The Dark Mod Forums

New Ambients, Themes, And Gregorian Chants

Muze

Some chants:

chant1

chant2

chant3

Several ambient hums that loop seamlessly rated at subtle, medium, and intense. About 4 or 5 of each.

hum_intense1

hum_intense2

hum_intense3

hum_intense4

hum_intense5

hum_medium1

hum_medium2

hum_medium3

hum_medium4

hum_medium5

hum_subtle1

hum_subtle2

hum_subtle3

hum_subtle4

Some longer ambients

ambient1

ambient2

ambient3

ambient_alienbirds

I separated the following previously submitted themes from their background hums. They were also improved somewhat. These themes work well with any ambient hum but also by themselves. There is alot of space in them, which can be effectively subtle. Here are EXAMPLES of hums and themes mixed -

hum_subtle2+musicbox1

hum_subtle3+creepypiano_strings

hum_medium5+bell_banging_swells

Everything can be found in /TheDarkMod/audio/unfinished/muze/

Here are links to the unmixed themes:

musicbox1

creepy_piano_strings

bell_banging_swells

Edited by Muze

That's great stuff. I 'd love to hear this type of chant in Builder cathederals. My only crit is that if you want to keep it sounding realistic rather than sampled, you should keep it to one voice ony, I heard overlaps in the first oine, and some kind of organs playing, and towards the end of the second there is suddenly quite a scale range from low to high, and in the first one some notes too quickly in sucession. All of those little things tend to make it sound artifical.

The first half of the second piece is exemplary in this reguard, it sounds real.

I'd say just keep it to a clean single line voice sample within a small range and no fast successions of notes.

I like the alien birds as well, would really fit into a level like trail of blood in T2.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

My only crit is that if you want to keep it sounding realistic rather than sampled, you should keep it to one voice ony, I heard overlaps in the first oine, and some kind of organs playing, and towards the end of the second there is suddenly quite a scale range from low to high, and in the first one some notes too quickly in sucession. All of those little things tend to make it sound artifical.

The first half of the second piece is exemplary in this reguard, it sounds real.

I'd say just keep it to a clean single line voice sample within a small range and no fast successions of notes.

I think they sound as realistic as they're going to get. The overlaps are on purpose and there are no organs playing. And I don't hear any fast successions of notes. The range may be a little wide but it's not an unrealistic range for the human singing voice. It may get a little less human sounding when the notes are high in the first one, and the beginning of the 3rd one has a bad entrance. I'll make some adjustments when I get a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Great. Then here we go..

First, I commited the chants to CVS some time ago, since they were good to go.

mb_ambient01 Good. I'll upload this one.

mb_ambient02 This should be made a short loop instead since it just repeats one pattern. I can do that myself though, and then commit it.

mb_ambient03 Ok I guess. Could also be shortened.

mb_ambient_alienbirds Cool sound. This one's ready to go.

mb_hum1_LP Ok

mb_hum3_LP Ok

mb_hum_intense(1-5) 2 and 5 are good. 1 and 4 sounds a little too much, and 3 is just.. not very hummy.

mb_hum_medium(1,2,5 (three and four corrupt!)) All good hums, I especially like number 5.

mb_subtle(1-4) Nothing to complain. Good good.

Then we have the themes:

- Bell banging

- Creepypiano

- Musicbox

I am not sure how to handle these partly "empty" files. I'm wondering if that could be done with a soundshader instead of wasting filesize like that. Or whether it's better to have them empty and the author adds a hum or do it the Thief 3 way with "full" themes. This: is a theme from Thief 3. Check it out and think about what way would be best.

More musical criticism:

Bell bangings - The bells in the beginning sound a little too fake. Maybe you can find some better samples of real bells? The background bangings are great. And the string/synth part have Thief all over it. :)

Creepypiano - Again, it (the piano) sounds a little too much like a synth. Check out the Thief 3 sound I linked to. That's more like it. Are you using a VST plugin or just midi? I don't know but you might be able to improve the sound with the right effects, or get a better plugin. Steinbergs "The Grand" is supposed to be really good. Pretty expensive though :)

Musicbox - The "sound" is perfect in this one. And the melody is perfect until 0:49 where it seems to disappear. It ends quite abruptly right there. Then there is a short thing between 1:00 and 1:10 which is good. Then it starts again at 1:19 with something that sounds pretty strange. The "effect" kinda takes over here. Then it plays the first part again (which is great).

I think that's pretty much it, hehe.

Keep up the great work! :)

mb_ambient02 This should be made a short loop instead since it just repeats one pattern. I can do that myself though, and then commit it.

mb_ambient03 Ok I guess. Could also be shortened.

ambient02 could be shortened I supposed, but ambient03 changes the entire time. If you can make a loop out of part of it that you like in the interest of saving space I guess that's ok. Or don't use it at all.

mb_hum_intense(1-5) 2 and 5 are good. 1 and 4 sounds a little too much, and 3 is just.. not very hummy.

As for the hums feel free to commit the ones you think work the best. As for intense01 that was inspired by a level in Thief 2 that had teh most oppressive sounding distorted electric guitar type scream in the background. Intense03 probably should have been an ambient. It's more of a SS2 sound, and may not prove useful here.

mb_hum_medium(1,2,5 (three and four corrupt!)) All good hums, I especially like number 5.

I tried reuploading 3 and 4. 4 works for me, yet for some reason 3 doesn't, even though they both play fine on my computer. Let me know if they're still broken for you.

Bell bangings - The bells in the beginning sound a little too fake. Maybe you can find some better samples of real bells? The background bangings are great. And the string/synth part have Thief all over it.

OK I can improve the "bell." It's actually the tail end of a piano sound echo that I liked and thought it sounded bell like. In my own defense, I wasn't actually trying to make a bell sound ;)

Creepypiano - Again, it (the piano) sounds a little too much like a synth. Check out the Thief 3 sound I linked to. That's more like it. Are you using a VST plugin or just midi? I don't know but you might be able to improve the sound with the right effects, or get a better plugin. Steinbergs "The Grand" is supposed to be really good. Pretty expensive though

OK you lost me here. Reproducing realistic piano sounds is not a problem here, and doesn't apply to this case. That patch, from a Triton Extreme keyboard, plays a piano note and then plays the same note in reverse while you hold it. It may not sound like a real piano for THAT reason, but I don't think it sounds like a synth or "MIDI" piano at all.

Musicbox - The "sound" is perfect in this one. And the melody is perfect until 0:49 where it seems to disappear. It ends quite abruptly right there. Then there is a short thing between 1:00 and 1:10 which is good. Then it starts again at 1:19 with something that sounds pretty strange. The "effect" kinda takes over here. Then it plays the first part again (which is great).

I guess it sounds as if it ends abruptly but all of these longer pieces are meant to have space, and then more than likely coupled with an ambient hum. If you want to just use the part(s) you like from it, you can.

Edited by Muze

For some reason I said three and four were corrupt. I meant two and three. Three works now tho, I'll be uploading that one.

In my own defense, I wasn't actually trying to make a bell sound ;)

Heh, okey, you're excused. :)

OK you lost me here. Reproducing realistic piano sounds is not a problem here, and doesn't apply to this case. That patch, from a Triton Extreme keyboard, plays a piano note and then plays the same note in reverse while you hold it. It may not sound like a real piano for THAT reason, but I don't think it sounds like a synth or "MIDI" piano at all.

Ah, I didn't realise the "effect" was part of the piano sound. I just figured it was something you added on top of it. Okey, saying it sounds like midi was probably a bit harsh, sorry about that. :) Still, I guess you could add real sampled piano tones on top of the psycho piano to get a "richer", less "computerish" sound and also keep that cool reverse effect.

I guess it sounds as if it ends abruptly but all of these longer pieces are meant to have space, and then more than likely coupled with an ambient hum. If you want to just use the part(s) you like from it, you can.

Hm, I think you misunderstood me here. I didn't mean the silence sounds odd (I mean, it's silence after all) but to me, it seems like the "melody" should keep going for a while longer at 0:49. You know.. dadaadadadadaaadaaaaa. You know? ;)