The Dark Mod Forums

My view of The Dark Mod

sneakytaffer

the EAX reverb on the info_location objects in my map were set to default, because EAX on my sound card causes the game to pause for 4 seconds everytime you go into a new sound area, so I didn't bother to set them.

the pauses are causes by the sounds reloading at every sound area change, even though I had it set up to load all sounds at start.

Edited by stumpy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´m actually playing the Christmas Contest Missions and as I read the threats no one seems to have issues with too loud music but me! Only demagogue confirmed on his mission.

But I haven´t had the footsteps problem. Likely because I´m now always ghosting and is there a guard that could be in the way I take him out. (and because I´m so good it never ends in them searching for me, so no sound-bugs can be triggered like the ones I mentioned in the posts before)

What about my method in the Crown of Penitence? Did someone tried it? It´s really only about 5 minutes!

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

the EAX reverb on the info_location objects in my map were set to default, because EAX on my sound card causes the game to pause for 4 seconds everytime you go into a new sound area, so I didn't bother to set them.

the pauses are causes by the sounds reloading at every sound area change, even though I had it set up to load all sounds at start.

I never got any pauses between rooms, that actually sounds promising. I should clarify that i did get the reverb effects to work in a one room level (and the footsteps and guard chat sounded amazing), but i couldn't get it to work in anything else and got seriously burned out in the process of trying to make it work. But because it worked in one room, it seems the pipeline to the EAX card is not broken and therefore might be caused by changes in the way DR compiles maps?

LEGION: Have you tried upgrading your sound card drivers?

I've never been terribly impressed with Realtek (back when I did tech support, we had some work PCs with embedded Realtek HD chips, and they were kinda dodgy). You might have better luck with a better soundcard.

After much sound testing in 1.0, I came to believe that TDM's sound propagation code somehow hinders the surround sound effect, since in Doom, i can pinpoint a needle dropping, where as in TDM, a sound is often heard the same way while rotating around a large number of degree. In addition, it often snaps to a whole new position which to my ears seems like going from stereo to mono.

TDM's sound code is identical to D3's, since it's in the closed-source bit. Soundprop only works for AI, and does not affect what you hear.

It might be a problem with how sounds are set up in TDM maps.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Oops, sorry, I misread.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

another question, just watsched the "Custom Conversation Test" movie. does a Custom Conversation exist, is it implemented? I never heared such conversations..

Looks like some custom conversations or something like it will be included in the No Honor Among Thieves campaign this Thursday:

We are currently bug testing, cleaning up, making cutscenes, doing voiceovers, etc...

Here's the vid, Legion: