The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

Really nice map so far, only played for an hour or so.

My first glance on the spiders out in the garden from an open window was terrifying to me:D

The working bath was a surprise, just as the real flowing water in the cannals.

The parts i disliked so far are few, guess these are because of the great size of the map resulted in some things arent that detailed.. to name them specifically:

-the terribly huuuge stained window outside..that thing requires some heavy fantasy to exist in one piece:)

-the big block texture on the servants level(if i remember correctly). It outgiants everything, its contasty and seems well too accurate and legoish.

Something came to my attention that is not related to this particular FM. Its that guard footstep sounds needs some variaty, when there isnt just one guard around its not rare that they sound like they are fighting getting stuck or something because of repeating soundeffects following each.

Edited by _Atti_

Just finished it on the hardest difficulty, ghosted all the way. Took just over 3 hours (of game time, it took wayyyyy longer than that in reality!), and it was worth it. Only gripe was going down to 10fps during the fog part outside, but thats without taking any of the recommended fps boosting steps, and was still playable.

Very enjoyable mission, great work Fidcal! This certainly ups the bar on how good I was gonna try make the mission I'm playing with...

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Fidcal you are really a MASTER!

My congratulation for this work, i really like this mission (not finished after 5 hours of play!).

What i really liked:

The method to enter with the rope, and atmosphere with this fog... AWESOME!

The story too, it's very very good to me.

BRAVO!:D

It's a shame about the crashes - but at least everyone seems to be enjoying the FM so far. This is very encouraging because I did get to the stage where I thought much of it was not very good and a bit of support does help a lot!

Pranqster: Googled for 'signal caught: Segmentation fault' and wonder is that exclusive to Linux? I'll add it to tracker anyway. Perhaps you can keep your gamesave in case it is needed.

Ok, I'll make a backup of it.

I must say I had no performance issues. I did not have FPS displayed, but it played smooth for hours until my crash problem. Even outside in the fog was smooth.

uname -a

Linux mjollnir 2.6.33.1-server-2mnb #1 SMP Mon Mar 29 18:59:50 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Mandriva 2010.1 beta1 running on:

AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9650

MSI K9N2 Diamond mobo

4Gig 800MHz

MSI NX8800GTS Geforce

1440x900 resolution in game, fullscreen

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I have the segfault too:(

After 5 hours of play, i'm on the upper floor

, after the lady chamber

109371 msec to load heart
idRenderWorld::GenerateAllInteractions, msec = 41, staticAllocCount = 0.
interactionTable size: 5092200 bytes
45005 interaction take 5040560 bytes
------------- Warnings ---------------
during heart...
WARNING: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model models/darkmod/architecture/chimneys/square_stone.lwo has too many verts for a poly! Make sure you triplet it down
WARNING: Couldn't load gui: 'guis/map_of.gui'
WARNING: Couldn't load image: -
WARNING: Couldn't load image: lights/jdude_church512x256
WARNING: Couldn't load image: models/md5/chars/thief/thief1_local
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/common/shadow_bak
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/fabric/cloth_coarse_cream_dirty
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/metal/flat/nontiling/steel_scratched01_dark
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/flat/tiling_1d/concrete_light_cracked
WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'tdm_impact_small_soft_object.wav' using default
WARNING: file <implicit file>, line 2: unknown token '-'
WARNING: Non-portable: path contains uppercase characters: base/dds/models/mapobjects/hell/Site3
WARNING: Non-portable: path contains uppercase characters: darkmod/dds/models/mapobjects/hell/Site3
WARNING: Non-portable: path contains uppercase characters: heart/dds/models/mapobjects/hell/Site3
14 warnings
WARNING: idAFBody::SetDensity: center of mass (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) not at origin (-0.000001, 0.018725, -0.000060) for body 'CMeleeWeapon_atdm:moveable_dagger_33667557072'
WARNING: idAFBody::SetDensity: center of mass (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) not at origin (-0.000001, 0.018725, -0.000060) for body 'CMeleeWeapon_atdm:moveable_dagger_33927557072'
WARNING: idAFBody::SetDensity: center of mass (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) not at origin (-0.000001, 0.018725, -0.000060) for body 'CMeleeWeapon_atdm:moveable_dagger_33957557072'
glprogs/afxweight.vfp
glprogs/afxweight.vfp
WARNING: Couldn't load image: _afxweight
WARNING: Couldn't load image: _fsfx_input
glprogs/blurx0512.vfp
glprogs/blurx0512.vfp
glprogs/blury0256.vfp
glprogs/blury0256.vfp
glprogs/afxmodulate.vfp
glprogs/afxmodulate.vfp
glprogs/afxadd.vfp
glprogs/afxadd.vfp
QuickSave
QuickSave
double fault Segmentation fault, bailing out
shutdown terminal support
signal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 1
Trying to exit gracefully..
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

I tried to use some backup past savegame, but when i near this position and i grab some keys

(office key, IE)

from a body, TDM crash with a (double) segmentation fault.

I cannot understand if the problem is on the key grabbing or on specific position, or after some time that i play.

My HW and SW specs are on my sign ;)

The problem I am having is that when I get discovered and killed and try to load (reload) either a quicksave or regular save, I just get a mouse pointer and crash and the only way is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and quit or logout. Only seems to happen on this mission. I am running 1.01.

CycloManiac!

I tried to use some backup past savegame, but when i near this position and i grab some keys

(office key, IE)

from a body, TDM crash with a (double) segmentation fault.

I cannot understand if the problem is on the key grabbing or on specific position, or after some time that i play.

My HW and SW specs are on my sign ;)

Yeah.. my segfault turned out to be related to keys and lock picks. If I try to select either, they get 'auto-used' so to speak. The key graphic or lock pick graphic repeatedly (cycling through keys) displays on the screen 3 or 4 times with the red flash of a failed unlock, even when I have not actively used the key or lock pick... then the game shuts down.

My first thought was that I had collected too many keys and triggered some bug because of it.

Edit:

I just crashed a new game. I had moved my savegame to a backup directory outside the heart directory and started over. This time the crash occurred when I was trying to drop a readable Chambermaid's Notes. I was not even accessing keys... unless a key was auto-selected in inventory when I dropped the readable. That's probably it.

This time I played it differently. The first time, I sneaked through the courtyard, went up some stairs to the balcony, and entered the bedroom by the library through an open window.

The second time I used a rope arrow to get through the ceiling in the cellar after climbing up the well.

The first time, there was one room I got into when an AI opened the door... I was able to get all (known) keys and get into nearly every room.

The second time, I knocked the AI out and took his keys (office and desk), before he opened the door. Now I am wandering around with everyone knocked out (inside) and cannot get to the library for the life of me. Before, I went counter-clockwise around the second floor, through the library, and back into the room where I started by the balcony.

Now I am kinda stuck with no pump room key and no library key.

I'm either forgetting something or I screwed up.

Edited by PranQster

need a couple spoilers here.

is the gem encrusted electric hall light mentioned in the readable lootable? can't seem to find it.

I can't seem to find the key to the upper floor south 'storeroom' notated on the map. found a readable where some crazy lady alludes to helena's chambermaid having the key, but a thorough search of her area south of the bathroom yielded no results.

wheres the hidden area in the 'library' i tried standing on some moveables and scanning the books, to no avail.

can't find the housekeepers key

never found hinckley's lockbox

OK, I reloaded a saved game and continued on with no crashes. I also made a lot of progress.

One thing I'm not sure about:

The first time I played, I got into the disused room by the library from the library ... not through the hole in the ceiling from the girl's cell above. Does the guy patrolling with 2 keys go through the library door? If so, that would explain how I got in there the first time... I KO'd the guard while he had the door open.

This time I had to go through the hole in the ceiling and then did what I needed to do in the library. Got the housekeeper's key > the keys in her room... then on to the pump room > heart, etc.

Now... I have found Tom Sam. I tried blocking the stone above from closing me in... but of course, am blocked from climbing out. It is obvious I need to dig my way out and haul Tom Sam with me.

But, damnit, I cannot figure out how to dig. I got so frustrated, I did a noclip just to see where I needed to end up. I can see where I need to go, but can't figure out how to get through. I tried my sword, my blackjack, Tom's Sam's dagger, the mace found in the torture room, etc. I even tried a fire arrow. Grrr! LOL, it's fun, but frustrating.

Also, I think the only key I don't have a door for is "Master Bedroom Key". I'll keep looking.

Edited by PranQster

... Googled for 'signal caught: Segmentation fault' and wonder is that exclusive to Linux? ...

Yeah, 'segfaults' are a royal pain. Every time I have ever seen one, there is little to no debug info to go along with it, even if debug packages are installed for the related software.

First, apologies for the crashes. This is on bugtracker so hopefully some future update will fix it. Perhaps you can post what other programs are running, eg, anti-virus, firewall, to see if there is anything in common? Also, can everyone who does NOT have a crash also post that with game style, system, etc. so we can get some idea of the proportion and maybe see if there is some common action. For instance, maybe it is associated with kills/KOs or alerts that cause a hidden fault that later is triggered. For instance, if I cause an alert I virtually always regard that as a failure so I reload. That might be a reason why I never see this problem. I'm seeing consistent gamesaves of 71 to 72MB.

ungoliant:

"Sunburst" Gem-encrusted light: In the UK, 'hall' generally signifies a main entrance hall rather than a corridor which many call a 'hall'.

The chambermaid's key referred to in Ruth's diary is for an unknown 'little' room into which she sees various people sneaking so some kind of secret. If you check out the chambermaid's room then you will find out what secret activity she is engaged in and what that secret room is likely to be and where the key is.

The clue is "reaching up for a book standing on a chair near the table in the library" so take one of the chairs from near the table and move it to a bookcase near the table and stand on it. Then examine the books for something.

"never found hinckley's lockbox" It's at the top of the spiral stair.

Diego: You should keep exploring everywhere and the story unfolds. In particular,

Hint:

Go upstairs and work through the west side of Edridge Halls.

Big Nudge:

Go up the spiral stair. You need a key at the top

Extra Nudge:

The key is in Lord Edridge's bedroom

PranQster: Yes, two ways into

the library so it is possible to bypass Martha completely.

Hint:

Read Sam's message from under his body for a big clue

Kick:

Use the Heart!

hey, i tried those suggestions and it seemed to help a little bit...

I also tried changing the image cache size from 20mb to 512 (why 20mb??) but it automatically reset.

EDIT:

i got an alert, but it must have bugged, because i wasn't anywhere near the area (guard post) that was alerted and i just came over there to find out that the area had been alerted. It was very difficult to overcome the guard post with that happening.

EDIT:

OMG you guys aren't gonna believe this...

Eleanor... has a vagina. blink.gif physically. Why? it's somewhat hairy and featureless, but it's there...

don't believe me? noclip under her bed sheets and you'll find out...

Also if you hit her in the head (you gotta get just the right angle) you can make her vibrate and make the sound of Velcro grip being pulled apart.

very sexy mod team XD

EDIT:

Wow she has a pair of jugs as well. what went through the head of the guy who made this when he was modeling this? Is there going to be an fm where you visit a whore house or something?

EDIT: oh, and just to make sure i haven't confused characters, it's the one who's been put to sleep.

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

PranQster: Yes, two ways into

the library so it is possible to bypass Martha completely.

Hint:

Read Sam's message from under his body for a big clue

Kick:

Use the Heart!

I did it (before reading your post)! Took 03:41:11 game play time.

I re-read Sam's note (did I call him Tom earlier??) and figured it out.

I forget if I got 8, 9 or 10 of the secrets... I think only 8.

Looted 8401, so I need to go back and find those last secrets.

I did find a stray broadhead arrow which I believe was related to an accident concerning one of the guards.

KO's = 28, I got 5 with 2 gas arrows... they all piled up on each other, it was lovely. Are gas knockouts counted along with the blackjack knockouts?

Bravo! Well done! I love this mission!

Try updating Dark Mod again. That 'set droppable' code is in the update so if it is not working for you then maybe a file did not download properly. Let me know what happens.

I've now used the updater to download all the updated version files to a folder on the desktop. Can I replace whichever file is suspected of being incomplete/ damaged from this? I suspect that would work if that is indeed the cause of the problem and if you agree could you let me know which file I should replace? i'm still downloading the torrent too as a backup.Thanks !

Wow she has a pair of jugs as well. what went through the head of the guy who made this when he was modeling this?

Getting the anatomy correct. It's not uncommon to model a character naked before adding clothes as far as I know.

Also, can everyone who does NOT have a crash also post that with game style, system, etc. so we can get some idea of the proportion and maybe see if there is some common action.

Never had a single crash in your mission, neither in the other ones... Running on laptop with Core2Duo 5250 @ 1.5 GHz, GeForce 8400GS with drivers 195.62, Windows 7 Professional 32 bit, Outpost Firewall Pro 2009, no antivirus...

Game style - difficulty medium, KO's, no kills, done almost 30 quick loads from quick save and with no problems...

Hope it helps:)

Getting the anatomy correct. It's not uncommon to model a character naked before adding clothes as far as I know.

I forgot to mention she has tits as well.... But seriously, i can understand modeling the shape, the guy who made it has applied a pubic hair texture and everything!

check out this anecdote btw...

btw, i ran into the strange girl thing in the upstairs locked off area. I was like "hmm an empty room and a weird picture on the back and OMG WHAT IS THAT!" and i spent the whole time doing what i had to do in that room watching that creepy little bitch from the corner of my eye, and she kept jump back in surprise and...watching me... then i tried to move the metal grating under her bed and i accidental crushed her with it and she made the most hideous screeching noise and i actually yelled in fear out loud. Her arms were flailing around wildly because she was stuck on it and my jaw completely dropped.

18588.png

well, i just managed to fix that bad crashing... here´s how.

First i updated graphic driver, of course to be sure it´s not a bug in driver itself that has been already fixed.

Then i set ingame graphic otions for AA and AF to haf values, to get sort of "safe mode".

Then ran the FM , been there for maybe 2 hrs+, saving, loading, everythig´s fine.

Hope this helps someone, although that graphic driver issues seems to be specific to my system when dealing with TDM. Don´t even know what realy helped: driver update or lowering settings, but i suspect there can be issue with that fog and high antialiasing, i remember some problems with nVidia and fog with OLD t1 and T2...

anyway, "messing" with graphic driver always get rid of my TDM problems, as i say it can be specific to my system.

Back to taffin´ now.

I love this mission. It's fantastic. The best mission yet released for the Dark Mod, in my opinion.

My only complaint is the AI being able to see through fog, but that's it.

It's massive, challenging, there's a lot to do, the story is engaging, and there is just so much loot to steal.

By happenstance, I discovered a strange AI pathing bug. I have no idea if this is the pathing in the mission, or The Dark Mod.

I was at the top of the spiral staircase, and I was moving the barrel aside to make some room for some attempted lockpicking on the door. I had moved it too far however, and it tumbled down the stairs, creating a good deal of noise.

I could hear the gentleman on the floor below looking for the source of the noise. I stayed where I was until I heard him give up. "Hm. Most vexing."

When I went back downstairs, I found the barrel had landed in standing position in the doorway to the stone corridor. In the corridor, I saw the gentleman who heard the barrel, walking determinedly straight into the wall, quite a few feet away from the barrel. He was not currently alert, either. He was saying his idle lines such as "It's too quiet. I should summon the minstrel." Incidentally, this made him remarkably easy to pickpocket.

The barrel in the doorway is directly related. When I move the barrel, he turns and enters the staircase, then goes back into the corridor and resumes his normal patrol.

If you want to see for yourself, I've uploaded a savefile. I've loaded the save several times, and he continues walking into the wall, so it's consistant. At least on my end.

Again, I dunno if this is an issue with the map, or The Dark Mod itself.

But seriously, i can understand modeling the shape, the guy who made it has applied a pubic hair texture and everything!

They knew you'd be looking.

Since TDM is not a commercial venture it doesn't need to censor stuff like this to avoid moral outrage.

Mr. Lemony-Fresh

The key is under a stone tile under one of the crates

Thief-Playah: AI getting stuck, particularly what we call 'moonwalking' is a Dark Mod problem and difficult to solve. AI behaviour is the most complex coding task. It might seem easy to wonder why he doesn't just turn around another way but it's not that simple. Nor do we have many working on the code at this time.

Trickster: Glad to hear some good news about the crashing for a change. Can you post what graphic card you are using and which drivers work/don't please? Also remind us what AA and AF settings are? Of course, it could all be coincidence and nothing to do with that. It might be one little action in game that you did before that didn't happen this time. But hopefully we might see some pattern emerge if others post.

raymeld: If you have done a completely separate full download then I would just copy the lot over to your darkmod folder. I don't know for sure which individual files it might be. For example, if you open tdm_base01.pk4 in a zip program and open scripts\tdm_events.script in a text editor you can search down and should see...

* Get or set whether an item may be dropped from the inventory

* setDroppable sets droppable when called with a nonzero argument

* When called with 0 the item becomes non-droppable

**/

scriptEvent float isDroppable();

scriptEvent void setDroppable(float droppable);

The above will not be in the earlier releases. However, the script relies on some code which is probably in tdm_game01.pk4 or tdm_game02.pk4 and not readable. If you want to try copying those three files over first but personally I'd copy the lot.

If it still doesn't work (which makes no sense) then let me know. There is a messy way to alter the FM that should at least get it working but of course, that is not the right way to 'fix' this as something is wrong so keep that as a last resort.