The Dark Mod Forums

Bridgeport set in stone

pigtailsboy

Is there a copy of that map in higher resolution? The wiki doesn't have one.

b, which real city is the overview picture based on?

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Is there a copy of that map in higher resolution? The wiki doesn't have one.

Both those maps can be found in the gui folder under assets/maps, I believe. I don't have a non-dds copy.

which real city is the overview picture based on?

It's a reversed image of medieval Constantinople, which is a good stand-in for Bridgeport.

I think we need to tread carefully here. I've always felt (and I know that others feel the same) that part of the reason that The City is so successful in The-Game-That-Shares-A-Number-Of-Striking-Similarities-With-TDM-But-Whose-Name-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned is that it is a vast, sprawling mess of a city, filled with hidden nooks and corners that even if you'd lived there all your life, you probably would never know about. The key element of this is the unknown scale of The City and the fact that street maps aren't readily available. The fact that you didn't know how far apart the missions were allowed you to feel immersed in a real and enormous city. Think of the third installment of That Game. The City Hub was a wildly unpopular idea when carried out, as it made The City feel tiny and lifeless.

Although I agree that we could do with some history and a feel for the quarters a bit better, for the love of Pete please vote no on fine detail.

• Like 2

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

I share that view. The more unknown it is, the bigger it seems. I like the idea of some common landmarks like a clocktower or whatever can be seen off in the distance, past the line of buildings in the missions, where you won't be able to actually visit them.

bambini: excellent point!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Seems like an appropriate time and place to bring this up. How does everyone feel about incorporating Bridgeport 'landmarks' in an FM. Like...say.... the Builders' Grand Cathedral?

The one that Fidcal Serpentine is making? I'd really like it. To have it as a background texture (not a model) would cost no performance and provide a lot of immersion. I like the idea.

Edited by 7upMan

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Seems like an appropriate time and place to bring this up. How does everyone feel about incorporating Bridgeport 'landmarks' in an FM. Like...say.... the Builders' Grand Cathedral?

If you're talking about making an FM around the Builder's Grand Cathedral, would suggest that such a task should be reserved for skilled modders. I don't want to discourage anyone from modding what they want to mod (and hey, it has do be done by someone:)) I just think that such a landmark would be a key feature of Bridgeport (and would be incredibly complex), so it's important to do it justice.

Ungoliant, I don't know whether you're a brilliant modder or not, but either way I wonder if you should collaborate with someone like Fidcal (or even better, several modders) on a task like The Grand Cathedral. It also has the advantage of breaking up a massive job so that a truly huge level can be made :)

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

The one that Fidcal Serpentine is making? I'd really like it. To have it as a background texture (not a model) would cost no performance and provide a lot of immersion. I like the idea.

no, i mean to visit it.

If you're talking about making an FM around the Builder's Grand Cathedral, would suggest that such a task should be reserved for skilled modders. I don't want to discourage anyone from modding what they want to mod (and hey, it has do be done by someone:)) I just think that such a landmark would be a key feature of Bridgeport (and would be incredibly complex), so it's important to do it justice.

Ungoliant, I don't know whether you're a brilliant modder or not, but either way I wonder if you should collaborate with someone like Fidcal (or even better, several modders) on a task like The Grand Cathedral. It also has the advantage of breaking up a massive job so that a truly huge level can be made :)

I never said I was asking my own behalf ;). Also at this moment in time, creating the exterior of the BGC is not in the plans, so there shouldn't be any problems with using BGC as a 'background texture'. Also a truly 'huge' level is not in the plans (for BGC). In fact, BGC would not be the meat and potatoes of the mission, so far. Story elements might be tweaked to put the larger emphasis on BGC, but I kind of like it the way it is. no more spoilers, thats all you get.

I have no idea what its name/intended use will be, it's Bikerdude's call. I however don't think that it quite qualifies as a grand cathedral. It's just impressive looking inside :)

As for skybox objects, I think that it's a great idea if we could get people to make skybox versions of 'landmark' type stuff, that way authors can add them to their skyboxes and shift position etc as they see fit.

• 10 years later...
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Thanks for the posts!

But I hoped to get an actual overview of the real districts of and locations in Bridgeport as in the lore of TDM and maybe created by FMs.

Otherwise I then guess these are the only officially "released" or documented districts?
https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=The_City (bottom of the page)

@ Zerg Rush: Are you the artist that made this map? It is exceptionally well made, my compliments. If it's yours, would you be willing to add some Bridgeport districts and locations to this map?

18 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

Although I am an old man with poor eyesight and I can hardly contribute with any mission, at least I would like to do it with other contributions that may serve.

VVzhc9hj_o.png

48 minutes ago, Jetrell said:

@ Zerg Rush: Are you the artist that made this map? It is exceptionally well made, my compliments. If it's yours, would you be willing to add some Bridgeport districts and locations to this map?

I've paste simply a old map from Constantinople in a pergament vector which I've found in the web, using the Lunapic online editor. Nothing special, everybody can do this. (Lunapic also has a extension for browser "Right click edit with Lunapic" which you can find in your browser store. Very practical, it allows you to edit an image from the web before sharing it with a few clicks)

UjiB7el.png

More nice and free online apps in my signature  6GIqErR.gif

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉