The Dark Mod Forums

Real life occupation and all that

Diego

Hi there

So today I came home, checked my email, ate something and checked to see if there was anything interesting in the forum where people from different corners of the planet, all ages and different occupations talk about this game, that's really a mod, design implications of first/third person mode, footsteps sound and if it's possible to really knock someone out with a club in real life.

The internet is weird.

But anyway, I really like this forum and you all seem like nice people :) So I'm curious about the real people behind the (sometimes complicated) nicknames!

Here I am (with my name in the wrong order for an English page).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm Dave (surprise), 37. I'm in the east coast US, play guitar and piano, bike a lot, enjoy nature and architecture and technology and gaming and music and all things evocative, and work in (you guessed it) software QA.

@Melan: I had no idea english wasn't your first language. It's perfect.

@Marcus: Impressive stuff; I wish I could bring 1/10 as much creativity out of myself. All that and making FM campaigns... I still think you're multiple people. My favorite on your page is "Antebellum" (a shame that "The Shepherd" isn't longer, as it's a very close second! Is the lead performance real, or has synth tech gotten a lot better than I realize?).

@Diego: You didn't start the thread with yourself.

I'm continuously impressed and humbled by all of the varied and undeniable talents people surrounding this game demonstrate and have brought to this production. Like spokes on a wheel, if any of you were missing, The Dark Mod wouldn't be what it is today.

I'm a lawyer in Washington D.C. doing international environmental law, and apparently like all the things Dave just mentioned. Anyway, I'm trying to learn jazz piano and Japanese these days.

Interesting thing I've discovered playing around with TDM is that law isn't too different from scripting & C++ coding. In both cases you have these massive collection of "lines" you have to dig through, get your bearings, have an idea what the whole thing does & how, and then find the little comma or word at one place that screws everything up, and how to fix it so it does what you want. It's actually pretty funny how similar the thinking involved is.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm 30, Austrian, engaged to angua, our son is turning eight monts next Thursday. I've graduated in Technical Physics, am working in the software/consulting business (mostly Microsoft-centered technologies) as programmer/architect/jack-of-all-trades. Whenever I'm not totally busy with my family, I'm biking, playing electrical guitar, Volleyball, board games. That, and coding on TDM and DarkRadiant. When I joined the mod I was 26 and I really had no idea how this all would turn out.

I'm a lawyer in Washington D.C. doing international environmental law, and apparently like all the things Dave just mentioned. Anyway, I'm trying to learn jazz piano and Japanese these days.

Interesting thing I've discovered playing around with TDM is that law isn't too different from scripting & C++ coding. In both cases you have these massive collection of "lines" you have to dig through, get your bearings, have an idea what the whole thing does & how, and then find the little comma or word at one place that screws everything up, and how to fix it so it does what you want. It's actually pretty funny how similar the thinking involved is.

A lawyer fm maker? cool.

I'm 38, with five year old and three month old daughters. I teach Media Studies and Visual Arts at the highschool level. Used to do freelance illustrating for fantasy RPGs, but TDM and children have eaten up the free time I used to have for that.

I'm a lowly college student studying to get his Bachelor's in Latin, Koine Greek, and Ancient Hebrew. (Hooray for dead languages?) After that, I'll spend four more years Getting an MDiv.

I really, REALLY, enjoy making music. I'm a semi-pro trombonist, and I dabble in Organ Music as often as I can. Through my father, I got interested in programming, and audio technology. TDM is yet another great outlet for creativity and problem-solving.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I'm a 22 year old Canadian. Right now I'm working part-time selling clothing but I have my Bachelors of Business Administration degree finished and I'm preparing to write the GMAT to hopefully start my Masters of Business Administration this September! Other than school which definitely makes up the majority of my life, I enjoy just relaxing on the computer, dirt-biking, snowboarding, jogging, cooking, mapping! and theology...

I also enjoy long walks on the beach :P

I'm 25. My real name is my screen name backwards.

I'm learning Polish, aiming to be proficient in 5 years, and I want to learn Chinese Mandarin over around 10 years. Currently I'm obsessed with molecular biology. That atoms dance around, forming 'problem-solving' networks, being refined over millions of years fills my mind with wonder. I want to spend my life studying this.

I play guitar, upright bass, keyboard, and violin (badly). Saving up for a saxophone.

I love snuff tobacco. The sliding thingy on my computer desk that normal people use to keep the keyboard is littered with dozens of tins of many different flavours. ^_^

Ooops, I forgot one thing: I'm a big shogi fan. It's a bit like chess, but instead of playing a move you can reintroduce pieces captured off your opponent onto virtually any square. It makes for an insane game where a rock-solid defense and strategic imagination really come into play. My avatar is a pawn.

Edited by Neb

I'm Serpentine - I do stuff

23, Finishing off my degree in software engineering and the usual - which has taken too long to to my disregard for structure, academics and the rest. I lurk around helping out on a number of open-source projects helping with most things that arnt code as it feels too much like my academic work! as such I help TDM out with texture work and some end user support. I'm not going to pretend I am sporty - I do enjoy walking. I've been known to be an EVE player, tho I am quite inactive at the moment.

Neb, czemu akurat polski? Pytam z ciekawości :)

I'm not confident enough to try and form full sentences yet, but there are thousands of Polish immigrants where I live in the UK, and I can't leave the house without hearing the language on the street (or at parties). Also, I keep seeing more and more Polish on the internet to the point of being exposed to musicians and films. It seems worthwhile to learn, and I'm also enjoying it a lot.  :)

I'm a 34 year old German. I have a 3 y/o daughter and a 1 y/o son. I'm working as a freelance translator (English and Russian) for various customers, mainly from the IT business.

My nickname is a relic from way back in school: My thinking at the time was that my family name has 7 letters, I feel rather up than down, and oh yeah, I'm a guy. However, for online games like Counter-Strike:Source I recently switched to the name "[AmA]Phowltear" - just in case someone stumbles over me.

Serpentine, interesting that you mention EVE: I had to give it up when my daughter was born - EVE just burns too much time. I was Gallente, by the way, with my Megathron armed mostly with large-caliber projectile cannons.

I used to play keyboard but had to give that up when I began with my studies - too bad, because I was really getting the hang of it.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'm Ungoliant - and I don't do stuff.

27, I am the epitome of typical American mediocrity. I have an associates degree in Computer Networking that I've never used and is now 7 years outdated, and half a BA in Computer Science that I dropped out of 2 years ago. I leave most things I start half finished or make no practical use of them, work the system, and eat taxpayer dollars. Some things that I have started, done fairly well at, and then abandoned include: chess, poker, piano, violin, computer progamming, and home construction. Since the 3rd grade i've probably read 1000+ works of fiction/fantasy.

Most of the time, my professional career consists of sales jobs, and playing poker. Both fluctuate between flush and bust on a revolving basis. Sometimes I'm so broke i need food stamps. Sometimes i just have thousands and thousands of dollars lying around that i don't even know what to spend on. (Right now I'm in total bust phase and feeling somewhat moody about it).

In my current free time, (and there's lots of it), i replay video games that make me nostalgic like FF7, or Thief. I also very much enjoy working on my TDM FM, drinking beer, smoking cigarettes, and watching public access television all simultaneously. I'm currently employed as a front desk clerk at a 2 star hotel, but i don't think i'll be there long

I'm a 34 year old guard named Benny who tries not to jump at moving shadows while walking around on patrol routes. And I like to dance around and play with my 10 month old son named Garrett.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I'm a 34 year old guard named Benny who tries not to jump at moving shadows while walking around on patrol routes. And I like to dance around and play with my 10 month old son named Garrett.

You named your kid Garrett? You, Sir, win this thread. :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm not confident enough to try and form full sentences yet, but there are thousands of Polish immigrants where I live in the UK, and I can't leave the house without hearing the language on the street (or at parties). Also, I keep seeing more and more Polish on the internet to the point of being exposed to musicians and films. It seems worthwhile to learn, and I'm also enjoying it a lot. :)

I'm learining English almost 20 years and I still have difficulties when tourists ask me for directions :)

It's only a model...

I'm a 34 year old guard named Benny who tries not to jump at moving shadows while walking around on patrol routes.  And I like to dance around and play with my 10 month old son named Garrett.

You know, just before our son was born, my gf and I seriously considered naming our boy Gerrit or Gerret. We gave that idea up due to the fact that no one we even remotely knew what called this way and settled for Marcus Werner. Also, Gerrit/Gerret Werner (Werner after my grandfather) would have sounded a bit awkward.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.