The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

Maybe players who are having problems with frob distance could create a bonus using the console or config file? It would probably break maps and be considered a cheat, but it would be an individual choice for people who can't get over chest difficulties, etc...

@Fidcal:

You should definitely include that in your future mission. Some very nice ideas you have there (visions and all that). But I think it´s more fitting then it´s used inside the storyline (or in Farrell-missions) rather than as a common tool for TDM overall. I guess this is so special that it could be lightly be overused if you see it in every mission...

As for the frobbing issues: I tested in the last mission and I got the best results as I leaned sideways! I should add that in the PlayerTip-thread...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Oh, and howsabout mines? Some people complained about them in the Glenham Tower feedback. Glenham is one of the few maps which have mines available for the player.

Mines probably should have some kind of proximity sensor instead of step-on-activation. It really difficult to place a mine so the victim AI truly steps on it.

And it would be nice to be able to pick up the mine if it's placed in the wrong place. In previous thief games the mine could be disarmed by sneaking up to it and picking it with the lockpicks.

Also a gas mine would be also cool addition to the player's arsenal, and more commonly used than the explosive one because of it non-lethalness.

It would provide interesting opportunities for map design, if LIVE mines could also be placed by the mapper.

This issue surely is know by the team, but I'm just checking.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I vaguely recall reading you can pick up mines but I'm not sure. Anything in the wiki player guide? Dunno if there is a proximity property. Someone might know. I've not paid attention to them because I've not thought to use them. But one should know how even if rarely used.

Oh, and howsabout mines? Some people complained about them in the Glenham Tower feedback. Glenham is one of the few maps which have mines available for the player.

Mines probably should have some kind of proximity sensor instead of step-on-activation. It really difficult to place a mine so the victim AI truly steps on it.

And it would be nice to be able to pick up the mine if it's placed in the wrong place. In previous thief games the mine could be disarmed by sneaking up to it and picking it with the lockpicks.

Also a gas mine would be also cool addition to the player's arsenal, and more commonly used than the explosive one because of it non-lethalness.

It would provide interesting opportunities for map design, if LIVE mines could also be placed by the mapper.

This issue surely is know by the team, but I'm just checking.

Could you please check the tracker and if the issues are not reported, report them?

As with the mines, I must confess, in my first attempts I did not know that throwing mines activates them, but dropping does not, so I dropped the mines into my hand, then dropped them on the floor, then wondered why the zombies didn't make them explode... and I had no way recovering the mine because it was under the feet of a zombie. Oops :)

Does our training mission have mines and do you get readable explaining how they work? Or do we at least have that one the wiki?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

From the wiki:

Place a mine by selecting it in inventory and hitting Use. A short tap will drop the mine at your feet. Holding down Use will throw the mine further away. Once activated in this way, a mine is armed and will go off if stepped on. If you use the Drop key to put the mine down, it is not armed.

Mines are currently not very sensitive and AI can occasionally step right over them or even kick them without setting them off. Note that you can set mines off by shooting them with an arrow.

I agree it would be nice to be able to pick mines back up, especially since throwing them is very hit or miss. If you don't get them to land in the right spot you've essentially wasted it, as you can't retrieve it to try again.

Although, I have to say that they worked very well for me in Glenham. I've learned to throw them places where there is something to bounce off of if they go too far. And there's always the arrow method if AI are just not setting it off.

Another idea would be to have a nice "splat!" sound when the player does something stupid and falls to his death (as I often do). That way, when we fall off a high ledge and hit the bottom, we hear more than just the scream.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Do bodies really make a splat when dropped from a height? Have you tested this out? blink.gif

It's kindof a SPLAT - KERTHUMP but it's hard to say all at once.

And it really depends on other mitigating factors, velocity, height, weight of falling object, does object bounce off anything on the way down, and of course landing.

Flat on back, belly flop, head shot.

The problem is trying to program all these components so that you always get a realistic sound. Well, that's half the problem anyway, the other half is finding volunteers to fall of buildings in various yet precise ways so that you can get accurate recordings of each sound. (without people in the background screaming 'don't do it, it's not worth it!')

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

the other half is finding volunteers to fall of buildings in various yet precise ways so that you can get accurate recordings of each sound. (without people in the background screaming 'don't do it, it's not worth it!')

Don't forget the laborious chore of clearing all the bodies at the bottom of tall buildings so that they don't muffle the sound of future test subjects. The things we do for game development. rolleyes.gif

when people in real life jump off tall buildings if they reach maximum velocity (9.5 meters per second or 120mph if horizontal or 180mph if vertical) then when they hit the ground they resemble a large pizza, they never show it in movies or tv what would really happen its too gruesome, when king kong fell off the empire state building in the original film he would have gone splat resembling a large red pizza of meaty gorilla chunks. its due to 98 percent of a human body being water, drop a water bomb off a building and see if it goes splat.

when people in real life jump off tall buildings if they reach maximum velocity (9.5 meters per second or 120mph if horizontal or 180mph if vertical) then when they hit the ground they resemble a large pizza, they never show it in movies or tv what would really happen its too gruesome, when king kong fell off the empire state building in the original film he would have gone splat resembling a large red pizza of meaty gorilla chunks. its due to 98 percent of a human body being water, drop a water bomb off a building and see if it goes splat.

See, if only Pizza Hut had coincided their newest flavor 'Meaty Gorilla Chunks Lover Pizza' (a personaly favorite) with the latest King Kong release.

when people in real life jump off tall buildings... when they hit the ground they resemble a large pizza

Thanks for that, I was going to order a Pizza tonight. unsure.gif

maybee you change Ai voices in 1.03 ? I hate current TDM AI voices

Yeah, while you guys are at it, can you also change the engine and all the textures too? Kthnxbye.

Yeah, and please add a functionary third person view, will ya? But seriously, the playershadow would profit from that, could help to replace the lightgem and save FPS? :unsure:

Even more seriously:

Surely not the first time you hear this complaint, but the attack radius from spiders and zombies seem too high considering that the player-shortsword can´t hit them as they do hit the player?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Yeah, and please add a functionary third person view, will ya? But seriously, the playershadow would profit from that, could help to replace the lightgem and save FPS? :unsure:

Even more seriously:

Surely not the first time you hear this complaint, but the attack radius from spiders and zombies seem too high considering that the player-shortsword can´t hit them as they do hit the player?

Well that's the point, isn't it? Kill them from afar, or even better avoid them !

Thanks for that, I was going to order a Pizza tonight. unsure.gif

ROFL. Reminds me of falling off buildings in Deus Ex.

As far as the zombie attack range goes, the other day I picked up the sword and decided to fight one in a fan mission. I just stood far enough back so he couldn't hit me, prepared a swing, leaned in and hit it. It never touched me. Perhaps that's a bit cheap though. It was one of the FMs where you don't start with any gear, and after finding the sword, I just had to kill something. :)

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

There are some things I do not like about the way all the missions are maintained within TDM in general.

Right now there are ~35 missions are availlable and it is becoming difficult to figure out which one I might want to play next.

I would like to have some sort of way to mark them as 'played already'/'stuck'/'waiting for update' or at least an option to deactivate them so they no longer show up in the list.

However this would require another screen to reactivate them.

Not sure what exactly I want here (maybe sorting by author ?).

Another thing would be about when an update comes in on a FM.

Right now you would have to exchange both previous *.pk4 files in the fms folder and the one in the ${DOOM3}-main-folder (or figure out/recall which one to replace and delete the other one)

Then you would still need to delete the readme.txt and darkmod.txt in order to make sure that the mission-description that you see in TDM is updated as well.

Or do you actually have to copy it there ? I don't recall right now.

Also, I don't like that each FM generates its own subfolder under ${DOOM3} and stays there forever.

I would imagine that all FM stuff would go into some specific folder structure like

${DOOM3}\darkmod\fms\${missionX}

${DOOM3}\darkmod\fms\${missionX}\savegames

or at least be moved to/from this place whenever installing/uninstalling a mission as needed.

if you uninstal the mission then all the files like darkmod txt are cleared.

However the seperate folders for FM's in the doom folder is how Doom handles mods. I don't think that can be fixed until source code is released. (As each FM is it's own 'mod' as far as Doom is concerned I believe)