The Dark Mod Forums

Where is 1.02 torrent?

vorob

Torrent / Alternate Download Methods

In the first few days and weeks after release, there will be a torrent available for people who prefer not to use the updater or have connection problems.

Get the torrent here: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/thedarkmod_1.01.torrent

Choose the download location C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod or ~/.doom3/darkmod in Linux.

After download, make sure you don't have duplicated the folders, like C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\darkmod or something.

You'll find an executable tdmlauncher.exe in your darkmod folder, i.e. C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe. Use this to start The Dark Mod.

To update TDM to receive future updates, just run the tdm_update.exe application found within the darkmod folder.

Why? I hate autoupdate crap. Want to download correctly compiled and assembled version. Instead of having old crap with update through some dos era console...

Why? I hate autoupdate crap. Want to download correctly compiled and assembled version. Instead of having old crap with update through some dos era console...

You want to download 2 gigs every time we update the mod?

We're trying to get the files organized in such a way that we can keep update sizes...smaller...the auto update does just that. This update is in the 500 meg range.

Just because it runs in a command line window does not make it DOS era....it simply lacks GUI because there is no need to complicate such a simple procedure.

• Like 1

Via the tdm_update perl script:

1. You still get the correct assembled version. In fact, running the exe will double-check your installation to make sure it's correct.

2. Would you rather download 2000 mb, or 500? ;)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Uhh... I played zork: grand inquisitor, does that make you feel better?

zgi ain't got nuthin on rtz. want some rye? course ya do!

edit: heres to us! whos like us? dammmn few! AND THEY'RE ALLLLLLL DEAD

Edited by ungoliant

Yes. If something happens to your autoupdater after 10 years (servers move or crash, some bugs occur etc) or something happens to my internet connection the day I will want to reinstall and play Dark Mod, I will be able to do so with the help of a fully assembled version already stored on my hard drive.

Edited by dSpair

Well, yes. Not a big problem. But i'll have fully upgraded, correct version which i can simply unpack and play. Not unpack and wait for an hour to update...

We're trying to get the files organized in such a way that we can keep update sizes

It's very good, but still not a number 1 priority. We are not living in cave and its not a 1999 year when 20mb was a gigantic size.

Would you rather download 2000 mb, or 500? 

You are not releasing new versions every week, so its not a problem to download 2gb in half a year. And yes, its more comfortable for me, cause i just download it and archive with something like "darkmod 1.0", then "darkmod 1.1"...

You already have a "fully assembled" version on your hard drive. This is what is used every time you play the mod.

I simply don't like auto-update feature. I also don't like service packs for windows. Its more comfortable for me to download new image of windows with already integrated SP.

And same story here, 1.02 released? Cool, shift+delete on darkmod folder and download new torrent.

Edited by vorob

I simply don't like auto-update feature. I also don't like service packs for windows. Its more comfortable for me to download new image of windows with already integrated SP.

And same story here, 1.02 released? Cool, shift+delete on darkmod folder and download new torrent.

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

It simply sounds like you perceive an update as inferior to downloading all the files over again to achieve the exact same result.

Using your windows example, I can see your point, but only because you're downloading and reinstalling the full operating system...which of course is going to leave you with a better running OS because it will have a clean registry and no fragmentation. In terms of updating something like Dark Mod, it really won't make any difference. In the end, you are going to end up with the exact same file structure. Your choice of course.

It simply sounds like you perceive an update as inferior to downloading all the files over again to achieve the exact same result.  

Using your windows example, I can see your point, but only because you're downloading and reinstalling the full operating system...which of course is going to leave you with a better running OS because it will have a clean registry and no fragmentation.  In terms of updating something like Dark Mod, it really won't make any difference.  In the end, you are going to end up with the exact same file structure.  Your choice of course.

Yep. I understand that using auto update, i'll have the same thing. It's only a question of habit... And my first post was not about critique of auto update feature, it was about "why when we have 1.02 allover the Internet official web page still don't have 1.02 torrent"...

I kind of see what D'spair means by archiving all the TDM releases. It's doesn't seem like a priority RITE NAOW, but it should be done if anyone around here has the space and bandwidth.

And vorob's point was close to my experiences. I scolded my college's network services to let me use the tdm_update.exe through their crappy proxy/firewall because I cannot torrent TDM (hooray for string-pulling!). It's good to have a second option.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair