The Dark Mod Forums

Female vocals

SneaksieDave

I know we technically step into the realm of being computer nerds for working on this mod, but do we honestly know no women? :P

Joking aside, the mention of female AI a couple of times in the past few days brings this topic back up. And it's of course a very good point. At one point in time, we had at least some female test vocals IIRC. @New Horizon: was that someone you were getting in to record, and if so what's her status? @GoldChocobo: do you know any willing women? That question sounds bad. :laugh: It's just really hard to imagine there are no women involved anywhere around this mod (other than a certain lady with an Austrian accent (I assume), who probably would have said something if she was interested in doing voice). @Dram, anyone at work? I'll even run it past my gf, though I don't have professional recording equipment. Did we try asking the willing ladies of TTLG? A chance to be part of TDM should be enticing.

I have two scripts out right now...one to an animation contributor, Amita, who said he might be able to get someone to do the noblewoman vocals, and one pagan one to a woman from Sweden with an interesting accent (may or may not turn out to be usable, however).

Someone mentioned a female voice actor on TTLG that had done some work for FMs, but I don't know her and don't want to just approach strangers out of the blue.

At one point in time, we had at least some female test vocals IIRC. @New Horizon: was that someone you were getting in to record, and if so what's her status?

Yup, I had tested someone for female vocals. They bailed on 3 recording sessions before the ultimate bail of moving to the mainland.

My desktop recording setup is dead until I get it fixed, so I'm not able to do anything at the moment if I wanted to. I'm still taking it easy these days, working on staying on top of remaining healthy. When I get the desktop working again, I'll put some thought into slowly getting myself back to work. I'm a bit apprehensive about it...kind of have cold feet since I wasn't able to hold up my end of the work for the mod in the first place. I don't want to enter that delusional state again, where I think I'm going to be able to get things done. Burned myself before, guess I'm just being cautious.

Not to get anyone's hopes up too high, but a guy I work with is involved with an improv-comedy acting group and thinks a couple of the women in it might be willing to do some vocal recording. The impression I get is that the performing quality is quite high, but the sticking point of course is whether they are willing to give up their time for nothing more than their names in the credits.

Springheel, would you be willing to send me some scripts that I could provide as an example of the kind of work that is needed?

Springheel, would you be willing to send me some scripts that I could provide as an example of the kind of work that is needed?

I could send you the noblewoman vocals, if you want specific lines. If it's just to show the amount of work involved, you could show them one of the scripts further down in this forum.

I could send you the noblewoman vocals, if you want specific lines.

That would be useful I think. I mentioned both the noblewoman and the pagans to my colleague, and he said he had particular individuals in mind for both types of characters.

Ok, I can post them both, shortly.

Thanks.

One thing which didn't occur to me before is that (presumably) most of the people in my colleague's improv group are going to be British, and speak with a native British accent. This might be appropriate for the noble woman, but maybe not so expected for the pagans.

Quite possibly they are good at doing non-native accents including North American, but if they are not, would that be a major issue for vocals such as the pagan?

Yes, the pagans should not really speak with british accents--we've sort of established a british accent as the default speech of Bridgeport. Pagans should have more exotic accents, preferably germanic or welsh. The woman I have doing the pagan vocals is a Swede who tries to adopt a british accent...the result is oddly exotic (sounded vaguely eastern european to me) and might work. It could also sound ridiculous, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Still, since pagans include a wide range of peoples, there's no reason there can't be many different types of accents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, I could do some vocals... might be fun, and I also have a microphone... but I don't have much time these days, and the quality is quite probably not going to be the best...

If you want to take a shot at them, let me know, and I can send you the current pagan woman script to work with.