The Dark Mod Forums

Sculptris 3d modeling

Irenices

Niiiiiiice! Thanks for this.

I went straight to download it, instantly fired it up, and it's so intuitive that I had imported a doodle into Blender five minutes later. I might try and make something fun and then retopo it.  :)

I really need to get around to importing things with TDM. I am actually kind of confused by it, but that's a story for another thread.

If the reply to these questions are too complex to be easily summed-up then please just say so...

I'm interested in this as it appears to be something "built from the ground up" that y'all are touting as easy and fun.

So, are there some standards that 3d modelers output, and is this able to do so, or is it proprietary?

...which, I suppose, leads me to a more general question that may answer a lot of questions I have:

Why do you need to bring Blender and/or Lightwave into the "mix"? What do they do? What are the basic steps involved in 3d modeling?

I'm hoping (simplified as the response I'm hoping for):

1. Get 2d image

2. Import into 3d modeling software

3. Massage results (as with, say, OCR)

4. (very vague but something I have a guess at) Generate bump-maps (lighting?), collision-maps (simplified versions {poly-wise} of the more complex visual models), skin-maps (textures), to be laid over the wire-frame created in steps 1-3

5. Export into a nice universally recognized set of files that can be "imported" (accessed and processed) by D3 (or whatever)

And finally, as I'm betting that these questions are not easily answered, and I might get some pointers to TOMES... can we just get this out of the way? Very simply:

Is the whole thing still a bit of a mess, wherein the lingo is not even standardized (eg, patches ~= textures; bump-maps vs collision models vs wire-frames vs meshes vs...) and another set of unnecessarily confusing terms?

Basically is this all going to frustrate the hell out of me if I delve in? :laugh:

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

You need basic knowledge of another modeling program capable of opening .obj-s cause the result of Sculptris is extremely high polycount(too detailed ) that needs lowering for ingame use, also that optimized model needs an uv-map ( like the model unfolded so textures can be painted on).

The rest you say is mostly like as that.

Its not really importing 2d into 3d and massaging, its more like looking at 2d(or just thinking about it:) ) and creating 3d according to that.

Edited by _Atti_

I gave it a try and it feels nice.

I saw something in the video that intrigued me, he seems to be able to create more geometry on the fly (with a horrible topology, but who cares!) but I couldn't reproduce or even find a list of features.

Can the app do rectangular/regular objects, or is it specifically for playdoh-style models?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I saw something in the video that intrigued me, he seems to be able to create more geometry on the fly (with a horrible topology, but who cares!) but I couldn't reproduce or even find a list of features.

There's a "Detail" slider. When it's moved to the right drawing, grabbing or rotating adds more tris. And you can reduce or increase amount of polys selectively using a brush. It's so much better than sculpting in Blender. It feels and looks like real sculpting. I love it. This what I made so far. It's done from scratch in Sculptris:

post-2001-127482832387_thumb.jpg

It's only a model...

Thanks for the info Arcturus :)

Even being simpler than Mudbox and Zbrush this is very innovative feature! I don't remember seeing it in any other soft.. and it fits really well with my workflow. I first make the high res mesh then model the low res on top of the highres, so the topology doesn't really matter.

I'm getting it now! thanks Irenices!

EDIT: hey, just played around with it for a couple of hours, sculpting a head.

To be honest, I'd rather shell out the cash for zbrush, which to me feels more intuitive and gives you better control over subdivision levels. I did however like the vertex reducing tool :)

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

That's what I was about to ask. How does this size-up compared to Zbrush? I mean, putting aside that it's free. But for me it's sort of an academic question anyway, since having played with Zbrush a lot in the past, I got used to its interface so will probably stay with it. (Same with Lightwave; I'm just so used to its interface at this point.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

have a look over at the forum

Tron's showcase and the 30 odd page sculpture thread have some really good stuff in them.

Standing up to zbrush is a different issue, I think zbrush deals better with inorganic looking stuff, however it does require a lot more effort and time in comparison. I dont think a 3mb free app is going to try and rival it any time soon, but the developer seems to be pretty damn talented and at the rate of tool introduction/improvement, it's something to keep your eyes on :)

Standing up to zbrush is a different issue, I think zbrush deals better with inorganic looking stuff

Zbrush is also more appropriate for organic modeling, the differences are: ZB has hundreds of features, harder to work and more expensive.

I prefer Mudbox, though. Zbrush is a good software, it was the first to introduce this concept of high definition modeling but it's so not practical! it has the most useless set of features I have ever seen in a 3d software, followed by the most alien user interface. Mudbox was made with exactly that in mind: a software uniquely made for high definition modeling. It feels just like Maya or 3ds max, only here we make highres models and nothing else.

Sculptris does the basics and it's free! :D Also, the ability to subdivide the mesh with the brush is really cool!

Zbrush is also more appropriate for organic modeling, the differences are: ZB has hundreds of features, harder to work and more expensive.

I prefer Mudbox, though. Zbrush is a good software, it was the first to introduce this concept of high definition modeling but it's so not practical! it has the most useless set of features I have ever seen in a 3d software, followed by the most alien user interface. Mudbox was made with exactly that in mind: a software uniquely made for high definition modeling. It feels just like Maya or 3ds max, only here we make highres models and nothing else.

Sculptris does the basics and it's free! :D Also, the ability to subdivide the mesh with the brush is really cool!

But from what I've read, mudbox has less capabilities for painting and texturing sculptures, is that true?

I dunno, i found zbrush to be pretty cool, after about 3-4 days use, i came up with this a year an a bit ago http://sim-mo.deviantart.com/art/My-first-Zbrush-attempt-115245398?q=gallery%3ASIM-MO%2F4812013&qo=24

I liked it.

I still respect sculptris, It's pretty cool for freeware, I might end up using it to cut costs.

18588.png

But from what I've read, mudbox has less capabilities for painting and texturing sculptures, is that true?

Yes! But, at least for now, for projects pursuing high quality, photoshop is still the best tool for that (ZB or Mudbox is frequently used to paint over the seams of the UVs).

I dunno, i found zbrush to be pretty cool, after about 3-4 days use, i came up with this a year an a bit ago http://sim-mo.devian...2F4812013&qo=24

For a first try that is amazing! you have a good eye for volume :D

Yeah, I'm probably gonna be turning to photoshop for that kinda thing anyway, for obvious reasons...

I need to learn how to use mudbox anyway, because that's what they use in most colleges i have my eye around these parts.

For a first try that is amazing! you have a good eye for volume :D

Cheers!

EDIT: Today I played around with a trial version of mudbox 2011, and this is what i think.

It seems to have a friendly interface and manipulating the model is fairly intuitive.

Only problem I'm having is no auto-save which is strange for an autodesk product... I just lost 2 hours of work which didn't really bother me that much because i was mainly just testing it to see how well it would let me make a head, and as far as I know I had pressed the little save button thing down the bottom right. The thing that really annoys me is now I can't work out whether I can make this thing autosave, or perhaps where my work went!

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

• 1 month later...

I've finished the sculpture of Aphrodite:

render01.jpg

render02.jpg

render03.jpg

render04.jpg

It's my version of Aphrodite of Cnidus by Praxiteles: http://en.wikipedia....odite_of_cnidus . Original is lost so there are only copies. I took inspiration mostly from these two: http://commons.wikim..._Munich_258.jpg and http://www.katolik.h...praks.kopia.jpg

Model was done mostly in Sculptris. Only pedestal, pot and the background were made in blender. Texturing was done in Sculptris mostly (except pedestal which was done in Blender) with a little help of Gimp. It was rendered in Blender.

• Like 2

It's only a model...

And even that is not terribly bad.

Not *too* many polygons, I hope. A nice piece like this would look great in a grand statuary hall or garden.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.