The Dark Mod Forums

How to make Cvars be constant?

LEGION

I want to activate this:

tdm_frob_ammo_selects_weapon (this is from your wiki, but it´s wrong!)

the right cvar is:

tdm_frob_weapon_selects_weapon

But everytime I write it in the console (FM installed or not), on the next gamestart it´s gone! (back to default) The same for the DoomConfig(if it would be standing in it in the first place, it would work, like the playerShadow I activated, beautiful by the way!)!

Is there a way to solve this?

Ok, I can bind a key with this, but there must be a way! Maybe changing the default value? However to achieve this...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I want to activate this:

tdm_frob_ammo_selects_weapon (this is from your wiki, but it´s wrong!)

the right cvar is:

tdm_frob_weapon_selects_weapon

I have corrected the wiki, thanx!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Generally note several points about configs:

Check if it is a Dark Mod menu option. If so, use that unless it's a special customisation such as screen res.

If manually changing DoomConfig.cfg then make sure you read the following because Dark Mod works differently to Doom3 and other mods:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=DoomConfig.cfg

Some settings do not seem to stay fixed, for example, field of view g_fov. If so, you can also try putting a setting in autoexec.cfg. Either add to an existing autoexec.cfg or create a new one if not. This can go in the doom base folder to be global or in darkmod to be global to all darkmod gameplay or in a game folder to be specific to that. Note the syntax seems to be slightly different to DoomConfig.cfg and it does not use the quote marks, eg,

set g_fov 75

I cannot guarantee it will always work though as I recently had some odd changes which I've not had time to investigate. :)

To bind a cvar to a key by example:

bind "KP_5" "r_showtris 3"

To toggle a cvar on and off:

bind "KP_5" "toggle r_showtris 0 3"

For other keybind examples and help see:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Bindings_and_User_Settings

I have to create the autoexec.cfg, right? Cause I don´t have one!

So, I´m always trying things first in the console and this way I don´t have to uninstall any FM, cause the cfg´s are synchronized upon quitting DarkMod, right? And when a change is not 'sticky', I don´t have to bother trying Doom3config, cause it won´t work anyway, right?

And when using Autoexec.cfg in the first place, it overrides maybe existing different values in the Doom3config?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I tried the same for Doom3 itself with 'pm_walkspeed 110'. When I´m in the main menu and put down the console to check, it´s working. But when I start or load a game, Doom3 sets it back to the default value! I tried it with 'set' and 'seta', but nothing was successful.

So I added it in the default.cfg located in pak000.pk4, but this isn´t working too. That´s odd, because this way I added 'seta com_allowConsole "1"' some days ago. (to get the console just with '^') But this is now working too with the Autoexec.cfg. Hmm, where the hell are the default values set? Can I even get there with simple Notepad?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Maybe some things are hard coded. Changing the walk speed for instance can break missions. Run speed is based on it so if you can outrun a front gate guard and get into a mansion at the start in the front door then it might all go wrong if the FM-maker designed it so you should not. Or climb a wall that should be too high etc. I just don't know.

Yeah, I thought that too. I wanted only to be slower in Doom3 and here the run-speed is set to a value (200), no matter how fast or slow the walking-speed.

I know that the DarkMod modifies the current state so I won´t mess with it!

Another observation: It seems DarkMod is using this default.cfg from the Doom3-folder, cause I had this 'allow_console'-cmd in there and now, that I put it in Doom3´s Autoexec the console in DarkMod is 'old-style' (with Strg+Alt to put it down). So it was a good thing the 'pm_walkspeed' didn´t worked, other way I would had changed the walk speed in DarkMod too without knowing of it. I say this in case other users might wanna try what I did. No messing with the 'default.cfg'!;)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more