The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

Thanks Fidcal, much appreciated.

The maps and compass have been helpful in getting around, but I think the problem I've been having is that I seem to end up in the same corridors again and again, and the ones I need to explore more thoroughly I seem to keep missing. Essentially the mansion is a large square with the main hall in the centre. I wander round and round and get nowhere, and each of the corridors look so similar that I think I might be walking past the odd room that I haven't yet entered, thinking that I've already been there. I've got dozens of notes but can't for the life of me remember where I've picked them up from. I think I just need to be more methodical smile.gif

The other issue is that

I've definitely been into Lord Eldridge's room, so I must be missing something if I need to find something incriminating. I thought I had a note that would have done it, but that objective remains steadfastly unchecked :S Hey ho, I'll keep working on it

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

About the keys.. Maybe a more rpg-ish inventory, that opens something like a list, would help navigate through many keys.

I totally subscribe! :laugh:

I'd love this feature!

I totally subscribe! laugh.gif

I'd love this feature!

The keychain mod in Oblivion was a dead handy way for managing massive amounts of keys:

http://planeteldersc...s.detail&id=681

I wonder if a similar thing could be implemented in TDM.

Edited by bambini

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Thanks Fidcal, much appreciated.

The maps and compass have been helpful in getting around, but I think the problem I've been having is that I seem to end up in the same corridors again and again, and the ones I need to explore more thoroughly I seem to keep missing. Essentially the mansion is a large square with the main hall in the centre. I wander round and round and get nowhere, and each of the corridors look so similar that I think I might be walking past the odd room that I haven't yet entered, thinking that I've already been there. I've got dozens of notes but can't for the life of me remember where I've picked them up from. I think I just need to be more methodical smile.gif

The other issue is that

I've definitely been into Lord Eldridge's room, so I must be missing something if I need to find something incriminating. I thought I had a note that would have done it, but that objective remains steadfastly unchecked :S Hey ho, I'll keep working on it

Hint:

In that bedroom there is a clue as to where to find the incriminating evidence.

Nice example. Thanks for bringing that forward. I hope that sort of thing might be implemented.

You should post that in the "Things that could be improved" thread.

Done. Seems it's something that can be implemented by the mapper, rather than by TDM.

@Fidcal: Think I'm sorted now. Turns out that

I needed to explore Martha's room a bit more thoroughly and move the furniture around a bit. I'm just entering the library now (or would be if I wasn't at work sad.gif)

No, it still needs code for the mapper to implement a keyring. Possibly with script.

What is the goal of the keyring?

A: Use only one object and it choose the right key automatically? (Could be implemented otherwise as a mod option just like "autoopen doors on lockpick" is an option)

B: Lets you cycle through your keys? (Should already work by cycling through the "keys" group in your inventory, if not, that could/should be implemented - one can already cycle through maps, so why not keys?)

What else should the keyring do?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Tels - see my post in the 'improvements' thread and post in that because we have two threads on this now. There are a lot of ideas there now but my simple idea is the keyring is a key entity called eg, keyring and everytime a key is found then used_by_keyring keyring is added to it (code needs to find the door(s) though so maybe a spawnarg on keys.)

OK, maybe I'm being dumb on this now, but I'm stuck AGAIN! How can I be finding this so difficult?

Here's as far as I've got:

The only objective left is to find out what happened to Sam. I know where to find him (Interrogation Room) and think I know which room that is (one of the cells in the Pump Room corridor), but can't work out how to get in there.

A gentle hint would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly enough I haven't been able to play this yet.

I did try awhile back and was having issues (due to having folders of stuff in my darkmod folder that were outdated.) My darkmod stuff has been a mess since my last os instal.

But I really got an urge to catch up on missions last night so I got that sorted.

I've got NHAT running fine (but had an issue with sticky F9 key so I'm still at start sad.gif

----------

But I keep getting this error trying to run this mission. It crashes out at the end of load, I never even get in game. It's the exact same multiple times in a row. I'm sure my instal is clean now, updated TDM this morning and it's up to date. DL'ed this fresh last night so it's up to date.

Must be the secret door aas.

WARNING: Door FootlockerLid_5 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING: Door FootlockerLid_6 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING: Door BustSecretLever is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING: Door SecretDoor is not within a valid AAS area
--------------------------------------
Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
Shutdown event system
malloc failure for 4194312

OK, well I had some map folders in my doom3 folder also soo...

I deleted all those, deleted the pk4 for this.

DL'ed again, this time from bloodgate instaed of Fidcal.com

The errors changed a bit, but end at the same point and crash at the end of load still.

Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
Shutdown event system
malloc failure for 4194312

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Firstly, those console warnings are irrelevant. All FMs give those warnings where a door is out of range of AI - common with things like chest lids that are monsterclipped.

Can you confirm you have not installed the release in the same folder as the old SVN stuff? That it was a clean Doom3 install with patch before you downloaded Dark Mod using tdm_update. You should also run tdm_update again and make sure it confirms it is up to date. I forget what it says but it says something to confirm (I think you have already done this but just in case.)

Also, I don't know what system you have but play on Easy if there is any performance issue because there are a lot less AI near the start.

Other possibilities are config settings. I'll do a quick search for malloc error....

Just guessing here but try entering in the console:

seta image_preload 0

just before you load the FM.

Make sure you have closed as many programs as possible, anti-virus etc that run in the background.

Hopefully someone else might have better ideas.

Have you posted your set up? graphics card, RAM, etc.?

[Edit] I say the above because I can run this FM on an old PC with an FX5900 card so I think it's more likely either a specific graphics card problem or a config setting.

thanks for the input.

I just played through Builders and had no issues in it either.

Seems like it's deffinately something about this map, I do believe I've at least got in game in every other map so far, whether or not I played through.

--------------

System specs (I doubt this is a problem)

Abit IP35 Pro mobo

Intel Q6600 quad (oced to 2.9)

4 gigs dual channel 800 ram

Ati 5850 1 GB

Anti-virus and everything off. The only thing that runs in background is CC for video card, catalyst AI turned off and all that...

------------

To note this is NOT a clean instal of Doom3, I have CD's and it takes hours. I have however cleaned up all residual stuff I'm sure. Only the 3 recent map DL's in a FM's folder are new. I checked all text files, etc..

TDM_Instal is up to date , checked this morning and again between load attempts.

-----------

I'll try the image preload thing just to check.

==========

EDIT

OK, tried to load again just from the start, but on hard:lo pc just incase (was doing hi pC)

same error but only one entry.

Then tried on lo with ste image_preload 0

same error, 3 door entries...

Strange there are no actual console errors. Can you scroll up and see if there is anything relating to the malloc (memory allocation) failure? Remember, the door warnings are normal and just to let the mapper know he has doors that the AI don't reach. They are irrelevant to crashes.

I don't know what else to suggest because obviously most everyone has played this on different systems. There has to be some slight difference with your setup.

A clean Doom3 install can be made by making a new folder anywhere, any name without spaces, eg, doom3new. Then copy into it from the old install base, d3xp, Doom3.exe

Oh woe, what pain I feel, I have finished most all objectives that are finishable before map-exit, but I still can't put my finger on these two:

Where on earth do I find more information on the Heart? I have it and all that, and I've tried going through this mission twice before, both times something made it difficult (this time as well, but I noclipped into the library where the librarian was stuck in the secret bookshelf as I knew I had to reach him) And no one of these times, no matter how far I got I never got my extra info on it, Also, where am I supposed to take sam? I have his body at the starting point of the mission now, is it a trigger on finish objective?

Edited by Tudor

Tudor:

Information objective:

Hint :

clue is in Lord Edridge's bedroom

Nudge:

The info is in the housekeeper's room

Spoiler:

Among the books on top of the desk

Sam:

Hint:

Clue is in his message

Push:

Take him to hallowed ground

Big push:

To the chapel

Kick:

Clue to where the chapel is in Ruth's diary

Spoiler:

Chapel is ground floor west corridor opposite Women's quarters

Extra:

Key is in chambermaid's room upstairs.

Haha oh man, I didn't think that far I guess!

Here I am having pulled sam through all the manor and all its defences like a looney, only to have it be far easier. Also I looked in the bookshelf but found some housekeeper book about Martha, so I didn't mind looking there any more. I've been into every room now I think, and found about 10 secrets

• 2 weeks later...

Well, don't know what the scoop is but...

I extracted all the files, deleted everything in maps except the map file. Stuck it in darkmod/maps and compiled. Oddly enough I never got any other files (.aas, proc, etc... - and don't seem to have any for my map I've been compiling).

Put it back in heart/maps.

Started right up no problems.

--------------

Anyway, I don't think I've gotten far yet. 1 secret, maybe 1000 loot... But I love it, I really didn't expect it to be so big and all the details are just amazing. You really put alot into it and I'm kindof embarrased to even be mentioned as 'by:...", but I'm glad my little area made it into such a cool FM.

Been along day though so gonna have to continue tommorrow night.

Glad you got to play your own map Baddcogg - it transformed the whole FM.

BTW, sounds like you are having pathing problems. This is how it works:

If you launch TDM via tdmlauncher then the game folder is the current installed FM plus the mod base folder darkmod is accessible. If nothing is installed then there is no game folder just darkmod.

If you launch TDM from a shortcut without any game args then only the mod base darkmod folder is accessible.

If you launch TDM from a shortcut which has args for a game folder then that is accessible as well as darkmod.

I think doom tries to find and save files in this order:

game folder

pk4 in game folder

mod base folder (darkmod)

pk4 in mod base folder (darkmod)

base folder (doom3)

pk4 in base folder (doom3)

If you dmap in darkmod with an accessible game folder then the dmap files will go in there. I am uncertain if it tries to save to a pk4 then gives up. I keep meaning to test that. I always try to avoid having a pk4 in my project development game folder to avoid any confusion.

So, if you dmapped and no files visible they are likely in whatever game folder was current when you dmapped. If they were not created at all then possibly my theory that a present pk4 blocked the save is true. In which case the previous ones in the pk4 would be used.