The Dark Mod Forums

What kind of religious practises do the Builders have?

Xarg

Title says it all. I'm looking to have a sound clip playing from inside a church prefab I've assigned to the Builders, and again in a large Builder outpost. The look and feel of the Builders seems to be middle ages Christians, I'm wondering if having a free gregorian chant track play from the inside of the church via a speaker fits the builders, and do I need to give any credits for the song?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Short answer: Yes, gregorian chants would suit them.

Longer answer: There is a lot of info about the Builders on the wiki, if you've not read it already: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Builders

Awesome, do I have to give any notes/credits for where I got the track from? I don't know the artist(s)

I got it from http://www.archive.o...CreatorSpiritus after doing a google search for 'free gregorian chant sound clip'. The text in the blue bar of the browser says "Internet Archive: Free Download: Veni Creator Spiritus - Gregorian Chant". That should be free enough, right?

The artist is "Gregorian chant performed by Portuguese vocal ensemble Coral Vértice (based in Lisbon, Portugal)."

conditions are

• Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

Attribute this work:
    information.png

What does "Attribute this work" mean? The page you came from contained embedded licensing metadata, including how the creator wishes to be attributed for re-use. You can use the HTML here to cite the work. Doing so will also include metadata on your page so that others can find the original work as well.
  • Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
  • No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.

Edit: I guess this means I can use it (tdm isn't a commercial venture), I won't be altering it, so long as I give credit to the artist. Would a link and mention on the eventual FM release page be sufficient?

Edited by Xarg

If that's all the information they gave on the site itself, then by their own standards that should be enough. Just throw that information into the readme and you should be fine, possibly also the link to the site where you got it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Title says it all. I'm looking to have a sound clip playing from inside a church prefab I've assigned to the Builders, and again in a large Builder outpost. The look and feel of the Builders seems to be middle ages Christians, I'm wondering if having a free gregorian chant track play from the inside of the church via a speaker fits the builders, and do I need to give any credits for the song?

Actually, the Hammerites and Mechanists resemble medieval Catholicism. It was mainly the Catholics who were violent and force their religion on others. Not all believers were like that back then. Catholicism and Christianity are very different when you think about it.

Just saying. :mellow:

it was mainly the Catholics who were violent and force their religion on others. Not all believers were like that back then.

Assuming we're talking about the middle ages, all "believers" were Catholics. Unless you're talking about Waldensians, Cathars, or other heretical sects of the time, none of which lasted very long.

Assuming we're talking about the middle ages, all "believers" were Catholics. Unless you're talking about Waldensians, Cathars, or other heretical sects of the time, none of which lasted very long.

For the most part, yes. I may or may not be wrong, but I think some were not Catholic.

Not really. In my ecclesiastical Latin class, I constantly translate works of such a kind.

One of my previous bits of homework was about the Eutychian controversy. This old monk taught a subtle variation on catholic teachings, but only 3 years later he was denounced as a heretic and anathema. The Ecumenical Councils are ruthless.

If that's a bit of a downer, I can also tell ye a funny story about Bishop Gregory around the 600's AD.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

• 2 weeks later...

well they wouldn't be druids, the romans did a good job of erradicating that religion, and those idiots that go to stonehenge every midsummer who claim to be druids, aint, cos they're worshiping the wrong place at the wrong time of year.

Same as those 'idiot' Christians worshipping the birth of Christ at the wrong time I guess. Like most things, religion evolves over time.

druids worship ash trees and lakes, did ritual human sacrifice and canabalism, and were celts, the stone circles were probably built by the picts although its not sure who actually built them, between 8000bc and 3000bc, who's religion was based on the sound of things and the winter soltice, two different cultures and religions.

So the druids who go to stonehenge to worship something they never built, and not at the soltices are idiots.