The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

Thanks graybeard. The 'bleaching' is normal when Doom3 crashes to the desktop. Its brightness settings are left in the graphics card settings. As I'm sure you've found out, just run Doom3 again temporarily and exit should fix that but if not then a reboot.

The other problem I just don't know. Are you able to continue?

Yes I am able to continue playing for now.

I removed all other saved games except for the last few saves from the folder and it seems to be running ok for now.

I have

turned on the bath and opened the drain after lowering the heart

and the game is still stable.

This is where it would crash when I used inventory items the last several times that it crashed.

From the other posts I've read, I have a feeling the crashing has something to do with too many saves both quick saves and named saves.

I haven't figured out exactly how to open the glass case and destroy the heart. I thought that maybe

the pure spring water would flood the room with the bath running and the drain open

but I must be wrong. I'll keep trying.

In spite of the problems with the crashing this is a superb game.

My thanks to you and Baddcog for creating it and all the other authors that give their time to "give" all of us free entertainment.

And thanks for replying so soon for this late post.

I'm glad you can continue anyway.

Re-reading the readable I now think the destroy clue you want is not as good as it should have been:

Re-read Edridge's Log where it says "It can never be destroyed save by letting pure water take it irrevocably from you." The Heart needs to be irretrievable. It's not so much the water itself that destroys the Heart but the intent of the owner to have it taken away forever. The bath water is just static water. The Heart would not be taken away. Try in the pure water spring below the manor at the furthest end where the current would take the Heart away from you.

That seems a bit too subtle to me now. I thought I'd made it more explicit than that! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm, i'm playing this mission now. :D

I have noticed a lot of positive things and also some things done poorly. :unsure:

-the huge weight of the mission on my pc (i5 760 [quad 3,5 ghz], 4 gb ram ddr3 1600mhz, HD6870, and a fast 7200rpm hard disk).:unsure:

Even if I get 60fps in large part of mission, at the beginning framerate collapses around 30.:huh:

-the fog/lighting system: in any area it seems that the gem of the visibility is always to the max. it seems noon.:laugh:

-

when I get the tunnel of the sewer, I had much difficulty in getting on the tube. I even had to take a small crate to climb.

p.s. what is the "slow motion"?

Even if I get 60fps in large part of mission, at the beginning framerate collapses around 30.:huh:

I do not know how that could have been improved.

-the fog/lighting system: in any area it seems that the gem of the visibility is always to the max. it seems noon.:laugh:

This is unknown. I have never seen this nor anyone else reported it. Gem is normal every time I've played.

-

when I get the tunnel of the sewer, I had much difficulty in getting on the tube. I even had to take a small crate to climb.

This too is unknown to me. If you mean

the vertical shaft that is the well then it has always been fairly easy to get up to the bucket rope.

I don't know what you mean. Maybe a translation error? Where in the map do you mean? And to what does it refer? Readable? Player movement?

Mmm, i'm playing this mission now. :D

I have noticed a lot of positive things and also some things done poorly. :unsure:

-the huge weight of the mission on my pc (i5 760 [quad 3,5 ghz], 4 gb ram ddr3 1600mhz, HD6870, and a fast 7200rpm hard disk).:unsure:

This mission has lots of AI and (unfortunately) Doom 3 can only use 1 CPU core... I suspect, however, that a portion of your FPS is being eaten by the fog's interaction with the Post Process shader. Try disabling the Post Process or disable the fog with "r_skipFogLights 1" in the console.

Are you recording with FRAPS while playing? Lowenz had a similar problem in Mandrasola and FRAPS was the problem. Other than that... it could again be the wacky way that the Post Process shader works with Fog?

Are you referring to "Creep" if so I think you can creep with the "Shift" key... but I'm not at home to confirm...

:unsure:

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 months later...

I'm a latecomer to TDM, so sorry if I'm thread-bumping (is that the right term?), but really wanted to say that (despite experiencing some of the 'I've obviously missed something small but vital and I have no idea where to go from here' frustration that others have reported) I am still absolutely loving this mission. I've been getting so engrossed I keep forgetting to quicksave, which makes it a major success in my book.

I'll try to do a fuller report when I've actually finished it, but the meantime, many thanks Fidcal & Baddcog!

Thanks Bikerdude. I think the main thing I'm stuck on is getting info on the Heart - apart from stealing it, I've met every other objective that has come up so far (I'm playing the easiest level). I've trawled this forum but couldn't find any reference to finding information on the Heart - if there is a relevant post I missed, apologies, and do please point it out to my simplenoob brain!

Edited by simplen00b

Either way, I wouldnt be too worried about not being able to complete the mission in one go. This is one of the few maps out there that took me several tries before I could finish it, just take your time, be thorough and dont forget to read everything you can for clues. ;)

Edited by RPGista

Glad to hear you're enjoying this mission simplen00b. :)

Clue hint:

In a footlocker in the women's quarters (ground floor west corridor south) are two messages that you should investigate.

If that doesn't help and you want a more explicit nudge:

Go to the library on the the upper floor and search the books in the middle near the moveable chairs (stand on a chair.) Two ways to get in the library (from above up spiral stair or KO the accountant as he is going through the library door.) If you've already been in the secret room then you may have missed something.

OK - good news & bad news - good news is I found spoilers on this thread about the whereabouts of the Heart info (post #270 onwards if it's any help to anyone else); bad news is....I can't find anything there. Apparently it should be

among the books on top of the housekeeper's desk

but I've just spent five minutes frobbing them from about every direction I can approach, and....nothing. I got

the incriminating evidence against Edridge in the desk with no problem

but the Heart info...no sign.

Fidcal mentions a bug if

you pick up the book of evidence before the objective to find it appears

but that wasn't the case for me, and his solution (

drop the book and pick it up again

) doesn't change anything.

Sooooo.....do I need to start again from scratch? Right from the beginning? 'Coz I was very bad and have only done a quicksave through the whole game? Instead of making regular named saves like I was meant to? *shuffles feet, examines fingernails*

Edit: Posted this before I saw your reply, Fidcal. Many thanks - I have found

the secret library room

but I'll go back and double-check it. Really appreciate everyone's help (and the mission!).

Edited by simplen00b

Yayyyy - mission finished (without doing all the optional objectives - I'll try them another time). Thanks for the tip, Fidcal - don't know how I missed it:

I had moved that pile of books to find the receipt (??? or some readable - can't remember) on the bottom shelf of the bookcase. Edridge's journal must have been the only book I managed not to frob in the process

:laugh:

Despite getting stuck (and it was on only two points that I got hopelessly stuck), it's definitely one of my top three TDM FMs I've played so far. Actually, top three FMs, period. Amazing work.

Even if I get 60fps in large part of mission, at the beginning framerate collapses around 30.huh.gif

Well, I just gotta post this every so many pages...

This is Fidcal's map, so all the praise goes to him...

Except the first outdoor area which lags out, that is mine :( LOL. I honestly don't think a lot can be done. There are a LOT of ai there, and that doesn't help. And future fixes to light gem code, etc... could help.

But that area is pretty wide open and it was really hard to optimize. I screwed with it for awhile and kind of gave up. Then Fid's adopted it. I'm glad it got used, but it could have probably been built better to begin with for performance. Was pretty early on in the days of mapping for TDM for sure.

But it's only a small part at the start, once you get into that huge mansion the performance is pretty good. It's not something I'd revisit personally.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Weird, would have to look closer to determine the issue.

It's not a 'leak' per se, that would be to the void and the map wouldn't compile. It's possible you found a spot of caulk (undrawn) that you could see through. Or maybe the camera is being forced to clip through some terrain?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think I've done something similar on a couple of other missions, but this was the only one I thought to take a screenshot of. The one I definitely remember was in the mantling practice area of the training mission - there's a plank or something leaning against a building, I mantled it and somehow managed to climb through into the void....trouble was I couldn't get out again and I think the game then froze, but while it lasted it was quite cool (in a terrifying, walking-through-the-void kind of way).

BTW, hope this isn't coming across in a snipey, 'look at these silly mistakes' way. Maybe I'm perverse, but I actually quite like finding the occasional glitch in FMs. They remind me they're put together by, y'know, human beings.... :) (I've actually done the first page of your "Teach Yourself Dark Mod In One Day" guide, Fidcal, which was enough to increase my already substantial appreciation of everyone who's managed to get even a tiny FM together. If I ever get round to finishing it, I can tell you it's going to take me a LOT longer than one day....)

Have you made any changes to your config that might affect this, eg, mantling? For example, I have a two-crouch height toggle and if I'm crouching in a low space then toggle up my head clips but I accept that's because my toggle is not official. The code makes no allowance for it. In practice it rarely happens.

Have you made any changes to your config that might affect this, eg, mantling?

Um - not sure I'd even know how to do that. (Is that the doomconfig file?) I'm tempted to ask for the details of your mantling settings but I'd be worried it'd mess things up. I'm really, really happy with the mantling/crouching settings as they stand (or crouch).

Happy to accept it may be my system settings. I've played 16 FMs so far (I'm playing them through in date order from release) and I've had at most 5 of those 'Ooh look at that, is that supposed to happen?' moments, and none of them spoiled the game for me.

• 9 months later...

I have also been replaying this in 1.08 (the last time was on release). Great fun, but some of the readables - The Book of Rogues and Lord Edridge's diary - are messed up, with occasional bad page ordering and text flowing over pages. Is this a unique glitch or did the mission break due to new TDM versions?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just finished playing this again and still enjoyed it other than the

spiders but was ready for them this time. Glad to see the evil one lose power so I could take care of it. ^_^ I had just a couple of difficulties - the books that Melan pointed out and (this one was frustating until I read about it here) I had to drop Mrs. Habbles notebook and pick it up to check off the objective. It was frustating because even though I was sure that this was the evidence because I'd played before it had been so long that I ended up running around looking for other evidence because it hadn't checked off.

Anyways thanks again for such a replayable mission!