The Dark Mod Forums

Textures not loading

Avan

I have just downloaded TDM using the installer/downloader but I'm having a problem that doesn't appear to be listed anywhere. I've searched these forums, I've gone through the installation guide and the FAQ but everything that seems to be for the problem I have hasn't helped.

Basically, when I load the mod I get the music playing but the screen is totally black. I can see the mouse pointer and I can hear the sounds as I pass it over the buttons but I can't see a damn thing.

When I bring up the console I can see that there were 166 warnings during loading saying 'could not load image', so my guess is that the game can't find the images and so it's just using blank ones instead.

I have followed the installation instructions, I am running the 1.3.1 patch, I've added commands into the DoomConfig.cfg file as mentioned in the FAQ, I've also switched the Thread Optimisation off under the NVidia control panel.

But it's not working...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[edit]

I just thought, someone is probably going to ask for my system spec, so:

Intel Core 2 Duo - 3ghz, 4 Cores

4gb DDR3 (that's physically installed memory)

NVidia GForce GTS 250 1gb (driver version 197,13)

Windows XP Home (32bit)

Edited by Avan

Is Doom3 running correct?

I had for myself problems with this Nvidia driver, but in my case Doom3 didn´t even started! Now I´m using the 195 version but I can´t tell if DarkMod is running correct ´cause I´m still downloading, it must be six hours by now.... :blink:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Avan: Check the link below. Come back if still not working. smile.gif

http://modetwo.net/d...en_mostly_black

I thought I'd tried this but those lines mentioned in that section aren't in my DoomConfig.cfg file, so I've just tried again with no luck. Weirdest thing however is those lines have now vanished from the file, as if the program itself is removing them!

I'd rather leave trying the older NVidia drivers as a last resort. I'm sick of re-adding all my settings everytime I install NVidia's software.

Any other suggestions?

First thing is first, did you have anything installed before TDM (i.e an old version of Doom3 which you then patched).

If you did have an old install of doom3, please consider reinstalling it, then patching (dont install RoE), then TDM. Make sure you install to C:\doom3 or something very simple without spaces/uppercase etc.

If you dont mind trying something that -may- break doom3, please search the doom3 subdirectory and all other subdirectories for 'gamex86.dll', there should be a good few of these. Delete them all.

These are just random shots in the dark ;)

First thing is first, did you have anything installed before TDM (i.e an old version of Doom3 which you then patched).

If you did have an old install of doom3, please consider reinstalling it, then patching (dont install RoE), then TDM. Make sure you install to C:\doom3 or something very simple without spaces/uppercase etc.

If you dont mind trying something that -may- break doom3, please search the doom3 subdirectory and all other subdirectories for 'gamex86.dll', there should be a good few of these. Delete them all.

These are just random shots in the dark wink.gif

Ok, just to make sure I'm doing it right, I've uninstalled Doom3 completely and taken out all TDM files, rebooted, reinstalled Doom3 plus the 1.3.1 patch and I'm running the TDM installer now. I'll let you know about success or failure once it's done.

One question, you say '(dont install RoE)', do you mean 'at all' or 'not until after I've got TDM working'?

Edited by Avan

One question, you say '(dont install RoE)', do you mean 'at all' or 'not until after I've got TDM working'?

I have no idea - I had a friend with similar issues, but when reinstalling I skipped RoE and it worked. I, myself havent installed RoE before or after TDM, but should TM work please do try and see.

The rest sounds correct tho, here's hoping it works! :)

Ok, well it's been interesting trying to get this running but I've finally managed to get it all working, Doom 3, ROE and TDM all happily running.

I think the problem may have been caused by one of the mods I had previous installed into Doom 3 (and later removed), this being one of the Relief Mapping mods for the main Doom 3 campaign. I had removed it because although my system was plenty powerful enough to run it and it was damn impressive, there were too many glitches in the effect.

My feeling is that the Relief Mapping mod made some changes I didn't know about in the settings and left it in a state that was unable to load the TDM textures.

Either way, it's working now so I'm off for some thievery!

Thanks for you help.