The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: No Honor Among Thieves (2010/04/29)

Goldchocobo

First I must say how much I love these missions. Always looking for new ones, thanks everyone for all your hard work. wub.gif

I've been reading about people having save game crash issues in the 2nd mission (Night Out On The Town) and have been having the same trouble myself.

The first crash happened, while playing, when I tried to load a quicksave game. Stopped using that and went to named save and it started crashing upon loading previous save. When restarting the game itself the save game would work but not loading a save from within the game itself. Tried deleting saves, uninstalling and reinstalling the mission and the problem is still there.

What happens is the screen freezes when loading the save with a faint outline of the load/save screen showing. I then have to use ctrl + alt +del and use task manager to quit the game. The following messages appear: #1) Doom 3 has stopped working - Close Program and #2) The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic. - A running program isn't compatible with certain visual elements of Windows

Also tried running the TDM update just in case to no avail. If it helps I am running Vista 64 bit and my computer specs are: Q9650 CPU @3.8GHz with 8 gigabytes of RAM and a 9800GX2 GFX card.

I've not had this issue with any of the fan missions including the 1st and 3rd missions of this campaign.

Again thanks for all your hard work!cool.gif

May I ask what SVN is?

SVN = "Subversion", a software developer's tool which provides a means for programmers to distribute software code which is still under development. In the open source software community, it is often used by beta testers and developers to receive the latest version of the software to be compiled and tested. Often, open source software has both stable (release version) and SVN (alpha/beta) versions of code available.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Ah, I could finally find the root of the problem with "idPVS::FreeCurrentPVS: invalid handle". I'll have to think about a bugfix, but I'm pretty sure I can find one. :)

Great news! :-)

It's there any workaround waiting the fix, to avoid this error?

I have this specific error on Linux, in the middle (i presume i'm in the middle) of the mission 1 (GREAT mission!), with the undeads. If i save/reload also with old savegames, the problem persist :-(

idPVS::FreeCurrentPVS: invalid handle

Edited by Ladro

Finished!

First and foremost, I say these are the most beautiful missions yet. There has been some excellent work in other missions, but over all, and over a lot these were lush, luscious and, I think, used heaps of great textures and models...

Those green stones, those stained woods, stained glasses, those detailed ceramics, those... on-and-on-and-on... almost everything was enough to inspire me to hit F12 (screenshot)!

Just excellent!

For me, the story was excellent too, but I personally could have used a lot more readables. It's an individual preference, I know. Some don't like them so much, and, so probably best to keep it "underwhelming" (<-not meant in a negative way) in that respect. In the same vein I don't like shall we say "horror" elements and was happy to not have an overwhelming amount of that! Just a taste or more if you want...

So nice balance!

A couple of notes to add to the "problems" I documented in my last post:

It seemed as if I was missing the first line of each briefing text as it flashed something on screen and then went to what I assume was the next bit of text. This happened on each mission. Did others experience this?

I was thinking I would have a little fun with the zombies at the end, and wanted to sic them on the guards hunting "murderous" me in the forest... so I awakened them; they pursued me; I ran to one of the giant stones and climbed up it, foiling those miserable undead bastards but still getting them to gather 'round; I then set off a noisemaker (I used a noisemaker! and fucked with zombies! two very rarities for me!)... but alas no carnage betwixt the guards and zombies.

I imagine they could be on different "teams", though? Right? Just not this time?

Anyway thanks so much, I think you all did a really great job showing off the best aspects of TDM.

Beautiful gorgeous weird wild wacky fun stuff! :ph34r:

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Mission 2:

A hint on where the food might be to fedd poor old harry, please.

Any food should do. I got an objective complete by giving him an apple I stole off the table in the Broken Broadsword Inn.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Elkston,

Yasser. (Yes, sir)

OK, thanks. Finished now.

One quick comment: It would be nice if undead were scripted to attack the nearest human instead of locking onto me and giving chase while ignoring guards who are literally right beside them. I tried to create some chaos by luring the undead to the guards, but the outcome was not as I expected: everyone chased me instead (and only when I became "unreachable" did they give up and start fighting amongst themselves).

That being said, I must say the zombies look great and truly are "scary". They move faster and hit harder.

How do I open the door in the alley behind poor old harry in mission 2 ?

The key is carried by a civilian strolling through that same general area.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hi, i managed to finish the second mission :) i say 'managed' because I had to play the second half of time I played without saving :(

You should be proud with such a cool campaign, but i hate the fact that I can't fully enjoy it because of the mod's save issues :(

I remember someone mentioning that saving problems could be a hardware issue. It's not the video card, because I've played using a geforce 8800 gt and a saphire 5850 vapor-x and the problem remains the same. It's not the os though either, i've played the game on windows xp pro and on windows 7 pro, no save/load difference.

plus there were many other differences with the 2 computers i played it on, so I bet it's purely a problem with the mod.

Please fix! that'd be much appreciated dark mod team :D

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

Is this 'invalid handle'-thing related to the Reload-crash? (no matter which OS I hope)

Yes, it is. The crash was happening during the stack-unwind, which shouldn't crash either, but the PVS handle issue has been solved. At least as far as I tested it myself, we don't have a large test group.

Yes, it is. The crash was happening during the stack-unwind, which shouldn't crash either, but the PVS handle issue has been solved. At least as far as I tested it myself, we don't have a large test group.

I'm still confused. Just to clarify, this is the problem that's been causing all the quickload crashes?

I'm still confused. Just to clarify, this is the problem that's been causing all the quickload crashes?

Yes, at least that's the crash I could reproduce and fix. The savegame load causes a call to MapShutdown(), which destroys all existing entities, which in turn issues calls to idPVS::FreeCurrentPVS (but only in cases if AI had been in searching mode before and/or the player saved a game when AI were still searching).

It's of course possible that there is another bug somewhere causing crashes, but I'm positive that most of the problems people were experiencing are resolved with this bug.

Mission 2:

A hint on where the food might be to fedd poor old harry, please.

Any food should do. I got an objective complete by giving him an apple I stole off the table in the Broken Broadsword Inn.

I gave him an apple, too.

Edited by id3839315

the crash only seams to happen if you use the quicksave, if you just use normal save it doesn't crash as far as I know.

So I'll try with standard savegame :-)

Thanks for this workaround! ;)

That makes sense and why I and many others don't have these crashes. I tend to ghost so if I have an alert I usually consider I have failed and do a quickLOAD. I won't normally ever quickSAVE while an alert is going on. I tend to find a safe dark corner before I save.

That makes sense and why I and many others don't have these crashes. I tend to ghost so if I have an alert I usually consider I have failed and do a quickLOAD. I won't normally ever quickSAVE while an alert is going on. I tend to find a safe dark corner before I save.

Odd, because I was ghosting too, haven't been discovered once and my game still crashed when I tried to quickload :o. It was only on my 2nd time playing ANOOTT that I blackjacked one of the thieves for convenience sake.

Edited by bad marine ass

Tried the second mission again, Night Out on the Town, on a different PC running Win7 64bit, it has a GTX295 GFX card and an i7 920 CPU. After the introductory video I click on "Easy" then on "Start this Mission" a message pops up which says:

Game Error

Couldn't spawn 'ATDM:PROP_LOOTBAG' TO ATTACH TO ENTITY 'ATDM_AI_CITYWATCH_1'

That is as far as I get, it let's me exit the game is all.

Edited by Thiefette