The Dark Mod Forums

Map inspriration

Bikerdude

Aw great! Now you'll never finish yer FMS!!! :angry: ... :laugh:

BTW, I think "SP Serengrove - Tudor Town" might be using some TDM assets? (not to start any flames, just sayin' )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm already playing with the cathedral map, its got some great patch work.

And some very basic stainedglass templates which might do quite well.

Mailed the author to check if I have his permission, tho the readme does say that it's free to mod and what have you :)

Serengrove looks very interesting too!

I saw a Doom3World thread about it and it reminded me of TDM... Doesn't bother me either way but I thought I would mention it for anyone who might have a vested interest. I just wish there were more maps like Shamblers Castle and Gatehouse

Same here :-)

If you're interested in my changes :

• Changing all stone/etc to TDM assets; stainedglass will get 'new' ones made when I get some ideas of what to do.
  • Lowered the top roof a bit, nothing too hectic - just was no where near TDM scale... still quite far from TDM scale ;)
  • Raised the floor a liiiiitttle bit, pillars looked way too big.
  • Started work to allow rooms off the 2nd story and stairwell area, working on that at the moment.
  • Removed excess patchwork in some areas - it was just annoying to work with.
  • Removed a lot of caulk to allow easier modifications for entrances.
  • Removed 90% of the lights, tho they looked nice it wouldnt work in TDM

Still need to work out how to texture these patches nicely tho! some look a bit worse for wear.

I'm surprised that you guys haven't borrowed from some of those maps before... If you haven't looked into it, Gatehouse seems to have some architectural stuff that you might like (the author might be more sensitive about using 'em from the looks of the read-me though...) By the way you just HAVE to play Gatehouse while running Denton's Mod 2.02!!!

If you're interested in my changes :

Very nice serps, this should be added to the list of TDM approved prefab, kudos though to the original author - he/she must have been on a mission when they created this... When I emailed them, I recommend that both authors join our forum btw..

Ps. can you pm a download link for it when your done? as Ungolant has given me a monster story line and this cathedral may come in handy..

Edited by Bikerdude

Does 1.02 not have any white/grey brick we can use..?

Not that I've seen - However I'll be having a good look for some to put in.

Going to cut some parts out as prefabs and release the whole thing, but need to get the textures done first. If you want anything let me know tho :)

Actually I don't think very complex architecture like that should be part of prefabs, otherwise it will get overused and there will be a whole load of maps all with identical sections of cathedral.

Work like that is better off used once, as a show-piece in a single map.

That looks like the kind of hugeness that'll maybe call for some echo-effected footsteps? Wonder if rather than mess about with EAX (and whatnot), it might be something that can be done by just actually running the current set of footstep sounds through a filter and then including those (pre-"rendered" sounds) in the mission pak?

Awesome. Very awesome.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Going to cut some parts out as prefabs and release the whole thing, but need to get the textures done first. If you want anything let me know tho

I'd like to see whats bits your exporting and take it from there, I am looking along the lines of accessing the cathedral from the basement, as part oif the huge story line Ungolant has planed for my mission..

Since it was said that people would rather see it used in choice few places, I'd be happy for you to just use the whole thing. I'm not working on a mission that could use it and it's pretty much in a complete state now :)

I'll package it up tomorrow if that seems good - tho you will have to deal with placeholder stained glass for now, I'll sort those out sometime next week (an exam on Friday and want to get some mapping done this weekend)

I'll package it up tomorrow if that seems good - tho you will have to deal with placeholder stained glass for now, I'll sort those out sometime next week (an exam on Friday and want to get some mapping done this weekend)

Smashing, thanks Serps.. good luck with the exam btw

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been playing with Serengrove - Tudor Town, looking at how a few things were done.

The actual map has nothing that can really be chopped up for prefabs, it's more or less sub-par compared to most TDM construction... however! it does have some really nice assets including :

• A nice halberd model
  • Anvil model
  • Dinner table (large+table cloth) model
  • Chairs to go with that
  • Pretty cool bone-based cloth model that is animated (not 100% sure it reacts to player... think it might)
  • Horse model, its not like we already have two/three others!
  • Banister models
  • Large Cauldron model
  • Some lighting related models
  • Trade stall frame + cloth models, look really nice.

However still trying to get hold of the author for permission, he seems pretty cool tho :)

Gonna need to retexture most of it, but thats not too hard as we have a lot of easy replacement stuff.

sweet, i did have a look myself, but your far better placed to do this sort stuff...

regarding the cathedral btw, I've almost finished do the above ground part, this could be added to tdm prefabs as Ive spent ages getting every brush and decal perfectly aligned to facilitate perfect fps of 63, (no Ai at this point though, that would be a trifecta) I'll pm you the map ones its done.

• Pretty cool bone-based cloth model that is animated (not 100% sure it reacts to player... think it might)

Is that a real ragdoll -- Complete with AF and MD5mesh? Or is it just a plain-old animated md5mesh? If it's the former, I could play with its AF contents and joints to make with react to actors or movables.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair