The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

I quite like the ChrisHand font. I think that your difficulty reading it is mostly due to English not being your first language. Studies have shown that our brains actually do a lot of guesswork when it comes to reading text based on what the brain expects. In other words, your eyes don't actually focus on each letter, instead the brain recognises recurring patterns in words and 'fills in' a lot of what you read, and this is especially true with unusual or uncommon fonts such as this one. A lot of the guesswork is of course done by relying on familiarity with a language so it's understandable that you'd have difficulty with this. If the same font were used in your own language you would find it much easier to 'guess' what it says. For this reason, rather than changing the font, the question is how difficult would it be for missions to support multiple languages, and which languages to support?

It denos't mtater waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it's olny iprmoatnt taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

That being said...

I might be the culprit on the (initial :) ) font-bringing-up as I did mention somewhere that one of the fonts has a spacing problem that caused me to read things a bit wackily; the "t" has some extraneous space that separates it from what is supposed to be the next letter in the same word but effectively makes it appear to be the next word... I see that happening with the "h" (it's "aych!" not "haytch!" bang!) in the sample there above.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

There are people like melan who do that, if you see the thread for his map (return to the city) he has a poll that let's you rate it, and fair enough, It's probably better to give that person a chance to decide whether they want the map put under criticism, especially if they are new to it.

18588.png

That was a contest entry but yes, there is nothing to stop anyone adding a poll to their thread to get feedback on any FM I guess.

But I think what was wanted was a list of FMs with scores, eg on the wiki list a new ratings column.

I could not find the bugged models/textures thread, so:

post-2023-127937437134_thumb.jpg

The model models/darkmod/kitchen/wineglass_silver.ase seems to be casting wrong shadows when lit. Wrong shadow mesh? Or something else? You be the judge. Or should I add this to the bugtracker?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Again for the fonts: I like your ideas, Fidcal. Wouldn´t it be possible to add a GUI-folder in the DarkMod-folder and there I could manage 'fonts' (copy ones I can read over the unreadable) and if I want to set all back to original I could just rename or move the folder. Or would it be more complicated?

As for new fonts and copyright, what about the fonts found here? They say it´s free, so could they be implemented in TDM or must the authors be contacted?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I could not find the bugged models/textures thread, so:

post-2023-127937437134_thumb.jpg

The model models/darkmod/kitchen/wineglass_silver.ase seems to be casting wrong shadows when lit. Wrong shadow mesh? Or something else? You be the judge. Or should I add this to the bugtracker?

Actually it's a bit unfinished, I needed to uv map the inside still and make a shadow mesh (it probably uses 2 materials right now, one has shadow, one doesn't).

I'll try and do it soon, but the fix probably wont be seen in game til 1.03 (I can always send you the file to pack it though).

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

By the time I finish this map, TDM might be at 1.04 already. :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Again for the fonts: I like your ideas, Fidcal. Wouldn´t it be possible to add a GUI-folder in the DarkMod-folder and there I could manage 'fonts' (copy ones I can read over the unreadable) and if I want to set all back to original I could just rename or move the folder. Or would it be more complicated?

Yes, you only need to extract the guis/readables folder from tdm_gui01.pk4 into your darkmod folder. You would then change the fonts you don't like. For example if you don't like the everett font the you could say open sheet_paper_hand_everett.gui in a plain text editor and change the font name on the line: font "fonts/everett" You might also need to change the value on textscale if the new font doesn't fit; better too small than too big.

As for new fonts and copyright, what about the fonts found here? They say it´s free, so could they be implemented in TDM or must the authors be contacted?

Yes there are lots of fonts websites. It's generally a matter of opening them up and seeing what each author states about copyright.

No, look at the 'f' in 'Father' on the right page. I already changed 'Everett' and 'Chris Hand'. Is it a font that´s not posted in the wiki?

edit: It´s not 'Popsies' either. And there is no readable-folder in Melans pk4. So it´s not a new font. I don´t get it.

@Melan it´s the book by the builder where the ladder leads up to some valuables near the staircase.

Maybe I´m so stupid and it´s one of the new fonts I assigned, I´ll set it back. Wait a sec...

No, gladly I´m not stupid. It´s another font. Melan, you´re my last chance! :)

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Definitely Everett. I didn't even dare think of "custom GUIs" when I could barely create regular ones. :laugh:

Oh, uups! Sorry, Aida. :rolleyes:

So, I´ll have to change the books and scrolls folders too. What about the files in the main readable-folder? I guess I change them too. There is parchment too. And scroll again. Little bit confusing, but I´m only at the beginning of understanding how TDM ticks...

edit: can I replace parchment_guis with sheet_guis without causing problems? What is a sheet anyway in this case? Is it actual an readable item ingame?

Thanks again Fidcal! :)

back to topic:

When eating food, most of the time the frob sound is played. I tried it in Glenham tower at the chest with the breads. Only one played the chunk-eat-sound. Saw this in missions before on apples.

Since the new update usually I experience this:

After I extinguish a candlestick I want to put it down with the 'drop'-key. This triggers a mis-positioning that puts the candlestick nearer to me. On the next 'drop'-key-press it is finally dropped.

I´m not sure, but I think when I try to put the candlestick down with the 'frob'-key this bug does not occur.

If it´s related to this: I use 'g_fov 85'.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

is cake likely to get a new skin as its skin is currently the same as bread, some skin like the cake in portal, but not the same, actually its the same model as the bread as well, layered cakes did exist in medieval times so they would fit. (although I think they wouldn't have chocolate cakes, more like carrot cake, or fruit cake.) I think even the romans had some type of cake as well.

Although one of the big things durring medieval times were big multi-colored wobbley jello puddings.

Edited by stumpy

I don't know if this is a suggestion for the mod, or to FM authors in general. Any time you have a scene where there is a light source hanging from a chain or something, it should be swingable. I think this adds to the immersion quite a bit.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I think I said it before but got no response, so I´ll post it again:

I really would like to see the briefing-text (accessible via a button) in the objective-screen that is accessible during the mission, too.

Last night I looked into Builder´s Influence and I wasn´t able to finish reading on most of the briefing-pages, as in some other missions before.

So, an option to re-read the briefing would be really nice, don´t you think?

edit: a second Quicksave-slot would be nice too. Is that possible? (in case of quicksavecrashes destroying quicksaves f.e.)

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I don't know if this is a suggestion for the mod, or to FM authors in general. Any time you have a scene where there is a light source hanging from a chain or something, it should be swingable. I think this adds to the immersion quite a bit.

Bump into it swingable? The swinging light sources are neat, especially in Pandora's Box where you had a moving patch of light cast by the lantern that you had to avoid.

A briefing can be text, text and graphics, or pure video. Might be nice to able to re-read once the game is underway. Meanwhile, mappers should make sure the essentials are carried forward into the objectives text and readables

Might be nice to able to re-read once the game is underway.

'Tis the case for Sotha's new one*.

I agree this would be a welcome convention.

*of two?

I think I said it before but got no response, so I´ll post it again

I almost feel like doing that here with my last post here herein. Maybe I shall soon should.

I was really tempted to use said trickery in the very Sotha mission I mention above. But I didn't. I was having too much fun!

And I hate them. Hate!

...So it was all kinds of excellence that it worked out I was having so much fun and didn't resort to the trickery...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Bump into it swingable? The swinging light sources are neat, especially in Pandora's Box where you had a moving patch of light cast by the lantern that you had to avoid.

Yes, in wind this is a very cool effect.

Bump into it swingable IS possible, however it requires different models that contain a skeleton set-up . Then we need to set up collision models (like an AI ragdoll).

When I got involved inthe mod we had looked into it a bit, but it's a bit time consuming and it does have impact on performance (when things get hit/move). Of course the performance hit isn't constant and unless you have 30 of them and the player is running around hitting them all...

At the time I made a bucket with moveable handle and we had decided it was probably too much to deal with along with just trying to get the mod released.

Now that the mod is released and performance has been improved (and you brought it up) I'm deffinately more interested in implementing some things like this. Still comes down to which items to do, and things like 'If I can bash this light with my sword and make it move why can't I bash that sign...'

So officially I don't know what the team's interest is, but personally I like the idea.. Still, time...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest