated to the motherboard so I cannot take it out.

It's way too much trouble to upgrade this computer. I don't really have the money, knowledge, and necessary equipment to make it better. I notice that it only has two RAM slots. That is about the only thing I can upgrade. I did think about taking the motherboard out and placing it in my old desktop case. It is a big black tower case, plenty of room to! The problem is that the motherboard might not be the right size to put into my old tower case. It's very risky too. Not only will my warranty be invalidated, but I run the risk of ruing something important.

If only I knew a lot about computers! In fact, I want to be a computer assembly technician someday. It sounds like a fun career to me, and I will learn how NOT to destroy my computer! Does anybody know about this position?

Edited by sneakytaffer

If only I knew a lot about computers! In fact, I want to be a computer assembly technician someday. It sounds like a fun career to me, and I will learn how NOT to destroy my computer! Does anybody know about this position?

The best way to learn is by doing! :)

Start doing some research online about computer maintenance, and use your old desktop parts for practice in taking the pieces apart. It's not difficult once you school yourself up on it.

It's not that fun, unless things have changed drastically in the 8-9 years since I built computers rolleyes.gif. It's also not terribly difficult to learn, but if you're considering upgrading soon I would suggest finding someone you know, or a local computer shop to help you. By the sounds of it, the mainboard will support a new graphics card, but the only thing stopping you from upgrading is that there's not enough space in the computer case, is this correct? Cases are pretty cheap, and it should be really easy to transfer all the components from your current case into a larger case. As has been said though, do some research first and again, try find someone to help you if you've never done anything like this before.

If I were to add another card, I will be using WAY more power than the power supply can handle.

Are you sure about this? You should find that if you have a graphics card, then the onboard graphics won't be used anyway, so all you have to worry about is whether the power supply has the power for the new graphics card.

Edited by Midnight

It's not that fun, unless things have changed drastically in the 8-9 years since I built computers rolleyes.gif. It's also not terribly difficult to learn, but if you're considering upgrading soon I would suggest finding someone you know, or a local computer shop to help you. By the sounds of it, the mainboard will support a new graphics card, but the only thing stopping you from upgrading is that there's not enough space in the computer case, is this correct? Cases are pretty cheap, and it should be really easy to transfer all the components from your current case into a larger case. As has been said though, do some research first and again, try find someone to help you if you've never done anything like this before.

[/size][/font][/color]

Are you sure about this? You should find that if you have a graphics card, then the onboard graphics won't be used anyway, so all you have to worry about is whether the power supply has the power for the new graphics card.

Well I am not saying that it is a blast playing with computers, but it's very interesting to me. At least it's not a boring job for me.

Yes, the power supply needs to be upgraded. I checked review comments about my computer and someone said that putting a new video card might overload the original power supply.

I did think about getting a bigger computer case. I still have my old case, and it's still in good condition. There is plenty of room in there, but will the motherboard fit in place? How do I make sure the computer case can hold the motherboard?

Edited by sneakytaffer

From what I gather searching on google the motherboard's form factor is micro ATX. Micro ATX is backwards compatible so it will fit in either a micro ATX or a regular ATX case. But keep in mind I'm assuming your older case used to house an ATX motherboard on the basis that it's larger.

My old case is an Antec ATX Midtower Case. Will it work?

Edited by sneakytaffer

My old case is an Antec ATX Midtower Case. Will it work?

If it's ATX, then it should...but please do some research before trying anything like this. Google is your friend, and if you have any friends who have ever built their own computers, or are competent in such things, get their help. Buy yourself an anti-static wrist strap so you don't accidentally fry anything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

Something like this is relatively easy if you do some homework and don't rush into it blind.

If it's ATX, then it should...but please do some research before trying anything like this. Google is your friend, and if you have any friends who have ever built their own computers, or are competent in such things, get their help. Buy yourself an anti-static wrist strap so you don't accidentally fry anything. http://en.wikipedia....tic_wrist_strap

Something like this is relatively easy if you do some homework and don't rush into it blind.

Too late. I already tried moving the motherboard. Don't worry, I did not screw up anything. Basically what I did was unplug everything, put the new motherboard in the old case, realize that the other hardware would not fit, took the motherboard out and into the original case, plugged everything back in, and that was it. I realized that it was out of my league and I don't know anybody who is really good with computers. Surprisingly, the motherboard fit perfectly. The power supply and plug in devices did not fit at all. It's kind of disappointing because I got my hopes up when the motherboard fit in the old case. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Having the inside of the computer that looks like this is not very hard to remember where everything went. I have opened up computers before, but this was my first time taking a motherboard out.

http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socketam2/boxer_WMCP61M.shtml

Thanks for your help though. I think I will just save up some money and buy a custom made gaming computer. I will still keep all of the hardware I can transfer to my future computer. At least I will save some money that way. Does anybody know any good websites that lets you customize your computer at a affordable price?

Edited by sneakytaffer

You can probably save a lot of money by building it yourself, if you remember a few things. Now if you're determined that you can't do it without breaking something, that's fine. If you're willing to give it a try, here's a few tips I've picked up in the few pc's I've built for myself.

If you have an ATX case, consider getting an ATX motherboard. They aren't very much money for a basic one, and they have more slots (more RAM slots, more PCI slots, and if you feel like splashing out, multiple PCI-E slots, so you can have Crossfire/SLi (2 video cards by the same manufacturer (ATi or Nvidia)) joined together to increase performance). You don't need an ATX motherboard though, as you already said, your mATX motherboard fit fine.

If you're looking to get a new power supply (henceforth abbreviated to PSU), on the recommendation that your current one won't be able to handle the new load (from what I've read your old ATX case doesn't have one? Is this the case?), then you can put the new one in your ATX case (this gives you case, PSU, motherboard).

Do you know what your cpu is? This is important. You will want to find a motherboard that supports your current CPU. Do you know what manufacturer (AMD/Intel), and what socket it is? This is quite specific information. Or you can choose a motherboard based around a more powerful CPU if you choose to upgrade.

Same thing with RAM. Unless you're going to buy new RAM, what speed/size your RAM is will also be a consideration when buying a motherboard (if you choose to buy a new one, if not disregard this and the CPU section).

You said your onboard video card is an Nvidia 6150? You can pick up a cheap graphics card that is much better than that these days, though something to be aware of is that some of the more powerful ones require a little 4/6? pin cable directly from the PSU to function. This should be quite apparent in the documentation for the graphics card.

Your existing hard drive, cd/dvd/blu ray player/burner will MOST likely work with the motherboard if you upgraded it, unless they're IDE (wide gray cable) instead of SATA (thin red cable), AND you picked a NO-LEGACY motherboard (no legacy means it is missing some connectors from old hardware standards, especially things like LPT (old printer/joystick) PS2 (old keyboards/mice, the connector looks like a circle of pins with a solid black plastic lug in it)

NOTE - this is an important lesson I learned when building my last computer. If you buy a new motherboard, and it comes with some odd shaped screws AND normal screws (the odd shaped ones will look like you can put another screw inside them) you need to put those in the case FIRST, then put the motherboard on top of those, and with the normal screws, screw the motherboard into the odd screws. This should prevent the PCB (printed circuit board, the green 'plate/sheet' thing the motherboard is) from short circuiting on the metal back of the case.

If you do a radical hardware shift, and use the same hard drive, its *possible* you will need to reinstall your operating system (Windows does this if you do too many hardware swaps in one go (things like graphics card/optical drive/pci slots etc). Not sure how Linux treats this, I didn't have problems transplanting a Linux hard drive from 1 pc to another, but they were similar, not sure about this with Linux.

Operating system installs aren't very complicated, usually it's just set your BIOS to boot optical drive first, have the Operating system install cd/dvd media in the drive, and save & exit on the BIOS, which will then prompt you to boot from cd/dvd (some Operating system discs will just go straight to the installer, so don't be alarmed if this option doesn't come up, but the installer starts anyway), the Operating system installer will start, prompt you to select a drive to install to (typically this is C drive, or C:\, yours may be D:\ or E:\), then you just tick some options and away you go. This step here assumes you have an Operating system disc, otherwise you may have a disc called Restore Disc/Restore Media.

Just realised I'm rambling very badly, hopefully this helps you make a more informed decision on how to spend your money, should you choose to spend it.

One last thing to remember, though you probably know this already. It is usually very obvious where a part goes, the cables/gold band connectors will usually only fit in one way.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080