The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: No Honor Among Thieves (2010/04/29)

Goldchocobo

@LEGION: I'm an ambiance addict too. There are some darn good ambient sounds in this mod... both voices and music.

I think the mission in this campaign with the best ambiance was the first one.

(SPOILER ahead)

I was very immersed near the courtyard just before you enter the main halls of the church. The wind sounds... the darkness... the amount of guards... it was great!

I also love the music that plays in the church, called gregorian03_loop.ogg

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Oh yes, the first mission is really special, I must´ve played it now nearly six times. I also loved to see some AI´s walking long routes, following and observing them while listening to the ambiance, hah, I could do this for hours :wub: , but most of the time I got the two guards before the church-doubledoor blocked, except this I can´t complain about anything.

Also the forest-area from the third mission is just amazing. Hence getting into the complete silent mansion gives a big break, sadly. :(

You inspired me to listen to the soundtrack this second, there are so nice tracks, in this moment iTunes chose 'basement01_loop', I´ll definitely use that track in my future FM (hereby secretly announced, hah!). :)

Lest Sotha´s request won´t be forgotten: Yes, that drunk men sounds were very well made (is that the sound-file in question?).

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 3 weeks later...
Was so great to have AI´s everywhere. But I´m exactly 100 loot missing. Can´t find anymore, hints please!!!

The loot list for the first mission is now ready.

The 100 you're missing might be

50 for an Emerald in the spider cave,

and

another 50 from perhaps a purse, such as the one before you get to the water treatment station, or the one at the bottom of Carbenuer's wardrobe.

The lists for the other two missions will be completed shortly.

Edited by pmw57

City Watch:

Look up.

Can´t remember the letter, sorry. But if it is the one I think about it´s nothing important in it, just

correspondence with an early found letter (at the hotel) about the thieves getting pressure from the CityWatch.

The Bareson letter is associated with some kind of treasure map image, which seems to be a mistake from some other development.

Here's what Captain Lenny said in that missing letter to Bareson:

Bareson,

Don't screw this up. I know the Citywatch is getting weary - I'm pretty sure they are onto your little hidie hole. Pack up and leave, we'll take our cache elsewhere.

Regards,

Captian Lenny

Can anyone advise on easy ways to patch this? The best option of all is to update all of the existing internet resources so that we can download a fixed version of the mission.

Next best could be to provide instructions so that we can update our own mission ourself.

Yeah, it was your first spoiler and sth else, in the meantime I found all of it, so all your work was in vain! :P Just kidding, every mission so far got sth I didn´t found, so I´m very glad about what you´re doing! :)

Well the loot list is now updated to include the second mission. Those devs have a really stinking sense of humor to

hide an emerald in the water like that, on both the 1st and 2nd missions!.

Edited by pmw57

Can you tell me about....

In the second mission, there is a warehouse with a bunch of boxes, I was able to get to a box on the left side which cannot be lockpicked and I cannot locate the key. Any idea or hint where this key might be? Thanks.

In case you missed out on putting this together,

next to the pub entrance is a high up window that you can get up to. Once in you find paperwork and a key relating to the box that you found on the left of the warehouse.

Edited by pmw57

every mission so far got sth I didn´t found, so I´m very glad about what you´re doing! :)

You're going to love Mission 3 then, because

one of the loot items is freakin' invisible!

The guard who goes up and down the library hallway is wearing an invisible purse! Either that or it's carefully sequestered within his robes somewhere, which I really do not wish to contemplate.

Oh yes, and the loot list is now complete for all three missions.

Edited by pmw57

• 2 weeks later...

What an incredible work. Almost better than the original! Though a problem was that after 2 hours of quicksaving I had the save bug and had to start the first mission from scratch. Learned from that and do manual saving now and keep each save.

Just almost finished the first mission and I hate to be a noob to ask, but:

One letter says the guy hid something in the rafter, I seem not to find a way to a rafter :(

And the exit by the generator room, is it that metal hatch in the ground?

Thank you guys for the blast, if Thief 4 by Eidos will come even slightly near such gameplay, we all will be saved.

Edited by Psychomorph

Hi!

I'm stuck on the 3rd mission.

I don't know how to enter the Lord Cloist room or the captain's room. I think I pretty much cleared the mansion otherwise, but I don't know where to find a key to these two doors.

EDIT: Ah nevermind, found it. Great missions, btw.

Edited by Malleus

• 3 months later...

First map ive played on this and allready im stuck and not seeing how it is even poss to do it. Got a pit in front of me with like 6 undead in it not even close to enough water arrows to kill them of and can not jump over it either ???. i need fan mission that make sense this dont.

First map ive played on this and allready im stuck and not seeing how it is even poss to do it. Got a pit in front of me with like 6 undead in it not even close to enough water arrows to kill them of and can not jump over it either ???. i need fan mission that make sense this dont.

Haha I remembered my first time. When I felt into there I was paniced and tried to climb back hopelessly:)

you don't need to reach end of the corridor. Just jump carefully to

(probably on the right)

room to get the key

(probably on the floor)

Not a good mission to start with...there are much better ones, like Outpost, Too Late, or The Parcel, to get used to TDM.

However, you can get across the pit by

jumping from one door to the next and edging forward along the blocks that stick out from the wall. Or noclip if you get too frustrated.

I thought that the material shader for NHAT 3/3 Vertex Blended terrain was fixed for v1.04 but I have deleted and re-downloaded the mission to no avail. (When I delete it, the missions are not listed as available for download...) ???

I followed the Ambient Light Method wiki and revised the forest.mtr material as such:

textures/forest/dirt_sound
{
	surftype15
	description "dirt"
	qer_editorimage textures/common/clip.tga
	nonsolid
monsterclip
playerclip
noshadows
}

textures/forest/grass_dirt_blend
{
	surftype15
	description "grass"

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/nature/grass/thick_grass01_ed
	noSelfShadow

// TEXTURE SET 1
{
	blend bumpmap
	map 	textures/darkmod/nature/grass/thick_grass01_local
	VertexColor
}
{
	blend diffusemap
	map 	textures/darkmod/nature/grass/thick_grass01
	VertexColor
}

// TEXTURE SET 2
{
	blend bumpmap
	map 	textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dry_earth_stones_local
	inverseVertexColor
}
{
	blend diffusemap
	map 	textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dry_earth_stones
	inverseVertexColor
}

// TDM Ambient Method Related
{							
	if (global5 == 1)		
	blend add				
	map			textures/darkmod/nature/grass/thick_grass01 	// Diffuse A
	scale			1, 1		
	red			global2	
	green			global3	
	blue			global4	
	vertexColor				
}							
{							
	if (global5 == 1)		
	blend add				
	map			textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dry_earth_stones 	// Diffuse B
	scale			1, 1		
	red			global2	
	green			global3	
	blue			global4	
	inverseVertexColor		
}							
{							
	if (global5 == 2)		
	blend add				
	program	ambientEnvVertexBlend.vfp	
	vertexParm		0		1, 1, 1, 1	 	// UV Scales for Diffuse A and Bump A	resp.	
	vertexParm		1		1, 1, 1, 1	 	// UV Scale for specular A and Diffuse B resp.
	vertexParm		2		1, 1, 1, 1	 	// UV Scale for Bump B and specular B resp.	
	vertexParm		3		global2, global3, global4, 1	
	//----------- VertexColored -------------------			
	fragmentMap		0		cubeMap env/gen1				
	fragmentMap		1		textures/darkmod/nature/grass/thick_grass01_local // Bump A			
	fragmentMap		2		textures/darkmod/nature/grass/thick_grass01 // Diffuse A
	fragmentMap		3		_black // Specular A		
	//----------- InverseVertexColored ------------			
	fragmentMap		4		textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dry_earth_stones_local // Bump B		
	fragmentMap		5		textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dry_earth_stones // Diffuse B		
	fragmentMap		6		_black
}
}

Now I can set the "Simple" or "Enhanced" Ambient Light settings without having a black terrain to walk on. :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 1 month later...

Yeah nbor, I'm a bit confused - is it considered bugged or in need of more beta testing on the behalf of the author?

I'm downloading now! I can't believe how many good FMs there are, frankly.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Yeah nbor, I'm a bit confused - is it considered bugged or in need of more beta testing on the behalf of the author?

I'm downloading now! I can't believe how many good FMs there are, frankly.

Think @recruiting ALL TTLG mappers for TDM..... :P

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't get these missions to show up in the Available Missions list, even though I'm pretty sure there's no problem with the files. I downloaded the 144 meg Zip, unpacked it with no errors, put the files in the fms folder, and still nothing. The only thing that happens is that the game keeps saying "New missions available" every time I enter the New mission screen, and also every time I click Refresh List, but the 3 missions just aren't there.

I looked at the FAQ, checked out all the questions/responses I could find that people posted on similar issues, but none of the stuff I found applies to me. Is there anything else I can do here? My system is Win 7 64 bit, and everything else has worked perfectly with DM so far. thanks

Edit: well, now it looks like no matter what mission I put in the fms folder, it won't show up in the list, so this is a global problem and now I really have no clue what's happening. Sorry about bringing a technical issue in here, please ignore.

E#2: solution found: clear the Read-only attribute from the entire fms folder.

Edited by poronty

• 1 month later...

Just started the second mission and left the Traveller's Rest by the front door, turned right to the end and then left in the alley.

At which point I just can't move any further even though I can see that the alley continues with a right turn ahead - is this deliberate or has something gone adrift

To add - The first mission was absolutely great and I am looking forward to this one.

It was a good thing I saw this thread as I didn't realise that this mod existed

Edited by Oldjim