The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

Three separate shortcut keys to bind making light gem or selected weapon or selected inventory otwm to present in hud or not present.

I know there is a permanent off/on for light gem but would be nice to be able to have it hidden and only brighten when player enters an area of light.

I've tried that and it's cool but when you select a new item it should at least for a moment pop up on the screen to show you which item used to like this well this sword and blackjack are visibly easy to identify as is the fire arrow other arrows are harder to identify and the inventory is easy enough to bind separate keys but not for special items.

To add to that it's funny to see the green aura around an item being used such as a lockpick when there is no lock pick in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen hahaha

• 4 weeks later...

I think the text under the object in the GUI should be only displayed for few seconds.

Does the grid GUI have ability to show weapons in grid but not show weapons in corner of screen?

I can get the weapons and inventory to appoint with opacity that they are not too much of a visual impairment however the health bar when that becomes to transparent it's hard to tell the exact amount of health the player has.

I'm also thinking the possibility of a smaller-sized light gem.

I believe this suggestion was already made a couple of times. The probelm here is to tell the AI that it is the palyer's shadow and not get alerted by each shadow in the game. Also, why would the AI be alerted by a human shadow? It could also be any other person.

It makes sense that it could be another person shadow but if I saw a shadow approaching from behind I would turn around and see who it was especially if my job was to be on patrol.

I list all kinds of random pipe dreams for this mod. I doubt most of them will ever happen unless I learned what it takes to make that happen which I am slowly learning more butt this is just a suggestion thread and I share my mind here.

Oh, it was not meant to discourage suggestions. This is what this thread is for, after all ;)

I agree, that it would be more realistic that an AI would react to shadows. However, I still believe that it is not possible (or at least really difficult) to define a source of a shadow. And without this, the AI will react to every shadow it sees (which is a LOT of shadows).

Some thoughts on the "react to shadows" idea:

• entities can only cast shadows if they are inside a light volume
  • the shadow is also only cast in that light volume
  • this means, that if the ai should react to a shadow cast by someone behind it, it has to be inside that light volume either

This thoughts lead to the following possible setup

• every ai emits a stim with a range roughly at the size of the largest light volume in the map (except the ambient_world light, of course)
  • every ai can respond to that stim coming from other ai
  • if such a stim is received by an ai not inside the ai's fov, check which light volumes (from shadow casting lights) the other ai is in (this is doable, as every light emits a light stim, which would have to be registered on the ai as well)
  • check if the ai itself is inside that light volume
  • if so, do a directional check to see whether the shadow is casted towards the direction of our ai
  • if this is the case, react to the shadow and add the ai that caused the reaction on an ignore list, where it stays for a while to avoid permanent reactions

Other ai should also be added to said ignore list if our ai has seen it shortly before. The player should also cause such reactions for consistency, but player shadows can be disabled, so ...

Conclusion: All in all this is doable, but for what benefit. I don't see how this would add to gameplay.

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

AI reacting to shadows is an interesting idea: It would definitely add more realism, but at the same time might be difficult to implement as well as add even more difficulty.

If we're talking AI realism, here is a fun little thing I noticed: An enemy AI that doesn't see you will react to noises you make, saying things like "what's that sound" and turning around... but a friendly AI will not! The AI shouldn't technically know whether someone making a noise is a friend or a foe, unless it has seen the source and hasn't forgotten it. Technically, if you make a noise behind a friendly AI, it too should be alarmed and turn around, until seeing that you are an ally and ignoring further noises you make for some time. This is actually a lot more obvious, and it would be interesting if a clean solution could be thought of.

I also think there should be a random set of intervals where if you make a noise 4 get seen for a brief moment that the enemy will not notice you at all and chalk it up to just being something else in the environment or their mind playing tricks on them like something random once every so often just like when you pickpocket there is a chance that they won't notice for not notice

I also think there should be a random set of intervals where if you make a noise 4 get seen for a brief moment that the enemy will not notice you at all and chalk it up to just being something else in the environment or their mind playing tricks on them like something random once every so often just like when you pickpocket there is a chance that they won't notice for not notice

Being seen: Depending on lighting, an AI might only register that he's seen something odd, and his alert level rises, but only enough to become suspicious.

Pickpocketing not being noticed is regulated by "chanceNoticePickedPocket". It defaults to 50%.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1128r9v.jpg

Here's a little proposal for expanding the Dark Mod Universe Lore:

Why? Cause I think the current Lore is too safe. The game needs more extremes for inspiration, more shock value and more controversy. Taquito is all about controversy and making people talk. ;)

35ckh2d.jpg

1. Plague:

As part of the Deus Ex winning formula. The Dark Mod needs a specific Plague (Dark Plague, Dark Death?) As an invisible yet present enemy in the subconsciousness of the player's mind, adding atmosphere and much more dreaded feel in the game as well as a great element for Artistic Direction or Aesthetic element.

-Piles of bodies or infected burned bodies appear all around in the city. Infected were often thrown out of the City gates or escaped to the sewers.

-The ones with infected families could not go out and have their houses marked with red paint.

2ahgt8i.jpg

2. The most Precious Material:

Bridgeport should gravitate towards a precious gem or material that is the most important for the empire. This precious stone, gem or material is both mined and directly sent to the Empire. Failure to administrate this good correctly is considered death and its a vital item for the Empire's growth. Highest priority of the Empire.

-Mine workers are often caught carrying this and are immediately executed (hanged or burned alive).

-All sort of thieves are also caught, even some disguised as priests carrying the precious material inside sacred small wood statues.

-Every one getting in or out City Gates are checked for carrying this precious material.

-Captured Pagans are often used to mine this precious material in concordance between Builder Church and Empire

mhrgcp.jpg

3. Slavery: Pagans

Pagans are considered the scum of the Land according to the Builder Church. Often hanged or burned alive. The Builder Church has no mercy on heretic Pagans.

-Pagans often live inside City Gates hiding their identities. Whole families pretended faith to the Builder but hide their stone figures inside chests deep inside their homes where they practice their heretic ways in secrecy.

-Pagans living inside Gates often use last names relative to stones or flowers in order to identify between themselves and often talked or wrote in codes to communicate with each other without raising suspicion.

-Being related or coming from a Pagan Family no matter how long ago or how far back the traces are is frowned upon.

moors.jpg

4. Moors: Like the Dutch to the Spanish.

-Enemies of the Empire. Moors look for ways to access this precious material and will pay huge amounts of goods in order to attain a piece of the cake.

-They look for ways to sabotage the empire and often use thieves to do so.

-Their ships are often located in hidden bays far from the City waiting patiently for the arrival of anyone capable of bringing them the precious item out of the Gates.

-Moors are looked upon as Pirates to the Empire. A pest hungry for the precious gem but not strong enough to be considered a threat to the Empire.

2chvyx1.jpg

5. Witches/ Necros: Same thing

-Instead of making Necros who lived far secluded from the City. Making a similar approach to the Pagans yet combining the Necromancy and Witchcraft altogether.

-Witches live secretly inside City gates, have a secret sect where they service their evil God. (have to come up with a name) and believe to be an active element into bringing this evil being back from the pits of Hell by indirectly creating havoc and building this Perfect and powerful vessel out of human parts.

-Witches often service noble people in secrecy with weird concoctions or powerful love potions to clients with deep pockets.

-Due to the nature of their work and the constant threat of the church, witches often ask for help to thieves in order to collect these parts or simply make a quick hand if they become victims of black mail by an unsatisfied costumer by placing a diabolic or pagan figurine into their ex clients abodes and making sure the Inquisitor gets a hint. ;)

-Witches and Necros often act as the most devoted Builder believers or even act as priests of the Church. They like to be close to the enemy and they take great joy in their bold activities.

-Witches and Necros are the smartest (Probably the only ones) of Bridgeport and very hard to cross, deceive or get caught.

210f4i1.jpg

6. Wizards/ Mages: A thing of the past.

-With technology, Mages are now considered useless and obsolete.

-Mages live far outside the city as Kings of their own castles, more like rustic abandoned castles taken over by nature with no electricity and often in poverty.

-Most Mages only live with one Page or one Mage Apprentice who not only cared for the well being of the Mage but the whole abandoned castle. Which obviously were not enough for the big task. These talent less apprentices were often used by mages as personal slaves in exchange for little knowledge given by them.

-What mages lack in Guards and Security of their castles, they got in all sort of Magical beings like Fire elemental (should be directly correlated to Mages as their creations) as well as traps to guard their precious treasures.

-Mage castles often have precious antiques or artifacts highly priced by Nobles and Moors. So it shouldn't be a surprise to see thieves in the look for special items.

2lbp4cm.jpg

7. Prostitution: Cause it's necessary (Jobs)

-Prostitution is a vital part of Bridgeport's economy. Considered ilegal by the Empire, yet pretty much ignored by law.

-Even if its frowned upon by Church. It seem to be a way to keep the women of good from the clutches of lust and dark desires of men.

-Prostitutes work in taverns and are busy all day and night. Often had a bucket of dirty water beside the bed to clean up in between clients so they don't get ill between the legs as they say in Bridgeport.

-Most of the clientele are Guards, Noblemen and even Builder Priests who visit way late at night were most clients are long gone.

vp90r4.jpg

8. Vampires: Cause why not?

-Some say Vampires live deep hidden in the Sewers below the city and are secretly organized.

-Vampire attacks are often reported

-Not much is known or talked about of this tho :ph34r:

Idade+Media+Agricultura+trigo+e+feitor.j

9. Racism and Classicism: Slavery

-Obviously wealth is the most important thing in Bridgeport.

-Having a name is almost as important. Being the daughter or son of General this or Sargent Mayor that can get you places.

-Marriages are arranged by class level. Marriages between social classes are frowned upon and extra marital Romances and Love stories with different classes are topics of romantic novels and gossip.

-Having a Pagan or Moor in your blood line is a stain in the family and it will be kept secret, if not, it will be constantly reminded by society. No matter how far back it was.

-Pagans are the scum of society. Often used for service or slavery.

10. Miscellaneous stuff

- People were just dirty. They rarely took baths and used a concoction of herbs to keep their breath fresh although still dirty for special occasions.

- Women of good hated Prostitutes but had to keep quiet about it in fear to be left alone by their husbands

- Women with good families, wealth or name will marriage first. Not being married past a certain age is almost as being cursed

- Pagans spoke their own dialects and are seen as the same thing even if they came from different tribes.

- Pagans who worked as service in a nobleman family often mixed certain herbs with food to make them sleep deeply in order to make their heretic activities at night without getting caught.

- People actually believed in ghosts and all sort of stories. (Ghost can serve as some sort of envisioned element or clue to a story or path. Similar to System Shock or other games).

- People often trusted and often wrote complaining letters to the Inquisitor or Patriarch way more than the Emperor. The Emperor was more looked upon as mostly interested in exploiting the rich material before mentioned.

I think this is it. Hope it serves as point of discussion and in no way it means these elements should be implemented but rather serve as point to enrich the lore. English is not my first language so my apologies if some grammar errors. :rolleyes:

Edited by Taquito
  • Like 2

I think the idea of a precious mineral is perfect, but not for the main city.

It's a perfect excuse for an entire second setting, an explosion of economic bubble and a good reason for mining aesthetic I don't see too terribly much of.

Also, potentially bright for difficulty?

• Like 1

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

A fan ought to write a whole lore bible that can serve as inspiration. Then we can peer review it and change it as needed.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think the idea of a precious mineral is perfect, but not for the main city.

It's a perfect excuse for an entire second setting, an explosion of economic bubble and a good reason for mining aesthetic I don't see too terribly much of.

Also, potentially bright for difficulty?

Rather than a complete second setting, a second location would be more desirable since the point of the proposal is to sort of concentrate all the elements inside the City except the Mages since it's more interesting to keep them away. The perfect location could be a mine outside close to Bridgeport so Bridgeport could serve for administration and storage of the precious gem before it's sent to the Empire.

Edited by Taquito

Rather than a complete second setting, a second location would be more desirable since the point of the proposal is to sort of concentrate all the elements inside the City except the Mages since it's more interesting to keep them away. The perfect location could be a mine outside close to Bridgeport so Bridgeport could serve for administration and storage of the precious gem before it's sent to the Empire.

You ought to keep the notes for the purpose of possibly doing an FM yourself in this setting! Who knows how things change, and where we end up at.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson