The Dark Mod Forums

Idea regarding DR - token props and items

mike mayday

Greetings!

I was looking around the various missions already created and checking out what models could/should be added when a terrifying thought hit me- if players wanted to benefit from the new models in the already created missions, mappers would have to remake and update the missions!

The obvious solution would be to implement some object oriented categories:

-let the mapper place a token object on the map (like token_zombie or token_small_shelf_object or token_epic_loot) and make TDM place a specific item/creature from a list of definitions. So if some mapper places a token_zombie on his map and a few days later I create a clothed zombie model, those players who update their model database will see the model in-game, alongside the already existing ones.

Thoughts on this? If you think it's okay then the sooner it's implemented the better- (the sooner mappers will be able to start placing token objects, the more maps will get varied props in time, with no further effort on the mappers' side).

Edited by mike mayday

A system that tokenizes models/entities cant really be achieved, we would require additions to be made to the map compiler and a lot of effort in maintaining manifests or such.

Thats why when content is added it is more or less in a final state and should not be re-purposed under the same name etc at a later date. To create variations of your hypothetical zombie you would use skinning or add a duplicate (tho this can inherit).

This does make life harder, but at the same time it constrains us to produce high quality material :)

(It's also why I have to work with texture scaling very carefully, I cant put in replacement high res without making sure it matches with expectations)

As a mapper, I would also be a bit leery of someone "updating" my vision. I put a lot of thought into texture choice, object selection and placement and lights because I have a certain mood in mind. It's not a problem if 5 years down the line, the guard models are updated with superhigh-poly ones to reflect changes in technological standards, that's okay. To an extent, even textures, although as Serpentine has noted, that has to be done very carefully. But I would like to have older missions remain reasonably intact, and see all the new toys in newer ones.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Melan has got it spot on.

TDM was released when it was because the team wanted to make sure that existing maps wouldn't be "broken" or inadvertently changed as The Dark Mod evolves and updates. The same would apply here.

Although a "token_random_shelf_object" entitydef is possible. And it might be useful for if I ever happen to feel lazy while mapping. ;)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

That idea would be far more trouble than it's worth. Every corresponding model would have to have the same origin, dimensions and rotation. And it couldn't be used any time the type of object actually mattered (imagine if the kitchen knife I placed in my psychopath's torture room turned into another "token kitchen object" like a wooden spoon), so you're essentially using it only for window-dressing. Who cares if maps aren't using the latest generic prop models as window dressing? Mappers who were really concerned about that could update their map in far less time than it would take to create randomizing entities.