The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

Currently the mission downloader let's you navigate during download. You can even start a mission or exit TDM. If you click on a mission details (More...) page, the dialog does not show untill downloads finish.

Request / advice : Disable clicking during downloading. So when downloading starts you can click on things, but nothing happens, or a dialog apears for a second that you can't do anything during downloading (more work).

Apart from that I think the Download All button should be removed.

4 hours ago, datiswous said:

Apart from that I think the Download All button should be removed.

I disagree. I take long breaks from TDM all the time and it's very convenient to download all new or updated missions in the background once I am back! But please somebody finally remove the overlapping "no new missions" text over the list of the missions that were just downloaded...

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Zaratul said:

We have 2.11 version now. TDM has a long history but no auto loot bodies function like in Thief 1\2? Rotating bodies its not really fun or immersive so please add this feature.

Rotating bodies not immersive? What else do you want to be able to do? You can already drag the ragdoll from head, torso, feet, hands. Move it all around, push and pull on the points also. Please elaborate

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

23 minutes ago, Zaratul said:

We have 2.11 version now. TDM has a long history but no auto loot bodies function like in Thief 1\2? Rotating bodies its not really fun or immersive so please add this feature.

Nothing against implementing such a choice for auto loot, I'm always for player choice. 

But I most say that I disagree that rotating the bodies to loot them, is not fun or immersive, to me is totally the contrary, plus is a tad more realistic than just "frob body press button" and stuff happens. IMO It also adds to the gameplay, is like a mini-game.

5 hours ago, Zaratul said:

I hear you. It would be nice to have that feature.

After reading your request, I made a prototype of auto-search bodies (like Thief 1 & 2) for my build. It's working, but I still have some fine tuning to do. Maybe it'll be included in a future version of TDM someday. It's not up to me, though. We'll see.

In the meantime, if you aren't already doing this, a faster way to loot bodies instead of dragging them is to pick them up and drop them using the "Use Inv. Item" key. When you pick up and drop a body multiple times, it'll alternate between facing up and facing down. Looting a body that's facing down tends to be easier.

35 minutes ago, Daft Mugi said:

When you pick up and drop a body multiple times, it'll alternate between facing up and facing down.

This is not actually true, I often have to do this some amount of time before the body falls down the opposite way. Very annoying. It would be nice if TDM had a rotate body button.. But even when it's rotated correctly, it's often hard to frob the key correctly.

So yeah I'm in favor of an auto frob key button (for bodies).

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, datiswous said:

This is not actually true, I often have to do this some amount of time before the body falls down the opposite way. Very annoying.

It's true in the sense that that's how it is supposed to work, but for some reason, it doesn't always happen. I'm not sure why. A bug, perhaps?

Though, once a particular body starts alternating between facing up and facing down, it tends to always work.

Edit: Also, I've found that standing up first helps. If crouched, the body is less likely to flip.

Edited by Daft Mugi

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah I've run into a situation where it looks like a body is almost on it's stomach, pick it up to flip it over, only to have the player drop the body on it's stomach again. So I have to pick it up and drop it one more time to get it flipped over.

Not sure what causes that, and yeah it is pretty annoying.

But standing up and making sure there's enough room around you seems to help. I've noticed sometimes that if I pick up a body in tight spaces and drop it, it goes right back to the position it was in, instead of being flipped over. Might have something to do with it.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

What are people looting from bodies?  Isn't it usually just either a key or a loot pouch?  If you are going to sneak up to them and blackjack them anyways, isn't it easier to just pickpocket them first?

Auto-looting chests on the other hand - that would be convenient.  But I guess some chests have been painstakingly stacked with hidden loot items, etc.  I personally find that tedious (even though I've actually done it in my maps for some reason).

25 minutes ago, Frost_Salamander said:

Auto-looting chests on the other hand - that would be convenient.  But I guess some chests have been painstakingly stacked with hidden loot items, etc.  I personally find that tedious (even though I've actually done it in my maps for some reason).

I think it all comes down to the long standing issue that the bottom of the some chests remain frobable when the lid is open. Dragofer came up with a solution that is available in wesp5's Unofficial Patch.

TDM Modpack 4.0

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if intended, but under configurable key bindings - there is "Broadhead", while other arrow types are followed by "Arrow".

In-game inventory still shows "Broadhead arrow", so it's consistent with wording of other arrow types, but not consistent with how it is in controls Settings.

Edit: I see "Noisemaker" is also without "Arrow", but I'm guessing both of these decisions were made to keep Controls screen more tidy by leaving strings approximately the same length? 

Screenshot_4.png

Edited by Loginnerer
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 3:55 PM, New Horizon said:

Ok, it would need to be thoroughly tested and verified before anything is changed because the functionality should already be there for a delay to scale with distance.

There should already be voice cues for suspicion...or at least I thought there were.  My original vocal set scripts included everything from the original Thief series.  Perhaps they're not being used for some reason?

Continuing this thread, which I started here.

Issue (so you don't have to read it all): In some cases guards walking near you or even bumping into you notice you and make a "huh?" sound, but then they continue walking for a bit until they suddenly turn around and run towards you fully aware. The part that I have a problem is not the delay itself but that they keep walking during it. I think it's unrealistic (even in the context of a game like this) and confusing - it doesn't send the message of what's happening clearly.

It was proposed that I show an example of what I mean, which took me merely 10 months, and I bring not one but two whole examples. In both cases the guards physically bump into me. I think this also happens if the guard notices the player from up close because the player is just slightly lit, without the guard physically bumping into the player, but I have not encountered it in the last couple missions I played, so no proof/example there. 

Proposed solution (so I don't come empty handed): After saying "huh?" the guard stops and looks at the player, or maybe better, starts looking around in the general direction of the player. Since this seems to be triggered by bumping into the player, making one step back after stopping and turning to face the player would also seem realistic to me (at least that's what I'd do after bumping into something in the dark).

I gotta say without sound those videos are kind of funny. I imagine the guard walking behind the corner and suddenly realizing "CRAP! WAS THAT A BLOODY THIEF??"

Edited by vozka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

- Sheath key should also draw the weapon you last sheathed.

- Option to disable custom main menu backgrounds that come with missions. I'm sure the designers went to great trouble to tailor my experience, but I honestly just want my main menu to be black as it is with no missions installed. Current mission comes with background and is obscuring the main menu options.

- Music should come under "music" slider in options, currently its under "ambient" which is both ambigious, and also disables environmental sfx for those who prefer to play without music.

Edited by Wallace
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Arrow / Weapon BIND STACKING: AKA old Quake mod style re-use of Impulse 1,2,3,4,5....plus tool-variations

But; built around General Type/Intended Use:

1. Blackjack / Club / Heavy-Vase / Hammer / Ether & Rag, ect... {Knockout weapons/tools}
  2. Short-Sword / Dagger / Stiletto, Blow-darts, ect... {Killing weapons/tools}
  3. Water  (arrows) / Extinguisher (manual water pump) / Soot (arrows)... {Light Dousing tools}
  4. Fire; 'Explosive' (arrows) / Concussion (arrow) / Incendiary (arrow)... {Explosive weapon/tools}
  5. Rope (arrows) / Vine (arrows) / Grappling-Hook (hook & chain)... {Vertical movement tools}
  6. 'Ether' Gas (arrows) / 'Tear' Gas (arrows) / 'Mustard' Gas (arrows)... {Mixed use gas/vapour tools}
  7. Moss (arrows) / Paint (arrows)  ...{Sound-impact / light absorbing tools}
  8. Glue (arrows) / Flash (arrows) / Noisemaker (arrows) / Fire-crackers... {Distracting / disabling tools}

Noting the following are new;

• Heavy-Vase: used double-handed; a loud single use blackjack that leaves a mess...
  • Dagger, Stilleto: Short range, Can't block - the latter CAN penetrate armour if attacking a weak-point...
  • Blow-Darts: Specialized tool of assassins - useful dealing with multiple guards...or special people (its deadly).
  • Ether-vial & Rag: Used from behind its very effective at disabling. It will evaporate in moments, limited uses.
  • Extinguisher: Ever wanted to just spray some water on a torch? This, does that. That's it. Only close up.
  • Paint Arrows: Permanently covers electric light sources & blinds optical sensors [which WILL trigger them!].
  • Glue Arrows: So, you need to stop charging guards?; Loosing one of these creates a puddle of Ultra-Adhesive capable of binding anything together for a little while. Works against Bi-pedal AND Quadrupedal foes!

I think TDM; needs more puzzle-ish odd tools and places to use 'em!

(and not having more re-bind things for every darn map)

Edited by Melchior
I can't splle

Annother thing; A.I. Predictability - why not have an occasional Coward Guard, or Mad-Maid?

A Berzerk Butler, attacking with whatever throwables are handy - or impromptu weapons like pots/pans/plates, an angered workman employing his tools against a most unwelcome burglar.

Can NPC's carry items even?

11 hours ago, Melchior said:

Can NPC's carry items even?

Yes. They have the ability to carry things like swords and torches, and hold small objects in their hands like apples or scrolls, among other things.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle