The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

Yeah - I knew there was an 'an' and a 'trophy' in there somewhere. What graphics card are you using Xarg? It may be there are two or more totally unrelated bugs crashing out.

[EDIT] Actually that's interesting what you said about combat because I almost never get into combat. I'm always looking for reasons why it only affects some players and not others and play style may be one; system spec another; config another.

Sapphire Radeon HD 3870, 512mb.

Sometimes if I fail an objective, rather than instantly reload, I'll go charging into combat for laughs. Attempting to quickload there when it becomes obvious I'm going to die, has caused crashes. Othertimes I get into combat accidentally, i.e. get bumped by a guy when picking a door, same thing on quickload... but it's sporadic. Might get multiple successful combat quickloads in, then the next one will just kill it.

Upgrading to an Asus Radeon HD 5850/5870 soon, I'll make sure to report in if the combat quickload crashes still occur.

Do you need more details? I.e full system specs, full game settings, etc etc.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I honestly don't know what to look for Xarg in the specs. The other poster had Nvidia. Might be worth trying reducing the anti-alias and Anisotropy to the minimum to see if it helps. Shouldn't have to but if it works then we know a little bit more.

I'm

in the library and guess there may be a secret area revealed by pressing on a book or suchlike.

. However , I've been around it so many times I'm getting dizzy. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

There is a moveable chair there, put it up to the 4 bookcases around the table, and stand on it. There is a lever on the second level bookshelves

I'm

in the library and guess there may be a secret area revealed by pressing on a book or suchlike.

. However , I've been around it so many times I'm getting dizzy. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Thanks for hint!

You are probably in

the office not the library. If it is dark stone with a few bookcases and a big desk with openable drawers and cupboards then that is the office. If so, you should continue exploring and following other clues meanwhile.

You are probably in

the office not the library. If it is dark stone with a few bookcases and a big desk with openable drawers and cupboards then that is the office. If so, you should continue exploring and following other clues meanwhile.

I am in

a large long room with many bookcases. I think it leads out to the balcony. There is a desk with moveable chairs in the middle. I've used the chair to check all the bookcases and can't see a lever. I think I'm going to need a more direct clue to find it i.e the particular bookcase!

library spoiler:

The clue says he is standing on the chair near the table in the middle so you know it is not far from there but which side? Check your compass and stand at the north side of the table. Looking north to the bookcases turn slightly to your right and you see the bookshelves are in shadow. Move the chair there and stand on it. Facing the books at about eye level but looking up slightly, look at the books. One is sticking out slightly and will highlight as you look at it. Frob it and it opens a secret door further along to the right. It times out and closes again after half a minute so if it is closed before you get to it then frob the book again.

To add to the discussion, I have found that

bookshelf switches are a lot less merciful in TDM since you have to find a switch in a visually busy context where every book could be a trigger object - and not an object sticking out of a texture.

Nonetheless, here, I found it as soon as I found the real place to search in.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

library spoiler:

The clue says he is standing on the chair near the table in the middle so you know it is not far from there but which side? Check your compass and stand at the north side of the table. Looking north to the bookcases turn slightly to your right and you see the bookshelves are in shadow. Move the chair there and stand on it. Facing the books at about eye level but looking up slightly, look at the books. One is sticking out slightly and will highlight as you look at it. Frob it and it opens a secret door further along to the right. It times out and closes again after half a minute so if it is closed before you get to it then frob the book again.

Thanks once again.

Update:

I have 2 hard drives on this system. 1 with Windows 7, and 1 with Windows XP SP3. When I put TDM over on the XP drive, and started that, everything worked flawlessly. No crashes, period. This must be something with Windows 7, Direct X 10, or something else. All the same hardware. Anyways, I am happy to report it does not seem to have anything to do with the mission itself. I'll just keep running TDM in Windows XP.biggrin.gif

Well, I've narrowed down the crashes on this mission. If I have loaded a save initially. then either try a quickload, or if I die and the it tries to go back to the main screen, I get a large white arrow on a black background, and it never goes back to the main menu or never quickloads. The only way around this is CRTL-ALT-DEL, and either bring up task manager to kill doom, or log off and restart TDM, and hope I never have to reload. I can save OK, just happens when loading.

Here are my system specs:

i7 core 920 @ 2.67Ghz

EVGA X58 Classified Mobo

6GB triple channel DDR3 memory

Windows 7 64 Bit OS

(2) 2TB SATA HD

BFG Tech Nvidia GeForce GTX 285

SB X-Fi PCIe Soundcard, 7.1 Creative Speakers

Razer Lycosa KB

Razer Mabma Bluetooth mouse

NEC 24" Accusync 24WMCX

1000W Power supply

Guess as long as I don't get caught or stuck on something, I can play....Fidcal, here's hoping for a fix. Excellent mission. Thanks.

CycloManiac!

finally got the time to finish this epic mission. my statistics were less than appealing though. although i completed all the optional objectives on the highest difficulty, i somehow managed to kill 2 people?!? if by people the game means

spiders, then hell yes i killed the crap out of those spiders in the garden. scary ass #$@!'s could not be allowed to live. the giant invincible spider managed to sucker punch me twice after activating the red powder focused by that crystal thing onto the heart when i went to grab it. scared the living crap out of me. non-dead spiders are bad. this mission should be readjusted so that you can use the heart just before shooting the guardian with a broadhead, and it 1shots it. dont care if i starve to death in the interrogation hole. at least my heart will function another 5+ years IRL.

thanks for shortening my lifespan, fid. it was worth it though <3

ungoliant:

The guardian is only supposed to be spawned if the Heart is misused, withheld. So logically I suppose the guardian should disappear or perhaps not harm the new owner. Or maybe not empowered by it anymore so you could kill it normally. I like that last one best but players would not know. I could change the clue from 'raise up a creature' to 'empower a creature' implying once the misuse is ended by transferrence to a new owner then the creature is just a normal creature with normal powers. I might look at that. I could change its colour so players realize something is different.

@rustmiste: I've been testing mostly on XP myself which fits that idea. But I have tested quite a lot on Vista. Perhaps anyone who has had crashes could post what OS they were using? Did you copy your install over, keeping the same config or did you start from scratch and define the settings anew? If so, it might still be a config thing.

Not sure if this is the right thread for the problem I'm now having...

I've been having the same problem as a few of you, where whilst loading the game I'm getting an error and having to switch to Task Manager to escape.

This was resolved by taking some advice earlier in this thread to re-download DM and start fresh. OK, did this, the game now runs, mission loaded without error.

But now I can't save. The save screen comes up ok, and I can name the save, but when I go to reload it, there's nothing to select from - no saved games, with this mission or any other for that matter.

If I go back to the old DM folder (I kept it in case), I can install other missions and save/load ok, so I'm guessing that it may have something to do with the fresh download of DM I've installed. Unless of course it has something to do with this particular mission affecting the program. Doubt it, but not sure where to turn, hence my hesitation to post this problem in this thread.

Thanks.

Sorry about the problem tinRobot.

After updating it is important to check that your updater program shows the following:

"All done, your TDM installation is up-to-date. Enjoy! "

If it does not then run the program again. If you cannot get it to complete successfully then ask again on the forums. Probably in the Dark Mod forum as I don't think this is specific to this FM. Also check after a save attempt, see if there is any file(s) in doom3\heart\savegames. Also check quicksave if that is the same as entering a name?

Sorry about the problem tinRobot.

After updating it is important to check that your updater program shows the following:

"All done, your TDM installation is up-to-date. Enjoy! "

If it does not then run the program again. If you cannot get it to complete successfully then ask again on the forums. Probably in the Dark Mod forum as I don't think this is specific to this FM. Also check after a save attempt, see if there is any file(s) in doom3\heart\savegames. Also check quicksave if that is the same as entering a name?

Thanks for the quick reply. I think too that I'm going to have to post this elsewhere. However, to respond to your suggestions:

I checked the doom3\heart\savegame folder and sure enough - there are my saved games.

I ran the updater again and noticed that it skipped my DoomConfig.cfg file as "it already existed". So I renamed it, ran the updater again and this time it downloaded the file for me.

On running TDM I can see that Heart is the currently-loaded FM, and wow, there are my saved games ready for loading! Except that regardless of which one I try to load, when I click the Load button I'm immediately taken back to the main menu (it doesn't even try to load anything). I've since discovered that this happens with any FM I load using this newly-downloaded TDM installation.

Also, although quicksave saves a game, quickload does nothing.

Something else I've discovered too: when running Heart, if I press ESC to skip the intro cut-scene, it jumps me back to the start menu (not the mission objectives screen, like it should), and once there I can't see my mouse pointer...

Urgh... I so wanted to play this mission.

I've read this thread twice but I still have some problems - maybe because my english is not perfect, or cause I had to start 3 times cause of savegame crashed (then I didn't read all the notes again - I should have)

1. I can't find the key to the housekeeper /

2. the top of the spiral stair /

3. the libary /

4. the pump station

or 5. - I can't open the glass in front of the heart

:(

Thanks, berny

tinRobot: the missing cursor is explained in the post of this thread under BRIEFING. To skip the briefing just click the left mouse button. I've not found a solution yet to the missing cursor problem.

What is the approximate size of the savegames? Mine are about 71MB. Is there anything unusual about the path names? eg, a space in a name? Are you able to upload one of the gamesaves somewhere so I can see if I can load it? Not sure what that will tell us.

Berny: In general, it is best not to worry about finding keys unless you have a specific clue. Instead, just explore where you can and study any clues. Enjoy the areas you can reach and grab as much loot as possible and look for readables with clues. Eventually you will come across something to help you make progress and as you do you will find more clues and keys naturally instead of worrying about them. Look at the map and work out which areas you've not yet been to. Almost all the keys that will find will be obvious where to use them.

More specifically, here is some help with the first key:

Hint:

Read a clue in Hocksley's footlocker which is downstairs in the south corridor in the officer's quarters where there are two sleeping guards.

Nudge:

The key is in Lord Edridge's bedroom. You should be able to work out where it is used. Good luck.

yeah! I found it - I wasn't looking for it in the cabinet^^ In 1.01 there was no openable cabinet

now everything is clear - got all the keys ;)

EDIT: but where to put sam??

EDIT: Finished ;) in 3:33 - but got and read most of the letters and clues in my first run. in this I didn't read everything again.

A very very nice mission. First I thought it's just a huge mansion mision but then... WOW - very super cool story and nice hints and sidestories. this was my best thievish experience! (in thief 2 the gameplay is cool yes, but the AI is quite old - guards don't make me scared)

Looking forward for new maps like this ;) !!!

Edited by Berny

Glad you enjoyed it Bernie. :) Plenty more FMs in the pipeline!

~~~~~~~~~~~

I've done a lot of fixes today and will test later. Hopefully I can upload a new version tomorrow.

A player reported some keys missing from other FMs. After updating TDM again it fixed it. It occurs to me that this may be the cause of the missing interrogation room key in Heart and maybe even (some of) the crashes.

It is crucial that everyone run tdm_update.exe again and again until you see the message: "All done, your TDM installation is up-to-date. Enjoy!"

Glad you enjoyed it Bernie. :) Plenty more FMs in the pipeline!

It is crucial that everyone run tdm_update.exe again and again until you see the message: "All done, your TDM installation is up-to-date. Enjoy!"

First of all - Berny without *ie* :P

looking forward for such nice maps - with more of these, this mod will get more publicly which leads into more players and more mappers ;) ;)

according to your order for the update, I tried it again and yes, there are some files left for update. I did it twice last time, but some sounds where missing - that's why your map was without a background sound.. damn, lost some ambience

EDIT: there should be an announcement about this map - cause it's really outstanding and represents the features of TDM - announcements are read more often

Edited by Berny

tinRobot: the missing cursor is explained in the post of this thread under BRIEFING. To skip the briefing just click the left mouse button. I've not found a solution yet to the missing cursor problem.

What is the approximate size of the savegames? Mine are about 71MB. Is there anything unusual about the path names? eg, a space in a name? Are you able to upload one of the gamesaves somewhere so I can see if I can load it? Not sure what that will tell us.

Re 'BRIEFING' - thanks (doh!)

Re savegame - I'm uploading one to http://www.tinrobot.biz/TDM_Heart/ Give it about an hour from this post before it's done uploading.

Re size - about 73 MB

Re path - the savegame resides in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ doom 3\heart\savegames

Thanks again.

Haha! you could have saved yourself some time if you had zipped it up - about 6MB. Also there are 3 files for each, a tga and txt but I reconstructed those so no problem

It crashed with a path error...

ERROR: Couldn't load c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\heart\maps\heart.script

My own gamesaves don't save the whole path so I think that is the error. I think there have been several posts about steam. I haven't time tonight. But if you search for steam in these forums and over at ttlg in the dark mod forum you might find something. Also on the wiki in the FAQ.

Haha! you could have saved yourself some time if you had zipped it up - about 6MB. Also there are 3 files for each, a tga and txt but I reconstructed those so no problem

It crashed with a path error...

ERROR: Couldn't load c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\ doom 3\heart\maps\heart.script

My own gamesaves don't save the whole path so I think that is the error. I think there have been several posts about steam. I haven't time tonight. But if you search for steam in these forums and over at ttlg in the dark mod forum you might find something. Also on the wiki in the FAQ.

RE file size - Wow, how stupid of me! ...was rushing off to work.

RE path - that's just the Windows Explorer location of the savegames. I'm not sure what you mean by "gamesaves don't save the whole path".

I'll start searching around for steam issues.

Something else that I've just thought of, and will check tonight when I get home: my original DoomConfig file was created by Steam - it would have the correct path to my Steam folder [which on my Windows 7 box is located in c:\program files (x86)], but the DoomConfig file I downloaded with the TDM updater might just have some generic path location in it, that I need to configure...

Many thanks.

Edited by tinRobot

EPIC MISSION!!! when I've finished it it sad that I've been playing it for 4 hours and 45 minutes, but actually I've been on this level for 3 days and it seemed like eternity.. Such magnitude, brilliant complexity and engaging storytelling I've never encounter before( of course I lie, fallout1, thief1 and deus ex1 fit this description perfectly)... one of the greatest mission I've ever played that's for sure. I can't find the exact word to describe this masterpiece. Bravo Fidcal & Baddcog! Make something like this again....

P.S. when I saw spiders chilling in the courtyard, I felt more like Garrett then Farrell.. in other words I liked it...

mike