The Dark Mod Forums

Things That Aren't Fun...

aidakeeley

Yes! It does work!

But.

Doh! You're right about the multiple pages.

And the problem with just how close you can pull things in. Works best on books, I guess, as they are usually larger and the text is less likely to be scribbled.

I think I'll use this feature whenever possible. Thanks.

The following spoiler is a question that applies to "Forest" FM 3 of the NHAT campaign:

Is this the mission that has what appears to be a blank note in the correspondence about the dead guy in the graveyard? And, if so, where is it? And, more specifically, is it not actually blank but written in some "invisible" ink that needs to be activated by water or backlighting or something?

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

To some extent you can, at least with page 1 and 'open books' etc. Select the readable in the inventory and press the drop control. The readable drops into the carry position where you can rotate it etc. You can't get it very close for reading though.

Well, this is the "Things That Aren't Fun" thread after all. -_-

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

as far as readables, i like the system as is, but i think maybe the lighting on the pages might be changed, such that if a readable is in the world, the page(s) show up at the same light level that hits the readable. If the readable is in the players inventory, it reads with the same light level that hits the player. that way if you are in a nearly pitch black environment, you cannot read a document with perfect clarity.

as far as readables, i like the system as is, but i think maybe the lighting on the pages might be changed, such that if a readable is in the world, the page(s) show up at the same light level that hits the readable. If the readable is in the players inventory, it reads with the same light level that hits the player. that way if you are in a nearly pitch black environment, you cannot read a document with perfect clarity.

Hmmm, I both love and hate this idea! biggrin.gif

On the one hand, a cruel FM designer could give the player a readable in a dark area and force them into the light where a guard could spot them, to read the clue and progress further (this is a potential positive tongue.gif).

On the other hand, how annoying would it be as the player to struggle to read text only to find it offers no useful information. And since this is the Dark Mod, you'll almost always be struggling to read in the dark rolleyes.gif.

Designers shouldn't make a game harder just for the sake of it, so while I like the idea of making the game more realistic, as this would, I don't think it is an improvement on the current system.

• Like 1

as far as readables, i like the system as is, but i think maybe the lighting on the pages might be changed, such that if a readable is in the world, the page(s) show up at the same light level that hits the readable.

Midnight summed it up rather well.

I was the one who proposed the real-time reading in the first place, but I don't think I ever went so far as to push realistic lighting...that basically forces the player to choose between reading a readable and risking getting caught. Might be appropriate for some kind of hard-core experience, but not generally.

RIP : My eyesight.

I think its one of those "this would be cool, but once I implemented it it was kinda... meh", seeing as it would be tricky to use in a way which enhances gameplay most of the time it would just be distracting if not annoying and adds nothing uniform to "good gameplay".

• 2 weeks later...

When I´m reading a book in darkness I´m telling myself that I use the lantern to lit up the book. (like holding the book in front of my belt and moving the towel over the lantern just a little) Because of this I would like a flicker-effect above the 'activated' book. Ah, ok, that depends on if the lantern is a starting item or not...

But this would add more danger/tension to reading, but you can choose the location for reading and getting lit up yourself. Hmm, I would like this really much. This could be an difficult-option in the Gameplay-menu.

And the crouch-height-solution from Fidcal is very good! I added myself a lower walking speed to the now lowest crouch-position and it adds a more variable gameplay-feeling!

The only bad thing is that the crouch-position is set back after reloading and then my speed´s are wrong, so I had to define a key with the right walk-speed. But when it works this creep/crouch is really an improvement! Because I always felt that the player is too fast in crouch-mode!

I think I said it before: I would like to see the overall-frob-distance decreased, this should be a difficult/gameplay-option, too. I know it´s not important but I think it´s worth to put on the 'things to do later'-list. :rolleyes:

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

To some extent that speed may be an illusion because you are closer to the ground you are moving over. I was thinking this only earlier today and had to check I'd not got 'always run' on! BTW I now think of the normal (low) crouch height as a kind of high crawl. :laugh: