The Dark Mod Forums

Walkthrough for Tears of St Lucia and Crown of Pentinence

patrickg30

There must be some type of bug, or my 156 IQ Mensa told me I had is on vacation!

In Tears of St Lucia, I cannot find a key (and have no lockpicks) to open the door that leads to the statue. I can't open either the one on top or the double doors at the bottom. I've spent HOURS looking everywhere all over the mission and just gave up and used the noclip.

In Crown of Pentinence, for one, I cannot take the key off the dead guard. I see it plainly, but cannot highlight it, no matter how hard I try. I roll him over, pick him up throw him all over the place. He's on his stomach and the key is right there.... tried every angle, posture, position etc...

So I use the noclip AGAIN ... I get upstairs, and I *know* the button for the safe if behind one of the two flowerpots in the room. Again, I try and try and try to find different angles to interact with the flower pots, the window sils or anything that may be behind the flower pots. - Nothing happens.

Is it a bug or am I retarted? Can someone post a youtube walkthrough video of exacly how these things are done ...

TY .. other than this, looks to me like this has the potential to be better than Thief 3!

:)

Well an alternative for saintlucia to get into the main part of the church is to either go to the left of the church and climb in the vent or shoot the chamber pot by the window at the start and look for the key that falls out that lets you get into the sewers.

In St. Lucia,

the builder guard in the main church has the key at his belt.

I have always found these keys to be extremely difficult to see both because they are tiny and not shiny enough but also have a very poor frob highlight. I gave up trying to do anything but go up behind AI and hit frob repeatedly and hope. So even if it seems not to highlight, it is worth aiming at it and hitting the frob control a few times to see if that gets it for you. Same for the other things that seem not to highlight.

It's difficult to think it could be a bug that would only affect one machine so the above is my best guess.

In St. Lucia,

the builder guard in the main church has the key at his belt.

I have always found these keys to be extremely difficult to see both because they are tiny and not shiny enough but also have a very poor frob highlight. I gave up trying to do anything but go up behind AI and hit frob repeatedly and hope. So even if it seems not to highlight, it is worth aiming at it and hitting the frob control a few times to see if that gets it for you. Same for the other things that seem not to highlight.

It's difficult to think it could be a bug that would only affect one machine so the above is my best guess.

Yeah I frob and frob and frob ... nothing... wouldn't care so much about just the lack of highlighting, it's that I cannot grab it ... same for the button for the safe in Crown of Pentinence... I can't activate it.... Wonder if it has anything to do with my key layout.

Same with St Lucia ... I've killed every guard in the mission, and none have a key on them... The one in the main church area does not have a key. The only guard that had a key was the guard inside the room with the statue... I was able to take the key off him and was also able to get the "spare" key inside the room also... but doesn't do me any good if I have to be inside the room to get the key that allows me to enter the room.

I can't think of any logical explanation. It seems unlikely your Dark Mod update is faulty because you can get one of the keys. I won't have time tonight but I'll try to find time tomorrow to look at the files.

It's strange that in Crown of Penitence you can see the key but can't frob it and the button too whereas in St. Lucia there is no key at all on the church guard.

In St. Lucia I confirm the key is there in the map initially. It's at back right of his belt. (Another guard patrols into there and talks to him so make sure you have the correct builder guard.) I also tried blasting him with a fire arrow and the key was still there after. In the inventory it is named 'vestibule key' so check you haven't already got it without realizing it. If not then there may be a file corrupt or missing on your system. Try running tdm_update.exe in the darkmod folder again and check it says:

"All done, your TDM installation is up-to-date. Enjoy! "

I don't know what else to suggest. It should not be your keyboard settings because you can frob other things OK. I don't think these keys are generally droppable so the player does not lose them accidentally but I forgot to check this. I'm fairly sure that by default keys are not droppable.

In St. Lucia I confirm the key is there in the map initially. It's at back right of his belt. (Another guard patrols into there and talks to him so make sure you have the correct builder guard.) I also tried blasting him with a fire arrow and the key was still there after. In the inventory it is named 'vestibule key' so check you haven't already got it without realizing it. If not then there may be a file corrupt or missing on your system. Try running tdm_update.exe in the darkmod folder again and check it says:

"All done, your TDM installation is up-to-date. Enjoy! "

I don't know what else to suggest. It should not be your keyboard settings because you can frob other things OK. I don't think these keys are generally droppable so the player does not lose them accidentally but I forgot to check this. I'm fairly sure that by default keys are not droppable.

Thanks, ran the TDM update, rebooted and now everything works fine! Key was on the guard, and I could grab it no problem

• 3 years later...

mild hint

search the priest's room

big hint

look for a hidden lever

There are mission threads for such questions (just saying :ph34r: ).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter