The Dark Mod Forums

Powerline ethernet adaptors?

jdude

Hey ya'l

Right now I'm using a 10 mbps powerline-ethernet adapter. It doesn't provide much bandwidth and it takes about 10x longer to load things than if your hooked directly up to a router. My parents are opposed to wireless because people can theoretically crack it even if it's secured so I need to find a powerline-ethernet adapter that performs better than my current 10 mbps one. (our modem and router operate at 100 mbps)

Here's what I'm using right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Iogear-POWERLINE-HOMEPLUG-MOUNT-GHPU21/dp/B0000AZJY6

I've read about some adapters being capped at 200 mbps but then I read that some of them only reach 52 or even 10. The higher end ones appear to reach prices around $130 so I'm very concerned about what to get.

I'd really like to have one that works at 100 mbps and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for one that works that fast?

If you have someone with the time and effort to break WPA2 AES, chances are they'd also know you're using mains networking and just tap it, at best your immediate neighbors could already sniff your network unless your power company is some kind of hero and isolates absolutely every house (which will most likely never happen).

I mean, I think the idea is great and all the rest - but since its known to be a bit weak on security in many places (and lets face it, its really not widespread) the reasoning sounds a bit odd... so if you're in the habit of making enemies or keeping extremely valuable information around :)

"By offering 56-bit DES encryption, it is also much secure than other home networking technologies such as wireless Ethernet."

LOL. 56-bit DES encryption is hardly secure. Back in the days of WEP this was probably true, but WPA2 is (believed to be) much more secure, if properly configured.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

"By offering 56-bit DES encryption, it is also much secure than other home networking technologies such as wireless Ethernet."

LOL. 56-bit DES encryption is hardly secure. Back in the days of WEP this was probably true, but WPA2 is (believed to be) much more secure, if properly configured.

Yeah, 56 bit DES is a joke. Wireless security (if you don't use WEP, but WPA or WPA2) is much better.

* the best is wired connectivity. Almost impossible to sniff (unless you get real close to the cable), (almost) nobody can interfere with it, is cheap, and provides speed up to 1000 Mbit (but your limitation is the line going out of the router to the internet, which is much less anyway. Disadvantage is you need to lay the cable, but you need to do this only once and if you plan ahead (lay a cable to every room, not only one) it proviedes a robust network for years/decades.

* Wireless is the next best choice, but has the disadvantage of being slower than cable, and is dependent on the fact that no-one else sends on the same spectrum. Since the frequencies are open for *everyone*, this is no guarantee, if all your neighbors set up a wireless router, you are screwed (it only takes 4 or 5 and the slots are all gone as you only have 3 good slots despite having 13 usable frequencies). Plus, amateur radio operators are licensed to send in the same frequencies with a lot more power than your router, and they can block your wireless and you can't even sue them :) Another disadvantage is that you need to secure it (use WPA2!), otherwise other people can use it on your behalf and cause problems. If you can live with not-100% guaranteed connection, it might be your way. Advantage is: no need to lay a cable (but you probably will regret not doing cable when the thing goes down and you don't know why), which is esp. nec for laptops (laptop on balcony, but network cable? ugh).

Side note: it is good manner to limit the power your wireless router sends if you need to cover only one room, no need to blast the entire block with your signal that nobody can use, anyway. Also, if you can, turning off the wireless when you don't need saves you power and the neighbors trouble. (my router turns it off between 0:05 and 7:00, unless a wireless device is still connected or I manually press the button on the router to turn it on. I reckong on 90% of all nights it is off at that time).

If everyone does this, the world gets a small bit better :)

* powerline is the worst choice, huge interference (which amateur radio operators hate) despite what the manufacturer claims, it might "spread" beyond your installation/house, and the speed is not big compared to the other two (as the router limits it to the internet, this might not be your concern, but try to share a file between two computers in your home and you will see why even the slower wireless would be better). Security is also, erm. usually absent.

Edit: For wireless technoligies there is also the fact to consider that how far you can listen-in to the signal is mainly limited by antenna size, not just by the sending power as one might think. E.g. even if you router sends with 10% of signal, someone with a huge active antenna can pick up the signal in the next city. Something to consider if you want a secure connection (and who doesn't want one when doing f.i. homebanking?)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

As far as I know (and have read in computer magazines), the powerline data connection reaches only until the next electricity meter. Beyond that, there is no connection possible. Since homes and houses usually have their own electricity meter, you can rest assured that no one can sniff out our network by just wardriving your neighbourhood. But I didn't dive into this matter enough to know which powerline adaptor is the best. 

A quick check on my favourite computer magazine's website revealed that the Devolo Dlan 200 AVmini offers a bandwidth of 200 MBit/s over up to 300 meters. It costs 60 Euros, and 110 Euros for a pair of them.  

The same bandwidth is offered by the =380199&cHash=81b76d6d78"]Allnet ALL168203. It costs 110 Euros.

The Levelone "Homeplug Pro Power Bridge" PLI-3310 offers AES encryption (128 Bit) and a "theoretical maximum of 200 MBit/s". It costs 150 Euros.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Unfortunately we have to use US-standard plugs though:

Us_Standard_Power_Supply_Cord_with_Csa_Ul_Approved_Canadian_Electrical_cable_SJOW_SOOW_SJTW.jpg

Otherwise I'd be interested in some of the Eurpoean ones.

The problem with wireless is this:

1) My parents and I have sensitive information on their computer. If someone were to connect to the network could they get into this information?

2) Currently we are in a house that has 2 floors but will be moving to a house with 3 floors in a month. I've found when I tested the wireless connection a long time ago within our house that the floors massively cut the connection to the floor above or below as do walls. We need high speed throughout.

3) Many people know of wireless connections but very few know about the power adapters imo. So the likelihood of my neighbors having using the same power-adapters is far less than them using a laptop/desktop with wifi capabilities. The probability vastly drops off when you consider that I'd be buying it over the internet.

4) My parents insist that I do not run cords throughout the house so running Ethernet cords is out.

So idealy I'm guessing a WPA2 encrypted 200 mbps power adapter would be best. I'll try and find one on the internet :)

1) My parents and I have sensitive information on their computer. If someone were to connect to the network could they get into this information?

If they manage to connect, and if you've shared the files out, then yes.

Note that this is true of all networking technologies. Wired Ethernet networks can still be physically tapped into (and usually aren't encrypted).

Best strategies for mitigation are:

1. Don't let people connect: Use WPA2 encryption and strong passwords to prevent attackers from connecting to your network in the first place. Follow all security advice in your wireless router's manual (if any).

2. Don't put sensitive files in folders which are shared over the network: Um, duh. :P An important corollary is don't share your entire hard drive!

3. Do keep all your computers up to date with security patches. On Windows, that means turning Windows Update on and letting it do its thing.

Casual attackers will have no hope of getting into a properly-secured network operated in this manner. Even serious attackers will find it difficult, and would probably opt for a different, easier method; like, say, breaking into your house and stealing your HDD. :P

2) Currently we are in a house that has 2 floors but will be moving to a house with 3 floors in a month. I've found when I tested the wireless connection a long time ago within our house that the floors massively cut the connection to the floor above or below as do walls. We need high speed throughout.

You can get wireless signal boosters to relay the signal to other floors. (Or even make them yourself, they're not very complicated.)

3) Many people know of wireless connections but very few know about the power adapters imo. So the likelihood of my neighbors having using the same power-adapters is far less than them using a laptop/desktop with wifi capabilities. The probability vastly drops off when you consider that I'd be buying it over the internet.

Obscurity is not security. ;)

4) My parents insist that I do not run cords throughout the house so running Ethernet cords is out.

That's a shame, as it's definitely the preferred option for desktops. You can't run cables through the walls? Bit more expensive to get them properly fitted, but very nice to have.

So idealy I'm guessing a WPA2 encrypted 200 mbps power adapter would be best. I'll try and find one on the internet :)

WPA2 is for wireless networks only, so good luck with that. :P Looks like most of these power adapters use either DES or AES. Prefer AES over any form of DES, and go for as many bits of encryption as you can get.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

AES was created specifically to put (discredited) DES behind us.

I cannot believe anyone is selling DES stuff. Very weird. But then chaos of the marketplace is always, well, demonstrating what a mess it is...

Yes, though, put it to you parents that simply. That the encryption being used with these adapters is far less secure than current ( XD ) standards used by WLANs; AND if there is any set of wires in the world that are exposed to more people than the power grid? You let me know...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696