The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

Guys, I have another thing that's been bothering my since I've beta-tested Carnage's FM. I don't know if it has come up in the forum already or has been fixed by now, but right now, when torches are doused they can be re-lit. Is the same true for electrical lights? After all, some FMs rely on electrical light, and if the player switches it off, it would create some really intense moments if the lights would be back on again as soon as a guerd/servant passes by.

Also, how about candles? Is it possible already for AIs to re-light them?

As far as I know, AI don't know "light switches" yet (they only know about elevators) and they ignore candles, too. (I am not sure it is planed that they relight candles, tho). The infrastructure is almost in place (we have certain flags that can be set on things so the AI knows it is a light source, or an elevator, or a person or a monster), but certain things are still missing.

Since greebo did most of the work, the AI is already in good shape. Now we have a lot of open AI bugs and grayman started working on it, and I also dabbled in fixing a few of them, I think v1.04 or later will improve in this area, as it is always much easier to fix small things than to develop the entire framework from scratch :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Tels, cool! Thanks, that's comforting to know!

Fidcal, the AIs do show unexpected signs of intelligence every now and then, like the one time I listened to guards talk to each other. That seemed to be a one time only thing, however.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Tels, cool! Thanks, that's comforting to know!

Fidcal, the AIs do show unexpected signs of intelligence every now and then, like the one time I listened to guards talk to each other. That seemed to be a one time only thing, however.

And thanx to graymans work, they will sound more intelligent in v1.03 than ever :) (no joke, their barks are now less repetitive, which is really cool to hear!)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this in the 1.03 beta testing thread but wasn't sure anyone saw it:

One of the many cool things about TDM is the ability to abort a bowshot (without the old method of switching weapons), but it doesn't seem to work the same for the blackjack (possibly the same applies to the sword as well). Can we get this?

(:D Maybe for 1.05 after 1.04 is quickly deployed to be an update that is mainly about the huge set of assets {Melan, Serpentine, Nosslak...} awaiting distribution; and the little fixes that have been worked for 1.03 already; and as a good way of seeing how beautifully such thing will proceed with the new updater :D)

Thanks.

Edited by Aprilsister

I've noticed (running the wine version of the game) that during the training mission, on the climbing section there was a metal grate with a wooden beam above. If i use a rope arrow so that it droped above the metal grate, and tried to jump on the rope. I could never get traction to get up the rope. Only if i used a arrow that didn't directly terminate on the metal grating. Dunno if this makes sense, if it's wine being stupid or what.

One of the many cool things about TDM is the ability to abort a bowshot (without the old method of switching weapons), but it doesn't seem to work the same for the blackjack (possibly the same applies to the sword as well). Can we get this?

It definitely works for the sword (abort a held swing by hitting "block"). To get it to work for the blackjack, I believe someone just has to copy those elements from the sword script over to the blackjack script.

It definitely works for the sword (abort a held swing by hitting "block"). To get it to work for the blackjack, I believe someone just has to copy those elements from the sword script over to the blackjack script.

Well, but there is no WEAPON_BLOCK-feature for the blackjack and also no animation... :(

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I didn't see the zombies up close, but they definitely felt too buff/healthy. I would suggest holes in the mesh (custom creature i guess) and general decomposition, instead of what appears just a texture.

Again i've not seen them up close, i only saw the back of one before reloading, but that was my feeling.

Edit: Actually, let me paraphrase that

If you look at this image:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/images/the-glenham-tower-hdr-sneek-peek5#imagebox

You see that they are not "buff" obvs, (except the lower legs i guess). But the no "holes" thing applies.

In comparation, if you search for "mummies" in google images, you'll see plenty of holes and stages (how macabre).

I dunno, it's probably a limitation of doom.

Edited by i30817

I didn't see the zombies up close, but they definitely felt too buff/healthy. I would suggest holes in the mesh (custom creature i guess) and general decomposition, instead of what appears just a texture.

Yeah, they're at the moment based on the doom3 zombie, I'm going to put some time into reskinning them a bit in the coming weeks, since I also wanted to see a more damaged look, specially in regards to the very flat and uniform skin. The model is a doom asset and it's unlikely that I'll make any changes to that, since redoing that would be a waste of time, they're quite old and have been badly decimated leaving editing quite a boring and a hatchet job at best. If you happen to know someone who wants to model up a zombie or two feel free :)

Yeah, they're at the moment based on the doom3 zombie, I'm going to put some time into reskinning them a bit in the coming weeks, since I also wanted to see a more damaged look, specially in regards to the very flat and uniform skin. The model is a doom asset and it's unlikely that I'll make any changes to that, since redoing that would be a waste of time, they're quite old and have been badly decimated leaving editing quite a boring and a hatchet job at best. If you happen to know someone who wants to model up a zombie or two feel free :)

If they could explode it would be nice.

Edited by i30817

since I also wanted to see a more damaged look, specially in regards to the very flat and uniform skin.

Have you checked out the alternate skins? Greebo did a nice grungy version a while ago.

If they could explode it would be nice.

Why would zombies explode?

I really don't see the need for it, it's also a pain to make creature specific gib models unless you want generic bits... in which case maybe Quake1 is that-a-way?

He probably just has fond memories (like me) of creating zombie chunks in Thief 1/2. :) I would never want gibbable guards, but I guess LGS came up with gibbing zombies from the old legend that zombies can only be killed by destroying the body. That was the only way to kill them in Thief, after all.

In TDM, we can even kill zombies with the sword. This aint easy though.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Why would zombies explode?

It is cool to wade around in zombie chunks and throw them at other AI. :ph34r:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Again for the Blackjack-hit-cancel-with-block-key-feature:

I couldn´t help but looked again at my script-attempt from yesterday that I dismissed and now I got it working, well, it´s not perfect of course. Make sure that you hit the block-button very short, else the hit-start-animation repeats itself. Since you all know that I´m not very skilled you can imagine that it was mostly trail&error and I can´t think of what to do else, so hopefully someone skilled enough can perfect the script and even put in a real blocking-feature? Sth. like the Block from Thief1/2 would be cool. I loved to hit block just to look at my tools...

Anyway, here it is:zzz_bj-cancel.pk4.txt

Remove the '.txt' from the end of the filename and put it in the DarkMod-folder. The script is inside.

And before someone says it: No, I don´t think it´s unrealistic to block an attack with the blackjack. One simple block should make it less effective as the sword. :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

And before someone says it: No, I don´t think it´s unrealistic to block an attack with the blackjack

You don't think it's unrealistic to block a three foot piece of steal with a ten inch leather bag filled with pebbles? :huh:

You don't think it's unrealistic to block a three foot piece of steal with a ten inch leather bag filled with pebbles? :huh:

Blackjack blocking? :laugh:

And exploding zombies?

The improvement wishes are getting somewhat silly: that only means TDM is getting close to perfection as it looks like people have difficulties in inventing Real Good Significant things to improve in TDM.

Oh and I think it is possible to make an exploding burning gas emitting zombie via DR entitywork and custom map scripting: no need to have explosions as a standard, but some missions could surprise the player with non-normal behavior.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Arg, I knew it... <_< Of course it should be less effective than the sword, hell, even give the player (decreased) damage. But I don´t like it that I can´t raise the blackjack for defence at all. The blackjack wouldn´t fall apart like the bow would, would it?

But at least help me out with the 'cancel attack'-script, please? Please!! :blush:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

But I don´t like it that I can´t raise the blackjack for defence at all. The blackjack wouldn´t fall apart like the bow would, would it?

Realistically speaking, a bow would be far more likely to block a sword than a leather bag. At least a bow is made out of wood.

I know you're pressed for animators, so this is going not be actioned upon most probably.

I think the combat animations are quite unrealistic. I didn't notice at first since i ghost, and from first person, when they are fighting you it is not so noticeable, but, i had the opportunity to watch two guards fighting (they hit eachother), and it does look silly when watched from above; they get up as close as they can, and spend 3 seconds each being quiet, before unleashing a devastatingly fast blow, that has no visible effect on the opponent. It's almost like there is a missing part of the animation.

Some completely unrealistic crazy animation ideas too:

Group court dances!

Entwined with a few greeting animations (bows) this could lead to wicked party missions.

Edited by i30817