The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 2 - Life of the Party

LEGION

While I´m still waiting for my TTLG Forum access so I´m asking this here:

I tried the new Thief2skies-patch and looked at the Thief2-mission 'Life of the Party'. You know, the big rooftops-mission where you get to the Mecha-tower. Angelwatch, I always liked that name a lot. Ok, it seems there was in the original mission a fog-bug, means fog disappearing from the starting point. I saw some pop-up effects in the distance while walking away. But there is a fix (an old one) and one can fix this in the ddfix.ini (required for Thief2skies). So I tried both methods but it seems so wrong ´cause the fog/sky is so bright. I´ll add a screenshot that you see what I mean. Later in the level, as I deactivated the fog-fix it looked better, but the sky was still so bright. And with the fix there is fog even inside the buildings because the fix makes the fog to be everywhere.

What I wanted to ask: I think in the original it was no bug. I think they wanted to start the mission early in the evening, and when you get on it get´s darker! But for the sky it´s not working, it is always so damn bright. Only if I deactivate the fog it looks right, look at the third screenshot.

And this bright fog, is it meant to simulate industrial smog? What do you think?

post-3744-127256656006_thumb.jpg

post-3744-12725665613_thumb.jpg

post-3744-127256656221_thumb.jpg

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Garrett does make a reference to "early morning mist" somewhere at the start, so it's probably that. Your shots are unnaturally bright; there sould be abundant light by default but not that much. Unfortunately, the further we are getting from early 2000s hardware, the more unreliable Thief is becoming. :( I can still play the games on my laptop but not my main PC, even though I am still using XP.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

According to the light gem it really is very bright everywhere. But I had no problems with gameplay, though I´m using an improved Difficulty for Guard-awareness. And the fixes I tried just did something to the fog and sky settings. It´s this damn fog, without fog it really looks good. I can´t remember the mist-comment, I look into it again...

woah: Well, I´m not sure why you can´t run the old Thief´s but you should try the ddfix-update (included in Tafferpatcher, but there is not the newest, though), with this both Thief´s run on newer systems just fine. This here is the first issue I saw. But I had never crashes or something like that...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more