The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved in TDM 1.03] A simple restart button?

Hypevosa

I would like to suggest the implementation of a restart button below the quit button for convenience. This would allow people to change video settings and hit the restart button. It's not necessary but could be a nice little convenience. If it's not possible or unreasonably difficult, then just ignore that this suggestion exists.

Yeah, right now, if you've fouled up an FM and have forgotten to save at startup, you have be let an AI beat yourself to death. Not very pleasant, I think.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Yeah, right now, if you've fouled up an FM and have forgotten to save at startup, you have be let an AI beat yourself to death. Not very pleasant, I think.

I thought the original poster meant "restart TDM" not "restart this mission" :)

Both can be done by "Quit" followed by a manual restart (resp. "quit mission", then "new mission", or am I wrong?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Note to self: Should learn to read and think before posting!

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I thought the original poster meant "restart TDM" not "restart this mission" :)

Both can be done by "Quit" followed by a manual restart (resp. "quit mission", then "new mission", or am I wrong?

yeah, you quit the game and exit, then go start the game again to have graphics settings change. I'm not talking about restarting a mission, but TDM so that the graphics settings will switch over if you've changed them

As I said, it is only an issue of slight convenience, but since I'm having a major graphical issue right now with the world itself warping and whatnot, and I went through those settings with all the configs I could a few dozen times, having to quit mission, then quit, then find my icon for TDM again... after 2 dozen times I really wished that I could just press one button to get it to restart so I could try the next set of graphical settings.

Edited by Hypevosa

Considering how TDM restarts when installing a new mission, this would probably be possible and a welcome feature. Have an "Apply Settings" button, which will do nothing more than to present a confirmation dialog, followed by a restart of TDM. Next to the "Apply Settings" button could be a check box for "restart without confirmation".

It would be a slight convenience, but seeing how TDM already does this when changing FMs it would be an appropriate convenience.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I'm glad you agree with me ^_^

you'd just need to make sure that the restart button was only available while they weren't in a mission, or maybe if you could make it quicksave their mission under a different file or something. Either way, that would be the only issue would be people doing it during missions.

Edited by Hypevosa

• 3 months later...

My vote for a restart is yes. I also would like one for missions. otherwise I have to die or quit out then reload.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

My vote for a restart is yes. I also would like one for missions. otherwise I have to die or quit out then reload.

The nearest to that might be to always save right at the start with a name like 'start' then bind that as a loadgame to a key described in that multi load thread somewheres around here. Not as convenient perhaps but close.

You can always pop down the console and type in vid_restart. That will restart the renderer and keep your position in the level. It will cause changed video settings like resolution to take effect immediately. Don't know if it changes texture quality settings though, but I bet it does.

As for when I screw up in a mission and I want to restart it, I just pull down the console and type kill.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Last time I checked vid_restart was a guaranteed crash, at least on my config (Windows, NVidia).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• nbohr1more changed the title to [Resolved in TDM 1.03] A simple restart button?