The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

In the properties list is the frob action property with the value of what a frob does. My kneejerk guess is have that just directly call the script that extinguishes it (i.e., the script called when it's held & frobbed), rather than pick it up.

I haven't tested it, but I think you can do it just with properties and not a custom script. But even if you needed a custom script, I think it'd only change a few lines.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I like being able to pick up candles, but a separate key to put candle flame out when not needing to pick it up is what I was saying would be nice.

I put more candles out than using them for a light source, it would make life easier if there was a key to extinguish their light.

That and setting the candles down sometimes makes noise, which would be avoided if there was a separate key for solely extinguish the flame.

On a certain perspective, it adds challenge to have to pick up the candle, extinguish flame and put back down. But after doing that 50 times in a given FM it becomes a bit tiresome.

Just my two cents from play experience....

• Like 2

if there was a separate key for solely extinguish the flame.

But there is! I mean it's the use key if i'm not mistaken

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I like being able to pick up candles, but a separate key to put candle flame out when not needing to pick it up is what I was saying would be nice.

I put more candles out than using them for a light source, it would make life easier if there was a key to extinguish their light.

That and setting the candles down sometimes makes noise, which would be avoided if there was a separate key for solely extinguish the flame.

On a certain perspective, it adds challenge to have to pick up the candle, extinguish flame and put back down. But after doing that 50 times in a given FM it becomes a bit tiresome.

Just my two cents from play experience....

You should have an easier time in v2.04. Until then, try the patch in this thread:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17142-picking-up-stuff-without-clunking-it/page-3

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

But there is! I mean it's the use key if i'm not mistaken

Yes, but the candle must be frobbed in order to "use" to extinguish flame.

I used right mouse button to frob and center mouse button to use, so it's not much of a hassle, just extra picking up and setting down an object that I don't want to pick up in the first place.

• Like 2

Yes, but the candle must be frobbed in order to "use" to extinguish flame.

I used right mouse button to frob and center mouse button to use, so it's not much of a hassle, just extra picking up and setting down an object that I don't want to pick up in the first place.

Ah, well... I guess the Thief 3 way is the most convenient here.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

While this is true, it's easy and consistent with the gameplay: frobing anything takeable will first pick it up and it can then manipulated further with the use key. I suggest though that it should be possible to snuff out stationary candles with the frob key, but I guess the chances for that are as bad as with the oil lamps ;).

Edited by wesp5

• 2 weeks later...

After playing Thomas Porter: The Transaction I think, just in case of mandatory combat, there should be some way to flag an npc as not being able to raise your stealth score despite combative behavior.

• Like 1

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Hmm, the score counts AI alerts attributed to the player. I guess you'd have to add a spawnarg on the AI like 'counts_to_stealth_score' which the score code checks going in. It's true in the old ghosting rules, plot enforced busts don't count.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Hmm, the score counts AI alerts attributed to the player. I guess you'd have to add a spawnarg on the AI like 'counts_to_stealth_score' which the score code checks going in. It's true in the old ghosting rules, plot enforced busts don't count.

Agreed. If I'm required to be caught, I'd like to know what my score is without having to geuss how much of the stealth score is that and how much isn't.

Edited by V-Man339
  • Like 1

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

You should have an easier time in v2.04. Until then, try the patch in this thread:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17142-picking-up-stuff-without-clunking-it/page-3

Interestingly enough, I always liked to have to pick up candles to snub them out - that makes it more a challange and adds a bit of suspension. My fear is the game will get way to easy if you can do anything with a simple click of a button and no longer need to have a "skill" in manipulation objects in 3D space.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Perhaps I should have posted here first but I have opened a bug 0004247: Using the crouch key when climbing a ladder or a pipe

When climbing in crouch mode and part way up press the crouch key
The crouch icon changes and the player stands up and the light gem changes
However when in standing up mode and pressing crouch the crouch icon changes but the player doesn't crouch down and the light gem doesn't change to reflect the crouched position
I would have assumed that the crouch/standing action would move the players body relative to his feet and this happens when standing up but not when going back to crouch

Okay, so a bugtracker of mine was closed because it wasn't discussed here. As there is little going on right now I think the time is right ;). My suggestion would be to put a small overlay text at the bottom on the intro video screen stating "Press attack to skip intro" or similar! Right now people wanting to do this would need to try out Attack, Frob, Enter, Space, Esc whatever until it works. Another option would be to have all of the common keys above skip the intro and in a similar direction, it would be cool if at least the Frob key could start the mission as well. I always dislike that only Attack starts missions in a game where I try to avoid attacking if possible :)!

I like ambient background music that doesn't change location to location. That's how I play and I think it provides a lot more immersion than the short loops that change from area to area. Just a suggestion for more captivating gameplay.

I like ambient background music that doesn't change location to location. That's how I play and I think it provides a lot more immersion than the short loops that change from area to area. Just a suggestion for more captivating gameplay.

What do you mean? Every Thief game has changing background music. It is only appropriate for TDM. Even Thief 2 and Deadly Shadows has loops meant specifically for one or another area of the same level. Like in DS the music that plays at your rented apartment and the one that plays in South Quarter - but it's the same track in the OST:

And it also plays in the end of the game: https://youtu.be/i8gyw1dDY9Y?t=2m47s

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

So I can safely say there's some kind of issue with regards to scripted killing of npc's through plot and script usage.

I played Thomas Porter 2 and the moment I picked up the jewel the two dead zombies spawn in and end up just showing up as corpses.

This is fine on it's own, but it claims I did 4 damage to something.

As well, on Thomas Porter 3, after dipping an orb in some acid every zombie and undead is meant to die, which they do, but in the process add 4 to the stealth score or so (which I imagine is through the one remaining undead, but I'm not exactly clear on it.)

Definitely something I would find solution to since this feels a tad odd with regards to stats tracking. The player is unfairly punished for optional objectives in these cases.