The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

Adding to them more aggressive voices would be good rather than change any existing ones.

People want something more aggressive than the "I'm going to piss on your corpse" thug? :huh:

I think the idea of a faster mantle might be good if it is possible and practical. Hard to tell though the difference between being in a hurry and run jumping across to a ledge then silently and slowly pulling yourself up. I think it might have to be a manual selection somehow.

Well, as you hold shift, it could speed up... as soon as you let go it could slow back down to normal.

18588.png

...break existing maps...

I've suspected and, reading some of the above, further suspect that this is going to be the way of the way.

I know it's not the coolest thing but I don't think it would be a terrible tragedy either to maybe consider accepting the possibility that maps might be perhaps tied ever so lightly to the "generation" (or version) of the mod they were built about... could be?

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

People want something more aggressive than the "I'm going to piss on your corpse" thug? :huh:

It is not *what* he says, but *how* and *when* he says it. If some guard goes mental on me, I want him to YELL at the top of his lungs, to shout. Esp if I vanished suddenly, he should go "Come BACK HERE YOU filthy little PIG", not to mumble "hah, where did he go..." with a trailing voice.

Also, even if the thug is good, that still leaves us with all the other voices etc.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Sounds good enough for me !

However, I don't recall having ever heard such masterpiece of poetry in any mission.

Or maybe the character just kept a low voice, which might explain why it did not hit me in the face. :laugh:

If so, I would consider this an immersion issue from my own perspective.

I will try to enrage a few more guys then usual when playing the next missions and see what diversity there is.

It is not *what* he says, but *how* and *when* he says it. If some guard goes mental on me, I want him to YELL at the top of his lungs, to shout. Esp if I vanished suddenly, he should go "Come BACK HERE YOU filthy little PIG", not to mumble "hah, where did he go..." with a trailing voice.

The problem I see with this is that many of your voice actors could be visited by social services / the police when practicing their lines. laugh.gif

Also, even if the thug is good, that still leaves us with all the other voices etc.

AA! Okay now I understand and agree. Yeah, would cool to have a roughneck vocal set. A guy who truly screams and roars at the player. A voice talent could be found from any low class pub with the price of a bottle of cheap booze... ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The problem I see with this is that many of your voice actors could be visited by social services / the police when practicing their lines. laugh.gif

I thought that is the reason they practice in sound-proof studios? :D

Anyway, I don't want to complain too loudly, I am grateful for our voice actors. But some of the lines/voices could stand out a bit better. For instance someone is hurt badly, they would either go into big-pain-fearfully-screaming-mode, or in big-pain-angry-screaming mode. In TDM, you can chop them up and they just run away or towards you (depending on civilian/guard), muttering a bit. They should actually bleed (when hurt baldy) and scream bloody murder. If someone chops up my arm, I wouldn't keep quiet :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If you need a roughneck character, uncadonego may be the guy to turn to. :)

[edit]I mean, for voice acting. :laugh:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It is not *what* he says, but *how* and *when* he says it.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

So, getting some folks from the pub - as suggested - would work for one half of what I had in mind.

The other half would require some guy with some true authority plus intelligence (!) in his voice (for the higher ranks). Which does does not mean he would not yell or be a brutal bastard.

I might not be quite sure about it, but it seems to me that all guards are pretty much on the same level.

(No offense intended against the voice actors !!!)

The problem I see with this is that many of your voice actors could be visited by social services / the police when practicing their lines.

... which reminds me to check how Khad is doing and whether he makes some progress :laugh:

Edited by gnartsch

Some of the characters look silly and inhuman, I suggest maybe some knights in suits of armor and harnesses with authentic plates and pigface bascinets.Also, I dislike boots on military characters, making them look like buccaneers. I think shinbaulds, mail chausses or leather shoe+hose would look better and keep to the atmosphere.

I suggest maybe some knights in suits of armor and harnesses with authentic plates and pigface bascinets.Also, I dislike boots on military characters, making them look like buccaneers. I think shinbaulds, mail chausses or leather shoe+hose would look better and keep to the atmosphere.

The 'military characters' are actually city guards, so boots would seem far more fitting than metal shin plates. Same goes for fully armoured knights. Maybe if a mission required soldiers for an army (and even then most soldiers wouldn't have full plated armour), but for city guards? Chain-mail leggings and additional footwear could probably add a bit of variety, e.g. medieval footwear, though I don't see anything wrong with the existing characters. How about providing some examples of how you think the characters should look?

...preferably in the shape of completed models, too. -_-

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

No, it's only a tragedy if it was unnecessary. Always look for alternate ways first and be very reluctant to break existing FMs is my view.

I understand.

I just think you are may be frustrated anyway... every step of the way? It might not be time to "resign" yourself to this -- maybe I'm wrong -- but I'm just saying you may have to; and hopefully any improvements, if they are improvements, no matter what older stuff might get broken, will be something you can dig. Dig?

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

My only concern is that existing FMs are respected if changes are made. Mappers often spend hours fine tuning their FMs so a small change can spoil them.

+1

My only concern is that existing FMs are respected if changes are made. Mappers often spend hours fine tuning their FMs so a small change can spoil them.

+2.

As a mapper, I've absolutely no interest in digging out an old map and 'unbreak' it after it has been broken by some change. What is done, is done.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Practically speaking it's not much of a worry though. In most cases an improvement either wholesale replaces a previous feature so that it does the same job a little better, or it's added alongside old things (e.g., in the case of assets) so new mappers can choose the new stuff while old maps are still ok using the old stuff.

The kinds of changes that wouldn't be in either of those categories and break maps are probably going to be fundamental design-changing stuff that the game doesn't need anyway (i.e., it's turning it into different gameplay). There could be a fan-made patch for changes like that maybe; as always, fans are always free to do something themselves if they really want to. But there shouldn't need to be official changes like that in future versions.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Again about the ropearrow-swing: As I recently use a lot of ropearrows I experienced that the rope-swing is not supported by all ropes. So I guess it´s related to the angle how the arrow sticks into the surface or how much room is between the surface and the rope?

edit:

When jumping into water from really high heights the player should take some damage or even die depending on the height. How high the limit should be is not for me to judge.

As for Baddcogs actual Mission he said that the jump in his mission would cause no harm and as I think of cliff-jumpers, oh, thats high. But than again, thinking of the stuff the player has on his body, well...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I see no reason at all to take damage when jumping into a deep pool of water. t2 didn't damage you. Most players are used that. 75% of my missions have used that feature.

Sure, a player has a bow, a sword, etc... But he also has leather clothing. I never jumped off a cliff with those items but also never had leather clothing.

And I'm not taking about cliff 'diving', just cliff 'jumping'. Cliff divers go much much higher, and they have a perfect swan dive. I'm talking about just jumping in. Or rope swinging in.

If I had to make a jump like that and I had ton's of 'invisible' equiptment like a bag full of loot and healing potions) I might think about throwing them down first, then jumping.

of course that's imaginary, we can't dump our inventory, but it also doesn't weight us down when climbing, make it hard to squeeze through small holes, make us clitter/clatter as we walk down a hallway...

So making gear force damage because of the 'reality' of a large jump into water, when it doesn't force the reality of those other situations makes no sense.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

of course that's imaginary, we can't dump our inventory, but it also doesn't weight us down when climbing, make it hard to squeeze through small holes, make us clitter/clatter as we walk down a hallway...

That are all superb ideas, can´t wait to see them realized in the next update! ;)

But in your mission it could´ve forced the player to take the route you imagined. But to be fair, re-thinking of it your words make sense, it wasn´t that high. But on really high places it would make sense. (for me) Like a really big tower with rocks in the water or sth like that.

Question: An attached dead-zone that is activated/de-activated due to certain triggers, is that already possible?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more