The Dark Mod Forums

Need A modeller

bhavyarajtayal

The last SS fits TDM styling very nicely, minus the lights on the ceiling. And everything else looks really good in that video. This is cool. Hope you stay with us. The more the merrier!

definitely sir,jst get me some work n i won't dissappoint you..........

n for the last SS,for the dark mod i can change the light from the ceilings to wall torches.....

Edited by bhavyarajtayal

well around here, orders don't exactly come "from the top" when it comes to new TDM resources. You can make what you like and submit it to the TDM team, or you can take suggestions from mappers on what they need (there is a Community Requests thread in the TDM Editors Guild, you might post there that you are looking to take requests), and hand it over to them for direct use in their map (this does not guarantee that the model will be accepted and put into a new TDM release).

Mappers like myself tend to take whatever they can get, but to get something put in an official TDM release, it does have to be run by the team.

I'll get you started. IMHO, and I'm not on the TDM team, we are lacking in official TDM released gargoyle models. Theres basically like, 2. Make a really sweet gothic style gargoyle (try to keep the poly count down or it'll probably get rejected no matter how gorgeous it is) and submit it to the team, and see what they have to say.

If you want to get real fancy, you might try to dazzle our team by creating a female AI model which we are in SEVERE lack of, (I noticed you have a custom created NPC of some kind in your video). You'd likely want to consult the wiki for more information on that one.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Model_Wishlist

Please feel free to have a look here, anything you come up with that falls into a "similar to TDM" quality, we'd be more than happy to do something with.

Just remember, any modeling info that applies to Doom3 will apply to TDM so google is quite handy.

If you want to get real fancy, you might try to dazzle our team by creating a female AI model which we are in SEVERE lack of,

We have female models, we just don't have any female vocals.

I highly recommend not starting with AI models. We have several very specific requirements for AI. Any kind of medieval-ish prop model would be good to start with, until we see what you can do. There's another list here, with reference pics: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/7366-master-models-needed-list/

Aim for less than 500 tris for most common objects. Testing has shown that rendering polys does not slow down FPS much if they don't cast shadows. It is therefore ok to have a higher poly model if you create a low-poly shadowmesh built into it (a 1000 poly model can often have a decent shadowmesh for 300 polys). Generally, objects that might only be used once in a scene (like a well) can have higher polys, but objects that might appear many times (like lights or chairs) should have less than 500. Round objects (vases, plates, etc) should have a minimum of 8-10 sides (depending on the size of the object) to appear fairly smooth. Less important parts of an object (like the legs of a stool) can have fewer sides to keep polys down.

About 200-300 polys is the average for most smallish size props, like weapons or lights. Even our wide bookshelf model is less than 250 polys, so it's not always dependent on size.

You don't generally need to sacrifice detail just to get a model less than 300 polys, however.

Texture sizes go in powers of two: 2, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048. D3 will automatically rescale TGA textures that are not in powers of two, which could stretch your texture and waste processing time (and look blurry as well). Note that the dimensions of DDS textures absolutely have to match powers of two, otherwise they appear black in-game.