The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: No Honor Among Thieves (2010/04/29)

Goldchocobo

I dont intend to be a negative poster and please don't flame me..but I am very frustrated with the first part of the first mission. I understand I need to cross the pit of zombies to get a key - that I needed to cross there was obvious and I've been trying for some time but can't make any of the jumps save the first one.

I'm sorry but Mario-esque games arent what i want in my thief games. Now Im a long time thief fan and get the rooftop jump thing, but hey Emil is a really good personal friend of mine and even the most hardcore of the thief team did all they could to avoid "platforming" sequences. I am just frustrated at what seems to be a great mission marred by a design choice that is so peculiar...

trying mission 2 and 3 with the hopes the plumber sequences are absent.

Yeah, I can agree. It's a bit action-sequencey... and I fucking hate zombies as well so it really might've frustrated the hell out of me.

But, it's not endless, it's a short bit, and, honestly, it demonstrates how fluid the jumping and mantling bits or TDM can be. Keep trying. Just take your time lining things up (eg. hug the walls where you can to move to the best vantage) and then "zen" the actual jumps (i.e. go about it as if its going to work -- "visualize").

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I love a little climbing and jumping, so I am really looking forward to the vertical FM contest.

That little jump was really no big deal, I think. But if you're so frustrated, you can always use noclip to fly over that neat little death pit... :)

I love a little climbing and jumping, so I am really looking forward to the vertical FM contest.

ohhhh yeah. I'm thinking about entering, and if I do, its going to be some sort of big (albeit thin) ruin, and I'm going to "Uncharted" the evah living crap out of it.

Clearly, jumping is unrealistic. I've never seen it happen, nor have I myself ever jumped in real life. ;)

In all seriousness though, I don't see anything remotely marioesque about the small area the player has to jump in this mission...and as Komag said, there is a ledge...it's not hop scotch by any stretch of the imagination.

Clearly, jumping is unrealistic. I've never seen it happen, nor have I myself ever jumped in real life. ;)

In all seriousness though, I don't see anything remotely marioesque about the small area the player has to jump in this mission...and as Komag said, there is a ledge...it's not hop scotch by any stretch of the imagination.

Well you can't please everyone, it was an incredible map and I personally enjoyed the jumping even though I fell into the pit about 8 times lol.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished the 1st mission (took longer than it should have because of savegame-related crashes). Very nice, I'm looking forward to the second and third ones.

A few issues I'd like to point out:

- Right at the beginning I looked up and slightly forward and saw a black cube hovering in the air, approximately in the height of the roof ledges.

- The first subterranean pocket where you come up for air is really annoying, because you have to fight the current and end up stuck 2 times out of 3 and have to reload.

- The second, smaller pocket had some problems for me, namely I accidentally and easily managed to "escape" from the level's geometry via a glitch.

- There's a guard in a corner of the courtyard (the one that stays in one place instead of patrolling. Is he supposed to be completely immune to the blackjack? I've tried knocking him out numerous times with perfect positioning, and it never worked. If he is immune, I'll have to chalk that up as a bad design decision. It's all right to have immune entities, but then there should be some indication of that (like the two guards on the street with their metal helmets). Making an immune AI who looks exactly the same as all the others is just a dickish move, and not in a "lovable, funny dick" kind of way, either.

- In the room with the fountain, two of the stone posts of the railings (on the higher level) don't reach all the way down.

- There's a turn in the tunnel leading to the prison which is really brightly lit. I guess it's there because of the luminous mushrooms in the area, but the light level strikes me as way too strong for that.

And a question: a readable mentions a stash of loot in the

graveyard

. I can't find it, no matter how hard I look. Could someone spoil me its exact location, please?

I haven't actually played through NHAT 1/3 since the development beta, but there shouldn't be any blackjack-immune guards set up. If you're looking for "perfect positioning", blackjacking is all done in real-time by real physics collision checks in an arc. My motif is to aim for the head, and then a bit higher. In thief, I recall bj'ing guards in their thighs ;).

If you're looking for missing loot, you can use TDM's answer to Deadly Shadow loot glint: "tdm_show_loot" console cmd.

Glad to hear you like it so far. :)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Just finished up the missions and figured I'd chime in and show my appreciation for your work.

There were certainly spots where my computer choked a bit (too bad we can't have multi-core support) but I found the missions overwhelmingly enjoyable. Prison sequence in mission 1 was my favorite, for sure (Very reminiscent of TDP). And I loved the opening briefings along with the occasional voiceovers throughout the mission, EVERY mission should have that.

Thanks again, hoping to see more from you in the future.

Edited by Antignition

@ Premier: most of the things you pointed at were found during the Betatesting but couldn´t be solved. But I´m sure that there will be a future version with even maybe improvements in performance, but this will only make sense on future DarkMod versions, I guess.

As for the loot in the yard, I don´t remember anything there.

But if it´s a note you´re relating to, you should have a look at the rafters in the Dining room...

Note to myself: I can´t believe that I still haven´t played this gem since the Beta. It was so much fun and for sure the best I played so far. The forest in mission 3 was so beautiful...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I suppose I'm the only one who has been searching for hours for the exit on mission 2? I have completed all necessary objectives...

...and also jewelbox, blacksmith, guards and smugglers.

But now after going and doing the main objective, I just can't find the way out of town. I don't remember what my character said about it either, but what I read in the objectives menu clearly isn't foolproof enough for me. Red is north on the compass, right?

Thank you so much!

I tried to go there in the beginning of the map, and then I figured "oh well it's probably for the aesthetics of me somehow reaching this part of town" But now it makes even more sense for it to be there, thanks yet again!

Very very well made map, quite slow in areas with many torches, such as the pub, but still very nice.

Okay I completed the third part, and with a certain trick it wasn't very hard at all to dodge the guards. But still a very nice mission, This whole campaign was absolutely brilliant.

everybody probably knows this about The Dark Mod, but still

If you shoot an arrow into a door near where the hinges would be, the tip of the arrow will stick through and either the tip or the shaft of the arrow will block the turning of the door, and once the AI can't open a door, he will most likely stand there trying forever, and thus, you have a door no-one will suddenly burst through, and also a guard who doesn't patrol any more. If you want him to resume his patrol you just remove the arrow again, can be done from either side of the door. I've used this trick a bit to make quick escapes lately, it works very well as it completely locks the doors.

Edited by Tudor

The tip would be hard to break if it's just about through the door, on the other hand it probably wouldn't block it completely, unless you hit really close to the wall.

I would actually rather see the AI tkae some initiative and perhaps skip going through doors they clearly can't go through.

How are things with locked doors by the way? I've only ever locked doors with keys jabbed from lords, to later have them fully able to walk through them using their Magic Touch.

Having alot of fun in this one. Mission 1/3

No real issues so far, but I don't recal any hints and can't find

The tower office key - that's one tall ass tower btw :)

And I think I've been everywhere but haven't seen the generator room. Hint on where it is would be nice too, don't really want to search the entire place top to bottom again for that.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Wow, really fun series. You put alot of work into it shows.

I think mission two was my favorite, such a great city to roam. Of course the shapel in the first map was awesom too.

You're really good at stashing loot. I thought I had covered everything pretty well but came up short in all missions. Finished all the objective though.

Are you done with your next yet?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Wow, really fun series. You put alot of work into it shows.

I think mission two was my favorite, such a great city to roam. Of course the shapel in the first map was awesom too.

You're really good at stashing loot. I thought I had covered everything pretty well but came up short in all missions. Finished all the objective though.

Are you done with your next yet?

Not sure... Im buried alive in work at the moment, and I've been getting many requests to join some certain mapping teams. I'm only one man... just not sure :S

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished part one. That was an amazing mission that was very Thiefy and shows off the Dark Mod very well.

I only see NHAT 1/3 in my mission list. Can someone tell me what I need to do to install forest and anoott? I'm running XP service pack 3.

Thanks,

-DS:12

--- Author of:

Tomb of Horrors (coming January 2011)