The Dark Mod Forums

Politics and ttlg

Bikerdude

I dont know if politics is the right word to use, but there is something that I cant quite put my finger on that annoys me about ttlg. I personally have found a lack of common courtesy from some and snobbery from others, which just casts a shadow over the vast majority who are quite nice people. By contrast, this forum and other small thief related forums don't suffer from the same malady.

Just curious as to peoples opinions, as I have moved on from the aforementioned forum.

Edited by Bikerdude

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's no point in going over there if it makes you uncomfortable.

Wrongly or rightly, marginalized would be more applicable and that feeling just gets compounded.Its interesting that you've never been over there so how did you get involved in TDM and did you play T2 before TDM..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Depends -- I think the Thief forums are generally positive (although they occasionally go overboard with it, which can stifle worthwhile criticism) and The Editor's Guild is the most consistently mature and helpful web community I know. Commchat and General Gaming suffer from the "Internet tough guy" attitude that came from Something Awful, but they are significantly better than most places about computer games.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wrongly or rightly, marginalized would be more applicable and that feeling just gets compounded.Its interesting that you've never been over there so how did you get involved in TDM and did you play T2 before TDM..?

I don't think I ever said I never have been over there, I've seen the immaturity that can brew over there sometimes and I just don't want to participate in it.

As for how I got involved with TDM I already posted how I came to join TDM in a different thread somewhere.

Typically (of those who sign up to be hall-monitors) one of the mods over there threatened to do this or that about my language and attitude. And guess what? I gave him a dose of language and attitude. Any place that likes to put in place such arbitrary nonsense as "rules" about "manners", "language", "civility", and other "guidelines" is bound to become insular and use those excuses to settle petty-political bullshit. Likewise, as I say, anyone who campaigns to become a "mod" is 95% certain to be a sniveling little toad (before I appear to be picking a fight, this equation does not necessary apply to those that set up and run a forum as all forums need those people) who is bound to abuse the sought-after "power"...

If you want my opinion, that is.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Typically (of those who sign up to be hall-monitors) one of the mods over there threatened to do this or that about my language and attitude. And guess what? I gave him a dose of language and attitude. Any place that likes to put in place such arbitrary nonsense as "rules" about "manners", "language", "civility", and other "guidelines" is bound to become insular and use those excuses to settle petty-political bullshit. Likewise, as I say, anyone who campaigns to become a "mod" is 95% certain to be a sniveling little toad (before I appear to be picking a fight, this equation does not necessary apply to those that set up and run a forum as all forums need those people) who is bound to abuse the sought-after "power"...

If you want my opinion, that is.

Wow. Did someone OD on their grumpy pills today? tongue.gif

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

I gave him her a dose of language and attitude.

Fixed gender, and if I remember rightly you called her a snivelling little twat after me and you had a little contretemps and she asked us both to tone it down.

Yeah, people in glass houses and all that. There is no sane board in the universe that would tolerate that level of mod sass. None.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Fixed gender, and if I remember rightly you called her a snivelling little twat after me and you had a little contretemps and she asked us both to tone it down.

If you guys are referring to Nightwalker or Pavlovscat, I would rather you didnt. -_-

Unlike the small minority of mods the two of them are probably the nicest people I have found on any forums. They have always been more than happy to help with any queries or problems. The only reason either of them would get to the point of involving themselves in a thread is if it got to the stage where the contributors were behaving like kids? (which is 99% of the time with those who frequent commchat)

But Melan is spot on, the sass on the part of some mods is just rediculous.

Edited by Bikerdude

Sort of the point I was making, she is absolutely not a "toady hall monitor". I started the fight with aidakeeley by responding to something that was nothing to do with me, we had a bit of a back and forth and then pav' rightly stepped in and told us to stop.

This was in Thief Gen where there are stricter rules and a code of conduct, like in all the Thief boards over there. And I'm glad there are actually, it means people are welcome without having to defend themselves constantly.

@Bikerdude, don't you think things may change a bit when Thief4 is released and a lot of new blood will come in? (Although this will be years away.)

Edited by Namdrol

Sort of the point I was making, she is absolutely not a "toady hall monitor".

@Bikerdude, don't you think things may change a bit when Thief4 is released and a lot of new blood will come in? (Although this will be years away.)

Ah ok.

The thing is, the same minority that we all have issue with, the snobbery etc will still be there.

the ttlg forums seem to be a big magnet for forum trolls. especially comm chat although comm chat has always been ful of sharks, although it looks as if some of thoses sharks have been hunting in other parts of the forums and laying troll eggs.

when thief 4 comes out most of the times they start at the eidos forums, not called square enix yet or whatever its called, then they gravitate towards ttlg as you can say more there before the iron rod of the hall monitor comes crashing down. Although last time I was on the eidos thief 4 forums there was a troll in residence already.

Edited by stumpy

we had a bit of a back and forth and then pav' rightly stepped in and told us to stop.

You may need it.

I don't need to be told to stop.

I'll stop when I've made my point, changed my mind and accepted the other's point, lost interest, lost faith in the person I'm "back and forthing" with to respond with anything that deserves response... whatever...

There is no sane board in the universe that would tolerate that level of mod sass. None.

Oh, at that point I wasn't expecting to be "tolerated"; I was telling her (the twat thing was entirely random) to take her threats of banishment and shove them; I banished myself as I will not "watch what I say" anywhere. And to do so to save myself on a some game forum? Double Ha.

Anyway, I really am the sweetest. :wub:

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Bikerdude, interesting that you mentioned this behaviour. The reason why I avoid TTLG.com at all costs are posters like ZylonBane, who - if I remember correctly - was more or less kicked out here in seems to have been asked to leave the TDM forum in order to not litter the forum with his foul manners and bad language.

AidaKeeley, I do regard you as a nice person, but I can't agree on what you are saying in this thread. To behave in a civil way should be without question, ever. If you are really pissed off about something another person said, you should discuss that in a PM.

The only obvious exception to this rule are madmen like BulgarianTaffer, who foul-mouth TDM BECAUSE IT IS AGAINST TEH CAUSE!!!!!11111 :laugh: God, that was so freaky, seeing him write that stuff and realizing that he was absolutely serious...

Anyway, I'm really glad that the tone here in the TDM forum is very civil and friendly and everyone here behaves like a grown-up. Thank you, guys!

Edited by 7upMan

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

ZylonBane, who - if I remember correctly - was more or less kicked out here in the TDM forum in order to not litter the forum with his foul manners and bad language.

Not to my recollection.

Bikerdude, interesting that you mentioned this behaviour. The reason why I avoid TTLG.com at all costs are posters like ZylonBane

...along with the likes of scotstaffer and others, and whats worse is their crap is condoned by david and that's half the problem, they should have been banned years ago. As much as I like helping people with their tech prob's, I've had enough of dealing with untouchable arsehole users and the biased admins that let them get away with it.

And to top it all off, to date I still haven't received the perk I paid for via the donation and that is why I requested my account be deleted. If one of the owners of the site (digi)dosent want to get the point, then there is no point.

Edited by Bikerdude

Bikerdude, the point is from me. You expressed very well what I'm thinking about TTLG.com (and I probably need to stress the .com, because TTLG.de seems to be a really nice place).

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

...they should have been banned years ago

You can't be serious. You create a thread lamenting politics and then you call for the banning of certain people.

Why can't you just be an adult and ignore people that you have no use for? Or fucking put them in their place (if it's not simply on your ignore list)? Why can't people manage to do this without resorting to running to mommy-moderator? Mommy moderator is exactly what screws things up and gives a petty-political situation it's footing.

Ban him! Ban him! He called me a poopy-head!

For fucks sake.