The Dark Mod Forums

How DarkMod installs FM´s

LEGION

I don´t understand why DarkMod is copying the missions in the Doom3-folder and not instead moving them! And if a mission got uninstalled the mission is still in the Doom3-folder!

As the number of FM´s grow, so does the size on my Harddisk in double!

Example: As I was now betatesting GC´s new Campaign I got all together 800 MB for the three missions. The missions itself in the DarkMod-folder count 200 MB! This all is copied to the Doom3-folder and then 2 Savegames (a 86 MB or so) added. So all in all I had 800 MB for three missions!

But I can delete the missions in the Doom3-folder myself without causing trouble, right? I mean I want to save the save-games, but that is not necessary. What about DarkMod doing this itself?

I just wanted you guys to know but I´m sure you´re already aware of this HardDisk-eating method.;)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

But I can delete the missions in the Doom3-folder myself without causing trouble, right?

Absolutely.

It's done this way so that your FM is kept safe and the original cannot accidentally become corrupt if you're tinkering around in DR, or tweaking other assets of the FM.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I agree [it's unnecessary duplication] and I tried to persuade the team some time ago without success.

The active pk4 is the one in the game folder(s) eg, doom3\mapname so leave that. You might delete the pk4 (only) in the darkmod\fms\mapname folder(s). Don't delete the other files like darkmod.txt etc. as they are needed to display in the New Missions menu.

Ah, very good. This way I only have to delete the file once. Though one has to make sure to first install new missions.

And I made myself a folder in the DarkMod/fms folder like '0_non-active FMs' where I place missions I don´t want to appear on the ingame Missions-list. I guess other players would appreciate this. (You only need to move the Mapname-folders in the 'fms'-folder. The ones in Doom3\ can be left alone)

It would be cool if DarkMod would do this itself, like a managing FM-system. And for the duplicate-thing I suggest some sort of developer-mode for the DarkMod in which the missions are left in the fms-folder, but in normal Player-mode they get deleted. But this would be something for the future, not important now because this can easily done by the players themselves, if they know what to do.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

sorry for asking this again, but I'm a little confused as Fidcal and Mortem Desino seem to contradict each other.

Which .pk4 file can be deleted safely without affecting the ability to still play the mission?

A. C:\DOOM3\mapname\mapname.pk4

B. C:\DOOM3\darkmod\fms\mapname\mapname.pk4

What about C:\DOOM3\mapname\gamex86.dll? It's 4 MB each and already in the C:\DOOM3\darkmod\ -folder.

And a final question, please, 

is it possible to rename a .pk4 file before installing it. I have some "ugly" folder names like 2490_chalice and would like

to name it e. g. "The Chalice of Kings.pk4", or at least "chalice.pk4", if capitals and spaces aren't allowed. 

Thank you!

Which .pk4 file can be deleted safely without affecting the ability to still play the mission?

A. C:\DOOM3\mapname\mapname.pk4

B. C:\DOOM3\darkmod\fms\mapname\mapname.pk4

You can delete B. without any problems really, try moving one and then installing/uninstalling etc that mission - pretty sure so long as its been installed once to a path like A. it should be fine.

What about C:\DOOM3\mapname\gamex86.dll? It's 4 MB each and already in the C:\DOOM3\darkmod\ -folder.

You can, however every time that map is played it will be recreated :)

is it possible to rename a .pk4 file before installing it. I have some "ugly" folder names like 2490_chalice and would like

to name it e. g. "The Chalice of Kings.pk4", or at least "chalice.pk4", if capitals and spaces aren't allowed. 

Sure, it's mostly just something that happens with the file hosting sites, renaming it is more than fine! (However try keep to lowercase/no spaces, doom3 does like to bitch about non portable file paths, tho I don't think it makes a difference, it's sort of the convention used around these parts.)