The Dark Mod Forums

Anyone want to join me?

Mr Lemony Fresh

Hey everyone. Last holidays (NSW) i began to try making a fan mission for the dark mod. I got a mapper who spent 2 weeks 'supposedly' mapping and didn't produce anything :( I only asked him to make the basic geometry that could be accomplished with a 16 pt grid restriction, he also insisted in using QuArK which might have meant issues down the track causes by QuArK slightly flawed exporter. But it would have made a big difference at any rate!

Well, he's doing something else now, and I tried mapping with dark radiant the other day. It took me hours to get the water working how I like! I got it working then realised that it's going to make the creation of my map alot harder! :( can't overlap water brushes with other brushes, or else they disappear. And that means the water surface on my map is going to need a lot of faces.

So you get the general idea, it's going to take me a while to learn how to map, but the problem is i don't have much time. The reason i bring this all up if i don't have time for learning to map is, i might just barely have time to model all the extra bits and pieces, add some new textures, write the story and design the scenes, which is still a decent share. I'd save it till the next holidays, but with an attention span like mine, i need to take ever instance of enthusiasm and use it to my advantage!

Here's the concept art for the first part of the map. (see attached) All my concept art took about 5-6 days

EDIT: Oh yeah, i almost forgot, if you'd like to know about the story, send me an PM. I'd just rather not go flapping my mouth about it since it'd ruin plot twists for the majority of people.

EDIT: Hey everyone, Mortem desino wasn't able to help, but I really need help from someone. I told my teacher that I would help make a darkmod mission for my final project for my cert 3 3d animation course. I'm currently very much tangled in school work and will probably not get to do anything substantial until after my HSC exams are over, so I really need some considerate people to do the mapping for me so I can concentrate on making models textures and animations to show what I've learnt in the course. I've already designed the scenes (apart from the house on the island, might need help designing that) any work I need doing by someone else is the part of building the maps and applying textures.

I would be very grateful if someone would help, it would be fun, worthwhile, and would really help me.

post-3592-127209074508_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

Wow. You've really got something awesome in mind. If you catch me some time after April 29, I may be able to help you out: either mapping or technically.

I'll warn you ahead of time: the outside will be hellish to visportal, even with distance-closing func_portals.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I've been working on a similar map to your 'destination' - Its quite a lot of pain to visportal certain areas, but if you can seperate the lower areas from the upper using something like skyportals you can do it quite nicely and performance isnt too bad.

However since my map is about 40% done and is slowly getting trickled into existence I dont think I'll jump ship. But yeah, I'd try just soldier on with mapping and ask loads of questions here - at least you wont have the project forgotten that way :)

@ Mortem Desino

Yeh man, sure my email is mrlemonyfresh@gmail.com, if your ready just send a message :P

Oh wow! nice job swordbreaker, I'm sure it'd help to have at least a little mapping help :P

@ Serpentine

I kinda had deus ex in mind when i was thinking about the water, (like the boarwalk area in the first level ) it's probably easier just to let the water fade to complete darkness. When i saw they way they blended it in with the background, i thought it diddn't look too bad, sure the background city looked a little dated (apart from the lack of 2 certain twin buildings ;P) but it looked alright.

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

• 1 month later...

well im a good chunk of the way into my context map, so if all you need is some very basic geometry i can knock them up for you in DR. but, I will lots of pictures etc ans this will significantly speed up the process. When is your deadline or should I ask when do you need a me me to get something to you..?

Drop me a pm.

Edited by Bikerdude

well im a good chunk of the way into my context map, so if all you need is some very basic geometry i can knock them up for you in DR. but, I will lots of pictures etc ans this will significantly speed up the process. When is your deadline or should I ask when do you need a me me to get something to you..?

Drop me a pm.

Thanks for offering Bikerdude! I'll ad you to my msn so i can fill you in on the details ok?

18588.png

Just so I can halt my panging guilt, I built for ye what I thought would be the most difficult piece of geometry and texture-alignment.

post-2515-127787151161_thumb.jpg

Here's the hanging body hut: fully visportaled (!). The builder in the window is there only to show scale.

I actually had to use CSG subtract for those 15-degree angular windows. All together now, everyone point at M.D. and shout disapprovingly: "WE FOUND A WITCH!"

babayaga.pfb.txt

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I like how the picture is called babayaga, but shouldn't it have chicken legs?

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

• 4 months later...