The Dark Mod Forums

Real life occupation and all that

Diego

A couple of days without internet and so many replies!

Nice to know a little about everyone :)

You didn't start the thread with yourself.

Oh, right! I'm from Brazil (or Brasil) so my native language is portuguese. I have graduated in physics and now I'm doing a masters program. Is this right? I never know how to say this things in english.. "I have a BS, I am studying for an MS" sounds weird. Anyway, I have so many hobbies that they almost get in the way of my "real life occupation"! 3d modeling and animation, (CG in general) programming, music, games, etc..

I'm Ungoliant - and I don't do stuff.

27, I am the epitome of typical American mediocrity. I have an associates degree in Computer Networking that I've never used and is now 7 years outdated, and half a BA in Computer Science that I dropped out of 2 years ago. I leave most things I start half finished or make no practical use of them, work the system, and eat taxpayer dollars. Some things that I have started, done fairly well at, and then abandoned include: chess, poker, piano, violin, computer progamming, and home construction. Since the 3rd grade i've probably read 1000+ works of fiction/fantasy.

Most of the time, my professional career consists of sales jobs, and playing poker. Both fluctuate between flush and bust on a revolving basis. Sometimes I'm so broke i need food stamps. Sometimes i just have thousands and thousands of dollars lying around that i don't even know what to spend on. (Right now I'm in total bust phase and feeling somewhat moody about it).

In my current free time, (and there's lots of it), i replay video games that make me nostalgic like FF7, or Thief. I also very much enjoy working on my TDM FM, drinking beer, smoking cigarettes, and watching public access television all simultaneously. I'm currently employed as a front desk clerk at a 2 star hotel, but i don't think i'll be there long

Trust me when I say you are a long shot from what is considered typical American Mediocrity

I am Attila, from hungary. Been gaming since c64, started modding for morrowind around 2001-2, middle earth mod (memod) which sadly ended in fear of license holders shutting it down. I've been doing modeling ,mostly lowpoly static objects.Also been on the Tdm team(at the time when the lightgem finally started to flicker in the dark:D) for a time until university kicked in, i had to move away 400 km(may not seem much but its hungary) from my hometown.I study architecture, and have been playing around with darkradiant since the tdm1.0 is out,made a bunch of got-nowhere maps.Guess making a map isnt just architecture at all:)

In hobbies i am a bit like ungoliant, started on various things that never really got anywhere, skateboarding, playing guitar. Also some are just stagnating,like modeling,drawing.

Edited by _Atti_

Oh wow, this is always so hard. It feels like I can only tell you all boring things, or brag like hell, neither of which I want to do.

But what is there to know about me? Well, I'm actually very good at doing very little apart from thinking about things, and this rarely ever yields anything either in terms of practical results. I theorize and analyse, and I ponder things philosophically. I tell my thoughts to my girlfriend who doesn't care, and she calls me nerdy. I'm happy with that.

I play some guitar, some hammond organ, some Violin. But most of the time, I make noises that I haven't heard before, with whatever tools I can, I have used a bit of Max/MSP, and I so wish i had a big analogue Buchla synthesizer. I am also an enormous nerd for music, and have a tendancy to listen to the albums I like from start to finish over and over, until I get tired. I know a lot about a lot of artist, but have a hard time bragging about it, since I don't know much about the legendary ones. ie: I can tell you everything about Magazine, I barely know any song by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I can tell you just what Resplandor are up to and which of their songs are the best (in my opinion of course). But I would have a hard time remembering what the people in Metallica are named. And that's how it goes. I suppose someone of you will recognize my Avatar I use here on the forums, and it ties in well with my music-nerdery.

What people tell me is my main skill is using pencils and pens and what ever else producces a visual result. I have an enormous art interest as well, but that is nothing I want to go too far into, that together with music is a lot more than I dare to write down, it has probably been two thirds of my entire life, with the last one being an interest in cultures, politics and language, and to some extent computers.

I'm native of sweden, but often find myself thinking in english. Both me and and one of my two brothers (the younger one) often preferred to speak english throughout the years especially to eachother, because of a general dislike of swedish and how things spoken in swedish come across.

I am 18, whatever that matters, My hair is very dark brown, I have always had terrible grades in everything but the arts and language. I barely know the answer to 2+2

That's all I think there is to know about me. My personality, my morals and principes, and whatnot, would have to come up in a face to face discussion.

Oh wow, this is always so hard. It feels like I can only tell you all boring things, or brag like hell, neither of which I want to do.

But what is there to know about me? Well, I'm actually very good at doing very little apart from thinking about things, and this rarely ever yields anything either in terms of practical results. I theorize and analyse, and I ponder things philosophically. I tell my thoughts to my girlfriend who doesn't care, and she calls me nerdy. I'm happy with that.

I play some guitar, some hammond organ, some Violin. But most of the time, I make noises that I haven't heard before, with whatever tools I can, I have used a bit of Max/MSP, and I so wish i had a big analogue Buchla synthesizer. I am also an enormous nerd for music, and have a tendancy to listen to the albums I like from start to finish over and over, until I get tired. I know a lot about a lot of artist, but have a hard time bragging about it, since I don't know much about the legendary ones. ie: I can tell you everything about Magazine, I barely know any song by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I can tell you just what Resplandor are up to and which of their songs are the best (in my opinion of course). But I would have a hard time remembering what the people in Metallica are named. And that's how it goes. I suppose someone of you will recognize my Avatar I use here on the forums, and it ties in well with my music-nerdery.

What people tell me is my main skill is using pencils and pens and what ever else producces a visual result. I have an enormous art interest as well, but that is nothing I want to go too far into, that together with music is a lot more than I dare to write down, it has probably been two thirds of my entire life, with the last one being an interest in cultures, politics and language, and to some extent computers.

I'm native of sweden, but often find myself thinking in english. Both me and and one of my two brothers (the younger one) often preferred to speak english throughout the years especially to eachother, because of a general dislike of swedish and how things spoken in swedish come across.

I am 18, whatever that matters, My hair is very dark brown, I have always had terrible grades in everything but the arts and language. I barely know the answer to 2+2

That's all I think there is to know about me. My personality, my morals and principes, and whatnot, would have to come up in a face to face discussion.

That was an interesting, introspective description of one's self :)

I'm Simon

I'm 17, still finishing year 12 at school, play guitar a little, sing for various events, like general graphics design, currently working towards a cert 3 in 3d animation, plan on doing a 2 year bachelors degree in 3d animation at Quantm for the next 2 years, then plan on working at 2k australia, where i know the producer Jake Drobowiecki (my effort to put my foot in the door :P).

So HOPEFULLY, I'll be one of the artists working on something like bioshock 4 :D \o/

18588.png

Two things strike me about this post: 1) we are generally a well educated bunch; 2) we all sound like we are introducing ourselves at AA.

Here goes:

I'm Bambini and I've 15 hours without a drink. I am a 27 year old assistant clinical psychologist working in a medium-secure unit and I an currently trying to get on the training course to become a doctor, but can't because of intense competition. I am married, I have a dog and I am currently trying to make with world's largest ball of sellotape. I like hiking, music (like Tudor I have quite niche tastes), films and gaming. I like to think of myself as a bit of a bohemian hippie type, but I'm probably more of a liberal cliche instead. I would be working on a TDM mission but my PC is currently misbehaving.

Edited by bambini

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

then plan on working at 2k australia, where i know the producer Jake Drobowiecki (my effort to put my foot in the door :P).

LOL, now there's a familiar name. My cubicle is adjacent to Jake's. :D

Good luck! Study hard, build up a great portfolio, and practice practice practice!

BTW, it's called "the Canberra, Australia arm of 2K Marin" now, get with the program. ;)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Crispy: so does this mean your work on TDM landed you a job in 2k? Cool! B)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well you seem to have some quite good tastes, from what I can see.

I like to think so. My wife calls me a "music snob" :)

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

I'm Raymond from the Netherlands, 24 years old and finished my bachelor in marketing and sales. I've been working at a gym as a fitness instructor for 9 years and at a marketing department of a monitoring software company for 8 months. I've been doing judo for 10 years (brown belt) and do quite a bit of fitness (suprise!). Apart from that I like to watch movies and play games (not only computer). I've got almost no experience at all in creating mods/fms, my mission for the christmas contest was my first try. I also like to travel quite a bit. I studied at the University of Oklahoma for a semester (go sooners!!) and did my internship in the UK for 5 months. At the moment I'm backpacking in New Zealand and Australia.

You travel a lot! now THAT is a good hobby :) I have never left my country.

I always wanted to meet/live in a really cold place. I like the winter here, it's nice, but the summer simply kills me! It's so hot I can't work or even relax (even sleeping becomes a challenge)

I'm Raymond from the Netherlands, 24 years old and finished my bachelor in marketing and sales. I've been working at a gym as a fitness instructor for 9 years and at a marketing department of a monitoring software company for 8 months. I've been doing judo for 10 years (brown belt) and do quite a bit of fitness (suprise!). Apart from that I like to watch movies and play games (not only computer). I've got almost no experience at all in creating mods/fms, my mission for the christmas contest was my first try. I also like to travel quite a bit. I studied at the University of Oklahoma for a semester (go sooners!!) and did my internship in the UK for 5 months. At the moment I'm backpacking in New Zealand and Australia.

Be sure to try and check out Jenolan Caves in the blue mountains in Australia, their incredible! :P

18588.png

You travel a lot! now THAT is a good hobby smile.gif I have never left my country.

I always wanted to meet/live in a really cold place. I like the winter here, it's nice, but the summer simply kills me! It's so hot I can't work or even relax (even sleeping becomes a challenge)

If you get the chance you really should. It's so great to discover the amazing things that are in every country.

@ Mr Lemony Fresh: I've already been to the Blue Mountains but didn't go to the caves. Didn't even hear of them otherwise I probably would have went there. I did some caving in New Zealand though wink.gif. Apparently there's a bush fire in the Blue Mountains at the moment.

Edited by Carnage

If you get the chance you really should. It's so great to discover the amazing things that are in every country.

@ Mr Lemony Fresh: I've already been to the Blue Mountains but didn't go to the caves. Didn't even hear of them otherwise I probably would have went there. I did some caving in New Zealand though wink.gif. Apparently there's a bush fire in the Blue Mountains at the moment.

Oh what a pity, those caves a truly awe inspiring :(

Have fun in newzealand though :P that should be fun

18588.png

Well, I'm not sure I could write a reference for someone I don't know... :)

Crispy: so does this mean your work on TDM landed you a job in 2k? Cool! B)

Couldn't say, but it certainly didn't hurt. :)

You're working in cubicles? Like those in Dilbert?

Yep. It's pretty common. My second choice of employer actually had a fully open-plan office; like cubicles, but without the dividing partitions.

I don't mind it; makes it easier to talk to people, and I'm up in a corner surrounded by partitions, so there's sufficient privacy for my liking.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well, I'm not sure I could write a reference for someone I don't know... :)

:D no problem, I have 2 and a half years to be known :P that bachelors degree will take 2 years, and in that time I'm going to try and blow your socks off with 3d modelling and concept art ;)

Hope you'll have time to play the fan missions :D

EDIT: :mellow: (sits and watches the screen)

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a 39 year old dude with Asperger Syndrom... There is only one kind of medicine I'm willing to take for it, but it's hard to get a prescription in most places :) I am currently a self-employed computer technician contractor. I previously spent over 21 years cooking in commercial kitchens and graduated from culinary school in the early 90's. I am an arugula eater and f*king proud of it... latte's are good too. I am heterosexual but am not homophobic.

Northern coastal California is my home (Emerald Triangle), but I am currently residing in Hell (aka Texas) until I get my s*!t together (finances) so I can return home. An open-minded son of Mother Earth who does not fully qualify as a 'hippie' (animals taste good and I don't attend protest marches).

I generally like most people, with a few exceptions. I hate closed-minded, conservative, 'right-wingers' who want a return to theocracy.

I have a strong dislike for organized religions. However, I do respect other's beliefs, as long as they don't try to force their beliefs upon me.

I have a general hatred for stupid people (ie. people who are of 'normal' intelligence, but behave like 'tards'). OK, that's enough hate for today :)

My 6th grade teacher (1981 or so) had four Tandy TRS-80 computers in his classroom and he taught his whole class Tandy Basic, CLOAD from cassette and DLOAD from floppy. No further computer contact was made for 11 years until I bought a 386-SX 16MHz PC... computer addicted since that time.

Most music is enjoyable to me except 'pop' and twangy 'achy-breaky' country. Though I like computers, I can't stand music which relies on computers for beat and rhythm. Auto-tuning is for talentless idiots.

Enough... lol. I could write a novel about my likes and dislikes.

Edit: typo... 39, not 37. LOL caught myself trying to shave off a couple years.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8