The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

There are wiki tutorials for that purpose.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The wiki is largely out of date though, or missing articles, or the article you need doesn't come up by searching for something like an entity name, or the content you need *might* be buried in a different article.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

The wiki is largely out of date though, or missing articles, or the article you need doesn't come up by searching for something like an entity name, or the content you need *might* be buried in a different article.

The wiki article about the objectives editor should be pretty much up to date. Maybe I will make a video about its usage if I find the time.

Definitely seems like a worthwhile mapper challenge. First one to figure out a reasonable method for hiding rings inside boots (and makes a prefab out of it) gets a virtual cookie and the adoration of dozens.

So close and yet so far... It's actually quite easy to make a more complex collision model for a grabable container, like a bucket or shoe: you can just make a rough box shape out of caulk brushes, open at the top so that the goodies can fall out, then select all the brushes and make them a func_mover, then bind that to the model, then give the model a small flat clipmodel so the interior isn't solid any more. I used the clipmodel for a readable piece of paper as the substitute, which conveniently lies along the bottom of the bucket. You can't suppress the clipmodel for the visual model entirely or the map won't load.

TDM physics behaves very well with that set-up. You can turn the container around and the contents will turn over and make a clunking noise as you'd expect. You can even play toss-and-catch with a bucket and apple and it all feels quite natural. I guess that under the hood the game is generating a separate clipmodel for each brush in the func_mover.

The problem comes when you drop the bucket after turning it upside-down. The bound func_mover won't stop it falling through the floor. The bucket will only stop when its substitute clipmodel hits the ground, which in my test was a piece of paper along the bottom so the upside-down bucket fell through the floor leaving only the base visible. I haven't thought of a way round that yet. If only one clipmodel will collide with the floor and each clipmodel has to be convex, then the bucket has to be completely solid and filled-in in order to behave solid.

Any ideas anyone?

Edit: I did try binding the model to the func_mover instead of the func_mover to the model, but then you can't pick it up. If you make the func_mover a grabable_custom_item instead, it dumps its set of brushes and wants a model and clipmodel attaching, and a more complex clip model would need binding to it separately, so you're back with the original problem.

Edited by SteveL

You can try making the hollow object an articulated figure (idAFEntity). Essentially a ragdoll but you'd edit the ragdoll file to set fixed constraints between its parts (the parts being the bottom and the some approximation of the sides). I think we made or at least talked about making a boat that floats on water that the player can also enter using this system, but the floating physics weren't stable enough at the time to release it.

• Like 1

I know that restarting the game after installing a new mission is necessary, but is it be possible to make the intermediate screen black instead of the ugly grey?

Also I had a minor bug just recently: After I cancelled a too long intro session using escape, I got back to the main menu, but my mouse pointer was invisible!

Last not least what happened to the project to rename missions so it's more obvious to which series they belong? I just started a mission only to read in the journal that it must be one of the Thomas porter series. I wouldn't even know from name which one this would be, it's called The Beleaguered Fence.

Edited by wesp5

I know that restarting the game after installing a new mission is necessary, but is it be possible to make the intermediate screen black instead of the ugly grey?

Also I had a minor bug just recently: After I cancelled a too long intro session using escape, I got back to the main menu, but my mouse pointer was invisible!

Last not least what happened to the project to rename missions so it's more obvious to which series they belong? I just started a mission only to read in the journal that it must be one of the Thomas porter series. I wouldn't even know from name which one this would be, it's called The Beleaguered Fence.

• Maybe you should close your eyes if it annoyes you ;) (just kidding). I don't know where it comes from, so if this is really something created by the game itself, only in this case it cold be changed I guess
  • This is really strange. Never heard that from anyone else before. Can you reproduce it (start the mission again, abort the intro etc...)
  • This is something that is planned, but as there are roughly one dozen servers where FM's are stored this is something that needs some care, and therefore some time. Yo will have to show some patience on that matter.

1) If I remember correctly the ugly white gray screen was already there in Doom 3, but if it could be replaced by a black screen, the whole thing would look much better.

2) Yes, that can be easily reproduced during the The Beleaguered Fence mission. Just press ESC during the intro, but maybe this is something mission specific?

3) Ah, I didn't know that this is more difficult that it seems. So is there a master list of all missions somewhere that would need to be updated and mirrored around?

BTW, played my first TDM mission after playing nuThief today and, man, I was always waiting for hints on where to jump and shoot rope arrows at first ;)!

1. This isn't supposed to be happening--you should see the loading screen there, but somewhere around 1.08 we started getting a grey screen instead and no one could figure out why. :blink:

Use the mouse button to skip the intro instead of escape, should fix the issue. Issue's been around a while.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely seems like a worthwhile mapper challenge. First one to figure out a reasonable method for hiding rings inside boots (and makes a prefab out of it) gets a virtual cookie and the adoration of dozens.

It could be a good subject for a contest !

It could be a good subject for a contest !

Quick update on my attempts. The problem is that you can make a simple hollow bucket or boot and it'll work for holding objects and tipping them out, but it won't behave like a solid object when you throw it without a solid convex collision mesh, and if you have one of those, it's not hollow any more. Ishtvan suggested using an articulated figure which seems like it should work, but I haven't tried it yet because I found you have to make a skeleton for it and a single frame animation, and I don't know how to do those.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i just started playing thief 3 and a lot is missing and btw i have a bit low requirements and i cant play thief 4 .then lead me to this cool game and really fit to my pc and something is missing too, can you add realistic first person just like in thief 3? where i can see my hands body and feet. thanks hope someone will read this haha

If you're talking about body awareness, there are pretty good reasons why that won't happen. The biggest one is that it is nearly impossible to do it well without regularly taking control away from the player. Theif 4 is the perfect example of this.

I guess the easiest way would be to let the moveable use a script object which checks its orientation every frame. If its opening is pointing downwards, the item falls out.

No. It would be a tremendous undertaking with doubtful results.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved