The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

walkspeed is 70 (the default) and runmod is 2.12 (also the default) and crouchmod is 0.54 (default).

I am not sure, is it possible to stand in the canal or can you only be crouched? Maybe also the force depends on the framerate?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Same as me. I just don't know why then. It is very easy on my system to wade against the force - too easy now really. The only way it fails for me is if I am not running but walking.

Unless we know why it fails then nobody should use a forcefield in their FMs if it is critical seems to be the message. Which makes no sense of course.

I actually downloaded the beta, had this issue but because I was traveling I forgot to report it, the water seems to "flow" way too fast here, I dropped some boxes into it and they move away completely unrealistically quickly for something that is attached to a well. I'm going to check it out on a 2nd pc right now and see the difference (I know it works correctly on my housemates pc)

Update : Works flawlessly on his box, time to re-test here.

Update2 : Works here now, you have to look a bit up to get it to work - but it certainly didn't work in the beta... its a mystery :/

Awesome map, thanks Fidcal! I was able to break it using rope arrows, but I'd rather have the option to break the map rather than no rope arrows at all. If it were up to me, ropes would be in every mission :D

Same as me. I just don't know why then. It is very easy on my system to wade against the force - too easy now really. The only way it fails for me is if I am not running but walking.

Unless we know why it fails then nobody should use a forcefield in their FMs if it is critical seems to be the message. Which makes no sense of course.

It might be interesting to make some kind of test map with an array of different strength currents and then get people who initially had no problems, those who didn't after a tweak, and those who still do to try it out.

What is the difference between "dont start major alert" and "better if no one knows that anyone was there" objectives?

also heart was crashing when i saved or quick saved, i deleted all files in the heart folder except the fm itself, after that i was able to play again and saves are working, i had not played ten minutes, hopefully it was a fluke, ive read that this is a great fm and really look forward to playing it through

Edited by Thiefnsince98

Go to www.rejlive.com to make a little extra cash every month

Just when you thought it was safe to sneak around in the fog, 3 guards come sprinting at me from far away, that is hilarious, but this is an awesome fm, thanks

Yes, I think there is something in the readme about AI seeing through fog so you have to take extra care.

There are 5 degrees of alerts. The difference between the two alert objectives:

dont start major alert = They saw you and know or knew where you are/were and either directly attacking or a full scale search and destroy is underway.

better if no one knows that anyone was there = Only the lowest level of suspicion is allowed, eg, "...Did I hear something? ... but it must have been rats I guess." But if the AI actually is suspicious enough to stop and maybe look around even if he gives up quickly and dismisses it then that is enough to fail this objective. Best that the enemy have no idea anyone was there at all.

It is entirely up to the player how stealthy he wants to play so the above are both optional.

smile.gif Thank you very much, i always wondered why in any thief game foot steps made any sound at all, you 'd think that he/she would wear tabbys or something similar, that make no sound not even on metal, now snow , leaves, creaking wooden floors, doors opening/closing, player yelling in pain are unavoidable sounds that a thief might worry about. But a master thief should know better than to wear clogs when cat burglaring

I know i am not a thief or programmer, but it just makes sense to wear soft shoes smile.gif

this is probably the wrong thread for this if it is could somebody put it in the right one or tell me where, or if this has already been addressed, then let me know

Yes, that has often been discussed both here and over at ttlg.com for Thief. It's a gameplay thing. It adds another element to the stealth aspect of these games. There are many such compromises such as how does the player carry so much treasure and still walk let alone climb a drainpipe? How could a rope arrow possibly fly with a such a huge rope attached? The gameplay is richer for these so it's worth suspending our disbelief.

It does make sense now, it is a trade off, instead of creaking floors just use foot step sounds, as for the loot, well it is a world of magic, why not have a santa clause type loot bag, thanks again for being patient with my very dated questionsbiggrin.gif

Hello everyone I'm knew and I played every mission so far greatly on the MOD. For some reason I get a error on this particular mission The Heart. I'm using windows 7 64bit on a fairly new machine very high end. All other missions work great. This happens when I start up the mission. It shows mission loading and as soon as it loads the mission I get this error.

Error: Hip_Sheath_L_on_entity_"Andrew"

From the looks of it there is a mission texture for a character. I tried everything playing in window, downsize screen rez, some graphics, nothing seems to work. Your help would greatly be appreciated.

Edited by thief345

I'm still working my way through this mission, and although I'm dying to read through the thread I'm trying to keep from spoiling things. I feel like I've been most places that I can get to now, but I still can't figure out how to get into the

cell and pump

rooms. Don't give me too much, but a general nudge would be appreciated.

Also, I've been up and down

Andrew's room and can't find the key to his metal chest.

Should I be looking somewhere else?

Let me just say, Fidcal, that this mission is indeed a masterpiece. :) I have enjoyed it more than any other TDM level to date. While I've loved many of our previous maps, this one really brought home the ultimate wish I had when starting to make TDM in the first place...that one day I'd have missions like these to enjoy (just wish it hadn't come at the same time my daughter decided to want to be held every evening). :P

On the downside, it's made me a little sheepish about my own WIP FM, which seems so tiny and uninspired by comparison. I guess I'll get over it. :)

I get a error on this particular mission The Heart.

Error: Hip_Sheath_L_on_entity_"Andrew"

Seems most likely your TDM is not uptodate. Run tdm_update.exe again and make sure it tells you it is complete. Your Dark Mod main menu should show 1.01 in the bottom left corner of the right panel.

If it still does not work then copy tdm_update.exe to a temporary empty folder and run it there. Then copy the file it produces back to your darkmod folder.

Glad you're enjoying this mission Spring. :)

...still can't figure out how to get into the

cell and pump

rooms. Don't give me too much, but a general nudge would be appreciated.

Hint:

Big clue to set you on the right track is in the officer's quarters.

Spoiler:

Key in Lord Edridge's bedroom to hatch at top of spiral stair

If you have done the above: Big spoiler

Need to find the secret way through Martha's room. Things should then unfold naturally. If still stuck then post again.

...Also, I've been up and down

Andrew's room and can't find the key to his metal chest.

Should I be looking somewhere else?

Hint:

No, it is in that room

Big push:

Try climbing

Spoiler:

On top of the wardrobe

Seems most likely your TDM is not uptodate. Run tdm_update.exe again and make sure it tells you it is complete. Your Dark Mod main menu should show 1.01 in the bottom left corner of the right panel.

If it still does not work then copy tdm_update.exe to a temporary empty folder and run it there. Then copy the file it produces back to your darkmod folder.

Thanks, I will try this I did update the TDM yesterday and it didn't do nothing for me I never thought of trying it in a separate folder.

It worked better after I deleted all the files in the darkmod folder except for the fms and copied the new download ones over. Then I shut of EAX which I found helpful. One more thing sometimes it did it to me again so what I did is uninstall the mission and reinstalled it and then it worked...

Thanks for your help.

Fidcal:

I love the changes, but ran into a few weird things.

Regarding Lord Rodney...?

I was surprised not to find him in the room next to the library, but then I remembered you had mentioned something about him in the post about changes in the update.

"Lord Rodney now listens if Eleanor is OK and does not go to rear hall so does not get stuck there."

However, when I did find him, he was already either unconscious or dead on the floor in the closet next to the dining room (behind the entry hall and heart display). I had not knocked him out and had certainly not moved him into there.

I was quite surprised to find anyone in that room and more so when I shouldered him and he turned out to be Rodney. What is directly above that closet, the main hall stairway leading towards the Lady's bedroom? I had not encountered Lord Rodney in the hallway anywhere, so if he fell through the floor into the closet then he did it all on his own.

Also, about the wall texture that was missing...

... in the armory...

... it is now showing for me, but there is no wood panel or hanging static sword as you had described.... just a plain old stone wall where the hole used to be. I'm not complaining, it looks great. It's just that the wood and the sword you mentioned are not showing.

One more thing...

I had to drop and pick up the housekeepers notebook 3 separate times before it gave the objective linked to it.

About getting stuck on things... I can sometimes get unstuck from tight places by moving erratically and jumping, etc. until I get unstuck. But two places where I had to load a save were:

In the armory on top of the arrow crate by the wall closest to the rack of staffs... got stuck on the corner closest to the staffs.

In the housekeepers room, climbing from her bed onto the shelf on the wall by the head of the bed.

Not that those were important places to be, I just happened to climb there and got stuck.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8