The Dark Mod Forums

*sigh*

Guest Rottenberry

Sapphire Scar has taken a major blow losing one of the leads too.

Imo... Saphire Scar will also die... nearly no1 from the founders is still there...

I have no problem with criticism, but I'd like to ask that diametrical untruths not be spread about my pet pass-time.

I was part of The Shock Project team initially, but I bailed because I felt they were too disorganised (and I was v.impressed to see them continue for so long). But the other issue for me was. . . the plot. We had so many plot ideas and no one could agree on anything. In the end they kept what I felt were some really ghey ideas (mostly because I hate stupid science, sci-fi fine, stupid science no).

Yeah, TSP seemed like quite the juggernaut in the day. One of sscar's members (Yorick) was a large part of TSP, and we even inherited some of their assets as a result -- mainly music. And while our road towards a coherent plot hasn't been free of hazards, I like to think that we managed to avoid the more serious problems due to lessons learned from TSP.

------------------------------------------

Anyhow, to the subject at hand. It's unfortunate that D3:HoE won't be completing their journey -- I was quite looking forward to an open, large-terrain version of the sci-fi horror genre, especially with their lovely cityscape concept art. But the unfortunate reality is that the mod world is one of attrition. Much of this has been discussed on doom3world.org as well; incidentally, some of the projects on that site (especially "Doom 3 Can Do It Too") are doing a great job of advocating the Doom 3 engine.

As has been mentionned earlier, Dark Mod is (from what I gather, at least) first and foremost a conversion/tool kit -- as such, it doesn't suffer the challenges of creating, and then working within a cogent storyline. I've seen some pretty impressive stuff from you guys so far, and I anticipate much more!

-Glee

As has been mentionned earlier, Dark Mod is (from what I gather, at least) first and foremost a conversion/tool kit -- as such, it doesn't suffer the challenges of creating, and then working within a cogent storyline. I've seen some pretty impressive stuff from you guys so far, and I anticipate much more!

-Glee

Oh no, trust me...we know only too well the challenges of coming up with a good story, specially a story everyone likes. ;)

Anyway, the project is sorta half and half. On one end we're making the toolset and a few standalone missions to go along with it, but on the other end we're already starting to bake up ideas for our campaign. In the end it's worked out pretty well, we have alot of freedom to design our stuff so we're actually getting some things done faster than we would if we stuck to a campaign from the beginning.

I'd love to be proved wrong Gleemonex. Thing is, I think that SS is a larger endeavour than TDM. At least with TDM as long as a couple of demo missions are made success will still be achieved. SS has to be a conversion of gametype and gameplay mechanics AND a campaign. I hope there is FM potential in it too.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Anyway, the project is sorta half and half. On one end we're making the toolset and a few standalone missions to go along with it, but on the other end we're already starting to bake up ideas for our campaign. In the end it's worked out pretty well, we have alot of freedom to design our stuff so we're actually getting some things done faster than we would if we stuck to a campaign from the beginning.

It sounds like the best of both worlds, really =) I'd imagine that you can use the TDM tools to put together mission maps quite rapidly too.

I'd love to be proved wrong Gleemonex.

Proved wrong about what?

Thing is, I think that SS is a larger endeavour than TDM.

Absolutely -- it would be foolish for us to underestimate our charge. It's a disadvantage in one respect, because it's more daunting and time-consuming. But there is a larger variety of activities to be undertaken, so there's always something to be done or explored or discussed. "Concurrent activity", they call it in the military ("activité concommittante" in French).

I hope there is FM potential in it too.

There are no plans for it as yet, but it's not been ruled out. However, because SScar is an original world, there's probably far less interest in FMs than a world like TDM which draws on well-established genres (not the least of which, the medieval genre).

That's one of the things I was looking forward to with D3:HoE; a fresh perspective on a known genre.

-Glee

The mod I was involved with (for morrowind children of the night 3) fell apart for a very simple and admitedly stupid reason. All of us were busy working on our respected parts, I was an interior builder and 3dmax object maker and we didnt realise only one person on the team knew the whole plot and had the info needed to bring it all together. When he had to leave through no fault of his own we tried to continue but with the main plot having holes in it we couldnt.

It was rather disheartening as I had put about a years work into it and built about sixty interiors and nearly 100 objects.

The remaining team decided to halt work until oblivion and restsrt, as strangly oblivion has a very similar plot to ours :blink:

My point being it is very easy for small things like this to ruin great mods. I just hope those mods for doom3 dont make the same mistake as we did. write everything down for other to see. You may only have one or two writers but they can leave too.

Proved wrong about what?

About my expressed doubts for SS.

I think that people will want to FM for SS. Look at SS2. We all wanted to FM for it (after I left TSP I started an FM that had nothing to do with SS2). RL stopped me. But there will be others, I'm sure. SS2 has a large fan base after all.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

My point being it is very easy for small things like this to ruin great mods. I just hope those mods for doom3 dont make the same mistake as we did. write everything down for other to see. You may only have one or two writers but they can leave too.

That's exactly what a design document is for. Luckily, we acquired a dedicated project manager very early on (he's been with us since the SS2:R days). The importance of a ddoc in a mod is difficult to overstate.

Proved wrong about what?

About my expressed doubts for SS.

As do I!

I think that people will want to FM for SS.

If the interest makes itself known, I don't see why we couldn't create the opportunity. Thanks for the food for thought.

-Glee