The Dark Mod Forums

You've Caught My Eye...

Guest Jarvis

I just stumbled upon this site tonight. Nice. I think its great to see another mod being inspired by the greatest game ever made: Thief. Keep up the good work, I garuntee I'll be DLing this the day it's released.

I read in the FAQ that there isn't any multiplayer plans for this mod. I'm an avid thievery player... and I implore you to reconsider. Focus on the editor and campaign first of couse, but after that if you still have life in you it would be great to get another sneaky multiplayer game going.

Either way though, I support your efforts. I don't even own Doom 3... but I'll buy it just for this mod if you'll put it out for me.

Thanks a million times over!

Yeah I know... as I mentioned I'm an avid Thievery player and I'm well aware of Night-Blade. However it's focus is more on combat than what I prefer... I'm sure it will be fun but the more options I have the better.

Thievery was absolutely great, and still is. I still play it almost nightly, and I've been playing it for years, with a short break here and there. Thats uncommon for me.

I must add to this. I saw that nightblade has torches that cannot be taken out. Sadly it is no longer like thief. Though it will be a great combat game, one which will have my count in downloads. (it also has no real-time-dynamic-lighting) so it will not look as good as the dark mod. So i must second Jarvis in that if you ever find the time, then adding a multiplayer function (coop only though i think, to prevent extreme fps'ers playing and exploiting) would be greatly appreciated.

--Dram

THe great thing about this is that we'll be releasing all our assest and code, so anyone can take up the reigns are make new additons to the collective good of the dark mod community. I am Borg, you are Borg, we are Borg.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Thievery UT works really well as a REAL multiplayer Thief game. The only problem we found (at home on our LAN) is that guards tend to get bored - but to counter that, I always play the guard, and I am the only human guard in the entire level, the rest of the humans are thieves, and I use all the NPC guards to my advantage...

Being the expert thief player, I know all the tricks... and I really give those thieves a run for their money! They've only won 1 game over me so far!! We have a blast. And it's NOT combat oriented! It plays JUST like T2! Except I'm the role of the general, doing my patrols, checking up on all the other guards, making sure everything is in order, setting up traps and choke points, setting patrol routes, etc. etc.

It totally rocks. It really is "multiplayer Thief".

????

What do you mean "typical multiplayer, one against the others"?

Thievery is many against many. Last night there were 2 of us thieves and 2 human guards. They can give the AI guards orders though.

Dram - where did you hear that Nightblade will not have torches that can be taken out?

And judt FYI - Nightblade now has 3 (yes three) teams, Guards, Thieves and Shades, some supernatural blood drinker things also capable of Thief-like stealth.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

The basic multiplayer is either everybody against everybody else (DM) or one group kills the other one. But since I don't have UT I don't know much about it anyway.

Not at all. You either join the guards or the thieves, and while the thieves can DM the guards if they like... their actual objectives include loot and special treasures and the like.

As for me, I actually try to ghost as much as possible. I'll go through every round I thief trying not to be seen by anyone and not killing or koing anyone. Sure it's nearly impossible to follow real ghosting rules in thievery...

However if you've never played it then you just don't understand how intense an experience it is to sneak into a heavily guarded, heavily trapped house. Your heart pounds out of your chest as your hiding right under the noses of actual people, moving only when their backs are turned, waiting patiently for the perfect moment to swipe that precious ruby they've tried so hard to protect, and yet they haven't a clue that you're even in the house.

Thief 1 and 2 are still the greatest games in the world... but sneaking past AI will never be as intense, difficult, or fun as sneaking past people. The thievery formula is probably one of the best multiplayer thief formula's out there. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than most people give it credit for. They should try it.

Sorry for the thievery plug... but I found some misinformed people I needed to enlighten. I respect your decision to focus on the editor and campaign. This is just a suggestion to keep in mind if it should arrize someday.

I can't say this enough times... Thanks so much for the hard work you're doing for the thief community. Just like Black Cat Games... you guys are my heroes!

Quote:

----------------------------------------------

Thief 1 and 2 are still the greatest games in the world... but sneaking past AI will never be as intense, difficult, or fun as sneaking past people. The thievery formula is probably one of the best multiplayer thief formula's out there. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than most people give it credit for. They should try it.

----------------------------------------------

you should try my mod :P . (lockpicking that ai can hear which is also gui, as in it is on screen, not the normal thievery way. Moving the slightest bit lights you up to 20%, and walking or running to 40%[this the ai can see easy] and when walking or running, the player model becomes unlit [cos i put in silhouette mode, making it hard to hide in those annoying tiny shadows but the shadows in every map are tuned automatically at start to be REAL dark]. Basically, it makes the game super-intense [even against the ai]. LOL, I have'nt even passed my version of Bourgeois :P )

BTW, SE, I heard the nightblade torches couldnt be taken out on the forums cos of lighting problems (theyre apparently not dynamic).

Quote:

-----------------------------------------------

If we ever do a multiplayer I would prefer it to be like a normal Thief map. One thief and the other players are taking over what would be the AI. :)

-----------------------------------------------

Sparhawk, I agree with you on that ;)

np Man. By the way, I was behind the door in the office of the church when you checked in there. A close one indeed.

Drop by the servers now and again. So we can finish what we started. =P

Hey that's another cool thing about Thievery - Human players can hear EVERY sound another person makes. Even getting out the blackjack, if you strain your ears enough. :) :)

As a guard, it makes that bow string drawing sound, very very ominous, hearing it come out from the darkness. The "OMG I'm gonna die" feeling. :)